My sister's wedding (scratch that, My wedding!)


“Adannaya, kedu ihe I chere? This shade of green is fine. In fact we’re not going with this green…”
“Ada m, I know the perfect baker, Aunty Rose, she baked the cake for Uzo's youngest daughter's wedding…”
“Ada ehhh, why don’t we use nwanyi Ijele again, you know we didn’t call her for your Igba nkwu, I’m sure she’s not happy…”
And my mother’s suggestions went on and on. I wanted to object to so many things but my father had told me to let her be. It was her first daughter’s wedding, finally, let her plan. But I didn’t want my wedding to be what my mother wanted. If I had my way, my boo and I would go somewhere peaceful and quiet, invite just our family members and a few friends. I’d get married on a beach or at the banks of a river. I imagined myself descending from a slope, walking towards a river. With a few friends around. Lights would shine above us from the wooden arch that was set up, just for my wedding. The love of my life would be waiting for me, beside the priest and I’d smile at him. He’d smile right back at me and I would be lost in his eyes, in his dimple and I’ll think, yes, he’s all mine, forever. The waters would glow from our love, the air would smell of nothing but romance and happiness. The hills surrounding us would represent how strong and everlasting our love is. And we’ll both say “I do” and kiss each other for the first time as man and wife. The crowd would cheer us and….
“Adannaya, are you even listening to me? I no kwa ebe a?” My mother’s voice brought me back to the fashion designer’s shop. 
“Yes mummy, this green is perfect for the bridesmaids and that’s that”, I answered her. We had gone through all the shades of green this world had to offer and my mother was still dissatisfied. Heck, I was exhausted!
“Okay, jiri ya nwayoo, I just want everything to be perfect for you”, my mother said, looking sad. She did know how to make me loose my mind. Ever since the wedding preparations started, my mother had her hand in every tiny detail. 
“Mummy, you know I appreciate all you’ve done, don’t be all mushy with me right now”, I said to her as we concluded with the fashion designer.
“Mush gini?” my mother looked confused.
I laughed at that and she laughed too. “And Wizzy cakes is baking my cake, I heard she’s really good, she’s a friend of a friend.” My mum didn’t argue with me, thank God. We left there and continued with the other preparations. Through all the stress, I remembered how everything started, from my sister’s wedding. God bless Nma and Kelly for bringing Zikora into my life, he was everything to me. We had started slowly, like we agreed. We went on dates, and normal hangouts. He never pushed me for anything. We saw each other almost every week for the next 4 months. I found out he was the only son and the first child. He had two younger sisters who looked up to him. He was my boyfriend in my head, but I hadn’t given the consent. At the end of the fourth month, it was time for Nmesoma to give birth as her gestation period was over. I remembered being with Zikora at his house when my phone rang. It was a Saturday evening and we were seeing movies together.
“Big sis, how far?” it was Nma.
“Baby girl, I’m fine, what’s—”
“Wherever you are now, just start coming, Nmesoma is in labour”, Nma cut me off.
“Oh my God, wow, which hospital? Why am I even asking, I know the freaking hospital. I’m coming, I’m coming.” I hung up and stood to leave.
“What’s going on?” Zikora asked me, worried.
“Nmeso is in labour, I have to go now. I am sorry but movie night has  to wait, I have…” I was so confused that Zikora had to shake me to calm me down.
“Hey, hey. Take it easy. Deep breaths. That’s good, breathe! Your sister and her baby will be fine. Come on, I’ll drive you there”, Zikora said. 
He drove me to St Michael’s hospital, calming me down all the way. When we arrived, he had to find a place to park while I dashed inside the hospital to meet my family. I found Nma and my parents. 
“How’s she?” I asked, hugging them.
“Well, we’re waiting. Charles is with her”, Nma told me.
“Okay, okay. Where’s Kelly?” I asked her.
“He had to leave, but he’ll soon be back”, she answered me.
My mother kept pacing and praying and being dramatic.
Nwanyi, bia nodu ala, stop this pacing. You’re making all of us nervous”, my father said to my mother.
“My first grandchild, ehn. Why won’t I pace, why won’t I?” My mum said.
Nma and I giggled a bit, mum was so dramatic. Just then, Zikora found us and my mum was distracted a bit from her pacing and worry.
Heeiii, nwoke oma, you came. Daalu nna. Kedu? You look finer than the last time I saw you.” My mum said.
“Mummy!” I was so embarrassed. Zikora smiled and answered her affably and greeted my father. Nma kept smiling mischievously at me. How did I end up with this crazy family? We waited for about 15 minutes before Charles came out of the ward. It was about 8pm already.
“It’s a boy!” he screamed, “I’m a father.” We all took turns congratulating him. Only family was allowed to see Nmesoma and the baby. So I let my parents and Nma go in first while I waited with Zikora. They came out soon after and I went in to see my sister and my nephew.
“Latest mum in town”, I said to Nmesoma as soon as I came in. She looked so exhausted but happy. Her son was in her hands, suckling from her breasts. It was a beautiful sight.
“Adannaya, I’m a mum. Imagine me, that’s so unserious. A mum”, Nmesoma said to me as I gave her a kiss on her head. 
“He’s so beautiful Nmeso, you’ll be a great mum. I’m so sure of that”, I assured her.
“Thank you. I heard Zikora is here.”
“Yes he is”, I said, cooing the baby, “what’s his name?”
“His name is Charles, biko. I don’t have strength to think of Igbo name now. And don’t change the subject, Adanna. Zikora is here, for you. And I know he isn’t here just as a friend, so what exactly are you waiting for before you call him your boyfriend? To me you guys are already dating. Pity this guy or four months isn’t enough already?”
“Nmesoma, why are you worried about me and my love life when you just gave birth?” I asked her.
“Cos no one has been worried for a while now. Nma has been busy with her marriage, you avoid going home because of mummy and my antenatal treatment has been taking my time.”
I thought about what Nmesoma. Four months seemed long enough. I knew Zikora and he was amazing, besides my feelings for him had grown. So why was I delaying? Nmesoma was right, I had to take the next step.
“Thank you sis, being a mum has made you serious a bit”, I kissed her and the baby again. “I have a man to get.”
“Now that’s my girl, go get him”, Nmesoma yawned, “I’m going to sleep once this young man falls asleep.”
I left her to find Zikora. I had no idea what I was going to say to him yet. I found him talking to Nma and Kelechi, who had obviously arrived while I was with Nmesoma. I went straight to Zikora without thinking, and on tiptoes, placed my lips on his, ignoring my sister and her husband. I heard Nma and Kelechi gasp in surprise and adoration, but I was too lost in the kiss at the moment. It was exactly as I imagined it and even more. Zikora kissed me back softly, his lips tasted of the orange juice we had drunk earlier in his house. I savored and tasted it slowly, then I parted my lips to let his tongue in and for mine to explore the mouth that I had longed for. I put my fingers in his hair and was oblivious of my surrounding. I was in heaven. 
“Okay, it’s enough guys, get a room”, Kelechi cleared his throat.
And we stopped to catch our breaths, our lips still a few inches a way. Zikora smiled down at me and asked, “what was that for?”
“That was for making me fall in love with you. I have the right to kiss my boyfriend, right?” I said to him.
“Boyfriend”, he beamed, “I like the sound of that.” He drew me closer and kissed me again, this time deeper and less gentle.
My sister and her husband kept cheering, I heard Kelechi whistle and clap and a nurse came to tell us to stop our noise. We apologized and left the hospital, mirthful. The following days and months went by pretty well with my boyfriend. I was having the time of my life. This was far better than my previous relationships and guess what, he wasn’t AS. Yes! Zikora made me happy, he encouraged me, he corrected me when I was wrong and he even opened an account with me, finally. He was the best partner I could ever wish for.
 My 29th birthday came by about 6 months later. Zikora had taken me out for a very nice dinner. He made me order whatever I wanted and I did. On our way home he got me a cake and gave me a very beautiful wristwatch that was protected by the most beautiful jewelry box I had ever seen. I couldn’t help but wonder if the box was more expensive than the wristwatch itself. As if that wasn’t enough, he drove me home and wanted to eat the cake he had gotten for me.
“Why do you want to eat this cake this night? Can’t you leave it with me?” I said to him, opening my door. I wanted to eat a very large portion of the cake. It was my birthday after all.
“Just open your door, baby because I must eat this cake”, he replied.
“Scam, instead of you to allow me to enjoy—”
“SURPRISE!”
“Oh my God!” I screamed and almost jumped into Zikora and the cake. As soon as I opened my door, the lights in my living room went on and the “surprise” scream scared me. There in my living room were Nma and Kelechi, Nmesoma, Charles who was carrying Charles Junior and a few of my friends. Zikora closed my door and was having the laugh of his life. Nma collected the cake from him and set it on the center table.
“Happy birthday big sis”, Nma said.
“Happy birthday Adannaya oh”, Nmesoma said.
And the happy birthdays continued. My eyes were getting really wet. Even Charles Jr. kept cooing and speaking baby language to me. I was so happy. I turned around to face Zikora.
“You did this, didn’t you?” I went to him and punched him on his shoulders.
“Oww, ouch”, he laughed, “happy birthday beautiful and yes, I did this because you deserve beautiful surprises all the  time.”
“Thank you”, I said and kissed him.
“Maybe you should cut your cake and give us our share before the kiss can continue”, Kelechi said.
“Yes, please, the cake. I want that cake”, Nmesoma said, separating me from Zikora and handing me a small knife.
“You guys were really prepared, weren’t you?” I said to her, collecting the knife, “foodie, see you see fat oh.”
“Aunty nye m cake biko”, she replied and everyone laughed. They all started singing the happy birthday song for me and they spelled my name for me to cut the cake.
The party continued and of course I danced to the marvelous songs our makeshift DJ, Kelechi, played. When I was tired of eating cake and dancing, I sat down on one of my couches and Zikora came to sit with me.
“Enjoying yourself?” he asked.
“Yes I am, very much”, I replied with a smile.
“I got something else for you”, he said, handing me another jewelry box, the size of the first one.
This guy had gone to get me another wristwatch was all I thought as I collected it, “so because you sell wristwatches you want to bombard me with all the wristwatches... oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!” I screamed as soon as I opened the jewelry box. I put one hand over my mouth as my eyes began to tear again.
I didn’t notice that everyone had gathered round us and had brought out their phones to capture the moment as Zikora went on one knee. Psquare's “I love you” was playing in the background.
“Dear Adanna, I know it’s been maybe over a year I met you and I know we haven’t dated for years and years but these months have been all I need to know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I love you. You’re amazing, you’re beautiful, you’re funny, you’re hardworking and above all, you make me happy. There are so many women but you’re the only one I see. You’re are the only one for me. So..” he took the diamond ring that was in the jewelry box I had opened and held it out to me, “will you grow old with me? Will you continue to make me laugh forever? Will you continue to be the reason I’m happy? Will you marry me Adanna?”
I cried. Yes I did. I was just filled with so much emotions. I wasn’t expecting this and I innocently thought I was getting another beautiful wristwatch.
“Yes, I’ll continue to make you happy, yes I’ll grow old with you, yes I’ll marry you Zikora”, I replied and he put the ring on my finger. I pulled him up to myself and kissed him. I heard everyone screaming and cheering but it was nothing compared to the happiness I felt inside.
“I thought it was another wristwatch”, I said to him.
He smiled, “me too, I could have sworn it was a wristwatch inside the box.”
I laughed at that and everyone took turns hugging and congratulating us.
“I told you you were next, didn’t I?” Nmesoma said to me, carrying Charles Jr.
“Yes you did” I said to her laughing. I took Charles from her and she and Nma dragged me into my room to make a call.
O gini Nma, I makwa oge o bu? Why are you calling me now?” my mum said to Nma at the other end of the line. It was about 10pm.
Nne m oma, it’s just 10, relax”, Nma said.
Mu relax, I will—”
“Mummy, Adanna has something to tell you, I’m giving the phone to her.” Nma cut my mum off and handed the phone to me. I shook my head that I didn’t want to talk to my mum yet.
Nara ya phone nwanyi a”, Nmesoma scolded, taking Charles Jr. from me.
I took the phone from Nma and took a deep breath, I could hear my mum saying hello over and over again. “Hello mummy, I’m getting married!” I intended to say it simply but I screamed into the phone. 
“Thank you Jesus ohhhhhhh”, my mother screamed back, “finally, He has done it for you. I knew He would. I have been praying for you. My neighbors must hear this. Papa Adanna ohhhh, your Ada is getting married ohh… Is it that fine man, Zikora?”
I laughed, “yes mummy, it’s the fine man.”
Nwa m, I di sharp. Now we have to start planning, this wedding must be big…” 
I heard my father scold her in the background and collect the phone to talk to me. He congratulated me and blessed me. That was 6 months ago. We had to go through the marriage course organized by the church, which was for 6 months. Zikora and his people had also met with my father for the usual bride price payment and other traditions that needed to be done. 

So guys.. this space is for anyone who wants to advertise their business with me. Today I’m talking about Wizzycakes and confectioneries. She bakes any type of cake you want, birthday, graduation, wedding cakes etc. And she  also makes any snack you want, from small chops to frittatas to pizzas. Her contact is displayed on an example of what she can do for you.

 Don’t forget to tell her you heard about her from livportals. Bye!



The wedding preparations were exhausting. My mother was always on my neck, my sisters had their own opinions, my friends had their suggestions, even Zikora’s mother and sisters had one or too things to say too. There were days I just wanted to disappear but Zikora was there to encourage me.
“Zii, I just want to elope with you, get married on a beach”, I said to him during one of our long calls.
“Don’t worry baby, everything will be fine. Just let everyone be”, Zikora had said. And everything was indeed fine.
 The igba nkwu was successful and I couldn’t wait for the church wedding. Finally, it came and I had butterflies in my stomach that morning. How could you be the happiest person in the world and still be very nervous? My sisters were there with me as the make up artist did her job.
“I’m really nervous and excited, is this how both of you felt on your wedding days?” I asked them.
“Don’t worry big sis, how you feel is very normal. But at the end of the day, you’ll be married to the love of your life”, Nma reassured me. She was my matron of honor. She wore a peach colored gown instead of the aquamarine dress the other bridesmaids wore.
“Yes Adanna, you don’t need to worry, all you have to worry about is looking beautiful”, Nmesoma added, “we’re gonna leave you so that the makeup artist can do her job well.”
They left me to keep preparing. We dressed in my father’s house as usual. I wore my wedding gown and my mum came in to see me.
“My beautiful Ada, asa m”, my mummy said, she had tears in her eyes. It had been a while my mum cried.
“Mummy what is it, biko don’t cry”, I said to her.
“I’m just so happy for you. I know I can be unbearable sometimes, I hope you will be able to forgive my tantrums.”
“Mummy I’m not angry at you”, I laughed, “you’re my mother and I know you. And I love you.”
My mum hugged me and we went outside together. The others had left so it was just my parents and I in the compound.
“My daughter is very beautiful indeed”, my father said to me when we got to his car.
“Thank you daddy”, I smiled at my dad. We got into the car to drive to the church, the venue was supposedly Zikora's parish, St Agnes Maryland. Along the way I realized my dad wasn’t driving to Maryland.
“Daddy, are you confused? Where are we going to? Did you forget the way to St Agnes? I don’t want to be late for my wedding—”
“Adanna, calm down. You won’t be late for your wedding. We’re going there”, my dad replied.
“But—”
“Just relax and enjoy the ride, nne”, my mum said to me.
I didn’t understand what was happening and I wanted to worry, but my parents kept reassuring me that everything was fine. Before I knew what was going on, we were on third mainland bridge, far away from Maryland. I wanted to call my sisters or Zikora but I wasn’t with my phone. 
“Mummy, daddy, this isn’t funny anymore. Do you people want me to cry on my wedding day? Where are you taking me to? It’s already past 10. The wedding was supposed to start at 10.” I screamed at my parents. I was almost hyperventilating.
My dad just smiled and said, “we’re taking you to the beach, to the venue of your wedding. Now breathe.”
“Wait, what? I don’t understand.”
“You will soon enough.” That was mummy.
We drove in silence till we got to Oniru beach and just a short distance away from the ocean, I saw the little set up. Chairs had been arranged for a few people and I could see some of my friends and Zikora’s family already seated. At the makeshift altar, I saw Nma and the rest of the bridesmaids standing with the groomsmen. The priest was there too, and so was Zikora, looking handsome in his black suit and aquamarine bowtie. I wanted to cry but I’d ruin my makeup. I was having my dream wedding. I was getting married on the beach! My entire family knew about it and they didn’t tell me. All I could think of as my father walked me to the altar was that I saw the wedding invitations, the venue was St Agnes, I saw it. How had Zikora convinced Fr. Ikenna to host the wedding on a beach. I got to Zikora and my heart melted.
“Hello beautiful”, Zikora said to me.
“You did this again, didn’t you?” I asked him.
“Yes I did this, and your family and mine too”, he said, holding my hand. “Like I said, you deserve to receive beautiful surprises all the time.”
“How did you—”
“Shh, not now, we have to get married, remember?” he cut me off.
I smiled and Fr. Ikenna began the ceremony of Holy Matrimony. The readings were taken, the homily was given and it was time for our vows. I could hear the soft crashing of waves in the distance and I couldn’t help but admire how the color of the day fit the color of the sea. Aquamarine. Zikora and I had written our vows and it was magical.
“Dear Adanna Okpara, you’re my everything. I am really glad I didn’t listen to the prophet that asked us to stay away from women, because I wouldn’t have found you…” He winked and everyone laughed. I remembered how we met when Umu obiligbo’s “culture” was playing. He had used a line from the song to speak to me. He continued, “you bring joy to my life, you bring happiness to me. I like your small feet, and every other thing about you. I like your hair and your beautiful eyes. You light up my world, you make everything else matter. I wake up each morning and I’m happy because I know that I’ll hear your voice and see your  face. I go through everything because I know that you’ll be there to cheer me up.”
“I want you to know that I will always love you. When you’re sick or healthy, I’ll love you. When you’re old and grey, I’ll take care of you and still love you. If you get broke, I’ll be there for you and I’ll love you. When you get richer, I’ll still be there for you. Through everything, I’ll love you. Till death do us part.”
Everyone clapped and “awwned” and I am so sure I shed tears. It was my turn to say my vows. Zikora is better with words but I like to believe I tried.
“Dear Zikoraihechukwumelum Chukwuka, your name is very long.” Everyone laughed at that, even Zikora and the priest. I continued anyways, “but it’s one of the things I love about you. It’s unique and I’m definitely showing the world what God did for me. He gave you to me. And I want you to know that I’ll always love you. You bring out the best in me and you make me happy. You show me what love is. You spoil me with your tiny gifts and huge, huge surprises.” I had to exaggerate the “huge surprises.”
 “You’re my light too. I’m so glad I went on that road trip with you, I’m so glad I took the risk with you. I’m so glad I wasn’t rude to you the day we met. And I’m so glad you stuck with me, through everything. So yes, I’ll grow old with you, I’ll love you in sickness and in health, I’ll cherish you when you’re old and grey, when you’re poor or rich, when you’re sick and healthy. Till death do us part.” 
Everyone clapped and I could hear some whistling too, I guessed that was Kelechi. We took our rings and put them on our fingers and Fr. Ikenna pronounced us husband and wife. 
“You may kiss the bride”, Fr Ikenna said. And that was it, I was married to the best person on Earth. We kissed as the waves crashed and the breeze sang sweet nothings to me. The Mass was over soon enough and pictures were taken. I didn’t know how I endured that part, but I did, smiling through it all. The reception venue was at a hotel close by and it was beautifully decorated. I didn’t even know they changed the venue, what if some guests had gone to St Agnes or the other reception venue? I didn’t want to think about how Zikora had achieved this. But he really was special, he gave me everything I wanted and I was lucky that he chose me to spend the rest of his life with me. As the reception continued, I thought about everything that had happened to me and one thing was sure, my sister’s wedding was indeed a blessing to me.


Glossary for the Igbo words
Kedu ihe I chere- what do you think.
Igba nkwu- traditional wedding.
I no kwa ebe a- are you here?
Jiri ya nwayoo- take it easy.
Gini- what
Nwanyi, bia nodu ala- woman, come and sit down.
Nwoke oma- good man
Daalu nna- thank you Daddy (daddy here is a pet name for a young man)
Kedu- how are you?
Biko Nye m cake- please give me cake.
Ogini Nma, I makwa oge obu- what is it Nma? Do you know what time it is?
Nne m oma- my good mother.
Mu- me
Nara ya phone nwanyi a- take the phone from her, this woman.
Nwa m I di sharp- my child, you are sharp.
Asa m- my beautiful one.

Comments

  1. Wow! So beautiful a story. #Beach wedding... Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes oh..get married with the fishes 😁
      Thanks for reading dear

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, I smiled through out the story, it is never too late for anybody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed every part of the story. Love is beautiful with the right person. I was smiling from the beginning to the end. A very good read aboosbae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love sha
    E get as e be
    But e still make sense good or bad

    Nice 9ne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Wow! This is awesome and brings beautiful images to my mind. Thanks for the awesome use of both languages. I look forward to learning from you dear. You did great here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be the "hard guy hard guy" but this is a very beautiful story with the smooth use of both languages.... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading.. don't do hard guy hard guy oh

      Delete
  7. Love is really a beautiful thing❤️ And u know the best way to express it in writing🙌. Very wonderful piece dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really beautiful. Well done!👏

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beach weddings re magical🤗...dey're d best... beautiful story Liv!!! 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It keeps get better. Thank you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing!!
    Makes me re-think as a man like I still have alot to learn In being romantic to a lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid Ending.. Love always wins and yes patience is a virtue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful story Miss Peace.. Thank you for the mental trip outta our environments.
    Looking forward to the next write-up.

    More power 💪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama d mama.. I appeeappre you always. Thank you 🤗

      Delete
  15. Interesting slice from the cske. You have a sharp sense of your culture, a sure sense of humour, and this sheer piece of sweet story is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful. Thank God the Boyfriend in the head later found its way to your mouth and finally to the alter.

    A nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwn I feel like getting married already, I could picture myself in ada's role infact my name is even Ada sef... A lovely 1 I must say

    ReplyDelete
  18. Liv 😭 So that's how Zikora was taken ...Beautiful piece as always ❤and then a Beach Wedding 😍😍....Thank you Livia... The images were so vivid and felt like I was present all through 🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is emotional. I can't believe I'm shedding tears. Adanna didn't deserve any less.

    Good Job, Liv.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance