My Sister's wedding II


“If you would repeat after me my dear”, Father Collins said to my sister on the altar of St Leo’s Catholic Church,  “I…
“I, Nmasinachi Okpara, take you, Kelechi Okoye, to be my husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.”
And Fr. Collins repeated the same words for Kelechi.
I could see Kelechi grinning from ear to ear at my sister. The happiest people I knew on Earth were getting married. I could imagine how their home would be. Wonderful!
“I now pronounce you, husband and wife”, Fr. Collins said, “you may kiss the bride.”
And that was it, my second sister was officially married. I watched her kiss her husband and my heart was filled with joy. A tear dropped from my eye and I quickly wiped it with my handkerchief. Love is a beautiful thing indeed. I let my mind travel to the events of the past week, following Nma’s traditional marriage. How I met the good looking man that kept staring at me from the other side of the church. He was one of the groomsmen. He wore a black tuxedo with a white shirt inside. The color of the tie he wore was gold. Gold was one of the colors of the day. I was also one of the bridesmaids. I didn't let any negativity stop me from being a bridesmaid, even if I was the oldest sister. Zikora winked at me and I remembered our road trip.
The road trip turned out to be marvelous. I was so glad I had accepted his offer. Thank God he wasn’t a kidnapper or serial killer. He had arrived at my house earlier than 5:30am that Sunday, not before calling to make sure I was still up for it.
“Hi, this is Zikora. Just checking to know if you’re still up for our road trip.” He had called at 4:30am.
I rubbed my eyes and yawned, “yes I am. Thanks for waking me.”
He hung up and arrived at the house 45 minutes later in a burgundy Toyota Venza.  I was impressed. Hol'up, I was impressed with his punctuality. Nmesoma, however, was impressed with his ride. My mother on the other hand was speechless. I loved the look on her face when I informed her and my father that I was leaving for Lagos with a friend of mine. She wouldn't have who to disturb anymore. My father bade me journey mercies.
Anyi ga’afu na Lagos Ada m”, my father said.
My mother looked like she had swallowed her tongue. I smirked at that and left their room. Nmesoma followed me outside, to lock the gate. I left Arondizuogu with a happy spirit. Zikora's car smelled like roses and he had enough treats for the trip, just the way I liked it. Awesome!
We drove in silence for about an hour, till at least we crossed Imo. I slept till about 7am. Then the talks started. Zikora is a wonderful talker. He engaged me in talks about music, movies and politics. I hate politics but I found what he talked about intriguing. Then we discussed what we did for a living. 
“I am the team lead at one of the Access branches”, I said.
“That’s really good”, he said, “I’m a realtor and I also have my own business. I sell wristwatches, you know, just to have an extra source of income.”
“That’s nice.  Wouldn’t you like to open an account with my bank?” I widened my eyes with enthusiasm as I asked this.
He laughed, “Adanna, Access bank, really? I’ve heard so much about them—”
“What did you hear?” I cut him off. “All banks have their modus operandi. Please for my sake, just open an account with us.” I gave him a puppy face.
He smiled and looked at me briefly before looking back at the road, “I’ll think about it.”
“How old are you?” I couldn’t resist asking.
“29”, he said, not taking his eyes off the road. He didn’t ask how old I was, I didn’t bother telling him.
We continued our trip in perfect ambience. When we got to the Niger bridge, I watched the sand colored river. It was one of the things I looked forward to during road trips to and from the East. I loved water bodies. Music from the last decade and this decade filled the air from his music player. We finally stopped at Benin to get something to eat that wasn’t junk.
Soon we were in Ore and I found myself not wanting the trip to end. I was having a good time with this guy. I didn’t want to think about the butterflies that were dancing in my belly because of him. I was meeting him for the second time. Is it possible to like someone that quickly? My thoughts were interrupted by the one who filled the thoughts.
Ebee ka I bi?” Zikora asked. “I realized I should have asked that before now.”
“Ogba, I live in Ogba”, I replied.
“Great, close to Berger. I’ll drop you off before I head home.”
“What about you?” I asked him. I didn’t want him to drive around Lagos because of me. I could always find my way from Berger.
“Don’t worry about me, Adanna. Even if I lived in Lekki, I’d still take you home. I took you on this trip remember.”
“That’s really nice of you Zikora. Thank you for this. I’m grateful.”
“You’re welcome.” He was quiet for about a minute before he added, “I live at Maryland.”
I laughed and he laughed too. Maryland wasn’t far from Ogba, he would get home quickly. It was a Sunday after all, the Lagos traffic won’t be bad. We arrived Ogba at about 4pm. Road trips with personal cars would be my thing now. There’s nothing like arriving at your destination on time and not cranky. My house was close to the famous Excellent hotel at Ogba. Zikora packed his car in front of the building I lived and helped take my box out of the boot.
“You don’t need to carry my box upstairs, I got it”, I said, taking the box from him.
“Would you just let me be a gentleman Adanna”, Zikora said, taking the box from me. “Lead the way to your flat.”
I gave up. If he wanted to be a gentleman, he should be. I went through the gate that protected the two-story building I lived in. I checked on my car, which was an urban grey Kia Rio. I had to be sure it was fine before I went up the stairs. Zikora followed me close. I lived in the first floor. I stopped to find my bunch of keys in my handbag as soon as we got to my door. There were stickers on the door, courtesy of my mum and the revivals she always attended. I turned around, ready to fight with Zikora if he as much as had a thought of coming into my apartment.
“This is where I say goodbye”, I said, facing him.
“Sure”,  he handed my box to me. “When will I see you again?”
“At the wedding; on Saturday”, I said.
He smiled, “I want to see you before then.”
“You do realize that I have to work and I’ll also be busy with the wedding preparations. Not to talk of the bridal shower and—”
“I know you’re a very busy woman Ada, but a lunch date during the week won’t hurt. Please?” He had this cute puppy face on. I couldn’t resist.
“Fine, one lunch date. I’ll call you when I’m ready for it.” With that, I opened my door and went into my apartment. I heard his footsteps as he went down the stairs. I was safe in my one bedroom apartment. I jumped up and down. The hot guy wanted to see me again. I danced around. When I was done being crazy, I laughed at myself. The next day was Monday, I needed enough rest for the week's hurdles. I called Nmesoma to tell her that I had arrived. She had wanted to know the details of the trip but I hung up, her husband, Charles, and my parents would be coming to Lagos some time this week. Nma and Kelechi should be in Lagos by Monday. 
The week ran with the speed of light. My date with Zikora was on Tuesday and it was magical. I’m not going to bore you with all the details. Just know that the he had wanted to see me again. It was difficult to see again but we talked and chatted at every given opportunity. 
“Biggest sis, you didn’t tell me you and Zikora are getting close”, Nma said to me when I and Nmesoma met up with her at the fashion designer’s shop during her dress fitting. 
“How did you know about that?” I asked her, clearly surprised. I looked at Nmesoma.
“It wasn’t me”, Nmesoma exonerated herself.
“Really guys? Zikora and Kelechi are friends. He told Kelly that he and Adanna were “hanging out”, Kelly mentioned it to me.” Nma said, as the designer zipped her dress.
I laughed, “why would I bother you with these kinda details when you’re busy with your wedding, baby?”
“It’s not a bother oh. You are my sister and I want you to be happy. Anyways, little tip for you. Zikora is actually a great guy, according to Kelly. Hold on to him”, Nma winked at me.
I laughed again when Nmesoma intervened, “of course he’s a great guy. Did Kelechi tell you that Zikora drove Ada to Lagos in his Toyota Venza?”
“He didn’t oh”, Nma laughed too. “Mehn sis, hold on to this guy oh.”
The designer laughed too. She was definitely enjoying this gossip among sisters. I admired Nma in her wedding dress. It had glitters all over it. It looked like a dress for a princess. Kelechi was lucky to be getting married to this damsel. I was lucky to have such a sister.
“I’m already holding on to him”, I assured them.
“Yes”, the three ladies chorused, clapping. 
The shower was on Friday. Nmesoma wasn’t a bridesmaid but she came. That sister of mine would never miss out on any form of fun. The bachelor’s party was also on Friday. Zikora called to tell me he wished I was with him. I laughed at that and thought to myself that he was probably with a stripper. We all tried not to get wasted as the wedding was the next day.
And the day of the wedding came. It was a beautiful Saturday morning. The sun had risen and the clouds adorned the blue sky with their white glow. My sisters and I dressed in my father’s house, as well as the other bridesmaids. My father really liked bungalows. My parents live in bungalow located in GRA Ikeja. The wedding was scheduled at 10:00am at St Leo's Catholic Church. 
I and Nmesoma were with Nma in her room again that morning talking about anything and everything. Nmesoma talked about married life, giving Nma some advice. I was blank in that subject area, but I learned from Nmesoma. My mother came to the room to check on her daughter.
Akwaeke, where’s the makeup artist? Shouldn’t you be getting ready? Hapu umu nwanyi a and start preparing”, my mother said to Nma.
“Mummy, umu nwanyi a bu umu nwanne m. Ha na'enye m advice for my marriage”, Nma replied my mum.
Onye kwesiri I nye gi advice a bu—"
“Bu Nmesoma”, I cut mum off. “Mummy, A mam, I know I’m not married. I know you don’t like to see me around because of that but I’m not going to let your words ruin my mood today like it did at the Igba nkwu. If you can’t stand me, that’s your problem.”
My mother looked shocked. She blinked at me and was about to say something before Nma chipped in.
Nne m oma, big sis is right. Stop this thing you always do to her. It’s not her fault she’s not married.”
“She’ll soon marry though, there is one fine bobo that she’s dating”, Nmesoma added.
“Nmesoma!” Nma and I exclaimed.
My mother laughed at that and we all joined her.
“Maybe you can tell me about this “fine bobo”  na’emechaa”, my mum said to me.
“Maybe”, I simply said. I wasn’t enthusiastic to talk about Zikora with my mum. She’d turn everything into marriage. I was still getting to know him and still trying to convince him to open an account with my bank. I needed money. The makeup artist arrived and we all dispersed to get ready. We also hired a cinematographer to capture every moment of the day. I wore the gold bridesmaids' dress that we had chosen. We all looked amazing.
At about 9:45am we left for the church. I conveyed the bridesmaids in my car while dad’s car conveyed mum, Nma and the maid of honor. Charles drove some other family members. I watched my father walk Nma down the aisle in her wedding gown, while the bridesmaids followed. My sister is now married. The wedding Mass continued and ended with the Thanksgiving. My mother danced to the altar of God majestically, with her peach colored dress and her gold gele. My father wasn’t much of a dancer but he did his best. Nma and Kelechi signed the marriage certificate with their sponsors while most of us waited outside the church.
It was time for the photo session. I always dreaded this part of weddings. So many people to take pictures with, so much time is spent trying to get the right pose, gathering everyone. Bride’s family, groom’s family, bride’s friends, groom’s friends and it goes on and on. Exhausting!
“Can you grace my selfie with your beauty?” Zikora whispered behind me.
I laughed and he took that as consent. He got out his phone and clicked away, we took multiple selfies.
“Have I said that you look extremely beautiful today Ada?” he said to me.
“Uhmmm, nope, you haven’t”, I said to him.
“You look extremely beautiful Ada.  My friends must see this picture on my WhatsApp status.”
I blushed at that. He knew how to compliment a woman. The photo session ended and we proceeded to the reception venue. The hall was decorated with flowers and ribbons and lights. It looked so beautiful, with gold, pink and peach here and there. The opening prayer was said and dignitaries were ushered to the high table, then it was time for the grand entrance of the couple. The DJ gave us “Skeleton move” by Master KG. I know you’re already singing in your head. Well, I scattered the dance floor with my moves. Name the dance moves, Zanku, shaku shaku, azonto, gwara gwara, and so on. I gave the crowd what they wanted. I danced in with Zikora, he was a wonderful dancer himself. We danced for a while and made way for the latest couple in town. Mr. and Mrs. Okoye danced in with “Sensima” by Skiibii. Everyone cheered as they danced in. Finally the welcome dance was over and the reception commenced fully.
 There was enough to eat and drink. Fried rice, jollof rice, salad, moi moi, semo, ofe onugbu, ofe nsala, ofe egusi and of course, ugba. I made sure I served myself ugba before anyone told me to mechie cooler. This happened after I was given the honor to make the toast. “Erima” by Davido, Tekno and Krizbeatz filled the air as the couple fed each other. They also danced to “ogene” again, “on the low” by Burnaboy, “no one like you” by Psquare and other nice songs. I was having a great time to be honest. Zikora came to me and dragged me away from the dance floor to the side of the hall. He kissed the back of my palm.
“What was that for?” I asked him, dazed.
“That, was for stealing my heart in one week”, he said, looking me in the eyes.
“Zikora, it’s my sister’s wedding, we should be dancing with them or spraying money on them”, I tried to change the subject.
“What exactly are you scared of, Ada?” He kissed the back of my palm again.
“I’ve always taken risks. They don’t end well with me. I’m scared of not taking this risk”, I tried to pull my hand from his.
“Hey, hey, take it easy”, Zikora held on to me. “There’s no rush. We’ll do it your way. We’ll go as slow as you want. I just needed to tell you that I have feelings for you.”
“Err, thank you”, was all I could say. Thank you. Really! Adanna Okpara. Thank you. Why couldn’t I tell him I had feelings for him too? 
We both walked back to our sitting positions as gifts were presented. Guests had begun to leave already which was normal, they had eaten. The chairman gave the vote of thanks and the closing prayer was said by my father. It was time for “dance, dance, dance!” I was so lost in my thoughts of Zikora that I didn’t notice the bridesmaids and some other young women gather. I didn’t know when Nma threw her bouquet of peach and white flowers that I unconsciously caught it because it was heading for my face. I snapped back to the present when everyone started clapping for me.
“You’re next sis”, Nmesoma hit me on my back with one hand, the other one on her tummy.
“Yes oh, she’s next”, I heard my mother say from a distance.
Nma smiled at me. She blew me a kiss and I couldn’t help but smile back. I turned around and caught Zikora staring at me, with a glass of wine in one hand and the other in his pocket. He had taken off his jacket and the tie. He looked really handsome. He raised the glass in the air at me and downed its contents. I held the bouquet of flowers to my chest and walked towards him. Ready to pour my heart out to him.
“Zikora, I want to make a deal with you”, I said when I got to him.
“Go on”, he said, not cutting his gaze from me.
“I have feelings for you too. I haven’t had the best of relationships but I want this to be the best. So we’ll take things slowly, no rush. I’ll take this risk with you. Deal?”
He smiled at me. “This has to be the best deal ever. Deal!
He pulled me into a hug and kissed me on the cheek. I melted in his embrace, wanting to stay there forever.
“Is this the bobo Nmesoma was talking about n'ututu?”, my mother’s voice invaded my blissful moment.
I pulled away from Zikora and heard him laugh.
“Zikoraihechukwumelum Chukwuka”, he introduced himself to my mother, “Adanna’s  friend.”
I doubt she believed we were just friends. Then she decided to be usual self. She smiled,  “friend okwa ya. You have a nice name oh and you are a very fine man.”
“Mummy!” I exclaimed putting my hand on my face. They both laughed at me. I was grateful when Aunty Obiageli came to take her away. Zikora and I found a place to sit together. We talked and watched others dancing. Nma and Kelechi were hand in hand, saying goodbye to some guests. My sister’s wedding was successful and I can bet that everyone who came for it left happy.



Glossary For the Igbo Words
Anyi ga'afu na Lagos Ada m- we’ll see in Lagos my Ada.
Ebee ka I bi- where do you live?
Na'emechaa- later
Umu nwanyi a bu umu nwanne m- these women are my sisters..
Ha na'enye m- they’re giving me..
Akwaeke- an Igbo praise for a beautiful lady.
Onye kwesiri I nye gi advice a bu- the one who should give such advice is..
A mam- I know
Igba nkwu- traditional marriage
Nne m oma- my good mother
Ofe- soup
Mechie- close
N'ututu- in the morning
Okwa ya- right


Comments

  1. Please someone should do wedding biko so I can find my own Adanna even though my name isn't Zik the Freak

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful story.... Hope We'd expect more series/episodes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol..as the Spirit leads. Let's see how it goes. Thank you for reading 💖

      Delete
  3. 💓💓💓. What an interesting story. Welldone

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Olivia, I asked for this guy's number na. Is it when he gets married you'll give me🙄

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting story..... Hope to read some more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another day, another great piece.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aye Captain 😘😘
    Mucgas gracias mi amor

    ReplyDelete
  8. I luv love stories🤩🤗 nd dis killed it😍😍...kudos dearie 👍😘

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whooo! ❤️❤️💯💯💯💯

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please I want to find my zik ooo ..is it too much to ask?..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osho free Wizzy, you want to bake cake at a wedding 🤣🤣🤣 and find love. Haba na

      Delete
  11. As beautiful as always, Olivia❤❤❤. I can't wait to read your next story😇

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anochill I love this story, more ink to your pen dearie.... I jes love love sha

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a way to find love ....... please biko can someone get married so this story would just occur with me in it life

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure Zikora behaves like me. Oliva it is really nice. I love the story...

    ReplyDelete
  15. 😍😍😍 Liv another great job again... Plz where can we sign up for some Zik 😁

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! A great piece. Welldone

    ReplyDelete
  17. This piece inundated me for almost an hour. Thank you Olivia and I trust more are on the way...Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this story...
    Zik is really a gentleman

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful read...it felt like I was present for everything, though it seems I didn't get any jollof at the wedding😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣🤣come let me give you rice
      Thank you for reading dear

      Delete
  20. Ewoo Chimoo! 🙆 I knew the love brewing was gonna be sweeeet 😋 and worth the wait!

    Thank you for this interesting piece, Miss Peace.
    More grace dear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this Adanna. She is so real. But I want ma own Zikkkkkkkkk....lol. Babes, this is creative and I'm learning skills oo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't want it to end😎

    ReplyDelete
  23. One thing I like here is the confidence you built up between the ịgba nkwụ and the white wedding. Even mumsi confirm am.

    Nice one Liv. You are just too much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance