The other side of me 5

 

Muse: Ebube Anochili

“How could you let her out of your sight, Obinwanne?” Chike barked on the phone.
Obi was still nursing the bump on his head. His boys hadn’t moved fast enough to follow Kosarachi and the stupid guy that was with her. He had thought of a lot ways to inflict excruciating pain on him.
“It won’t happen again boss, we’ll find her,” he said.
“Ten years, Obi, it’s taken 10 years to actually find her and you let her slip through your fingers,” Chike’s tone was menacing.
Obi sighed, he knew that tone, “I’m sorry, boss, I’ll get her for you. I found her the first time, I’ll do it again.”
“You better, don’t come back here without her,” Chike hung up and touched the scar on his face again. He remembered how he used to force himself inside Kosarachi, his cousin’s only child. She was so small, and that was the fun of it. His cousin had gotten married to a man he knew nothing about. The man had left her and she had moved back to Onitsha with her daughter. Then she had died and left the girl for who? He had used her, she was a very pretty little thing at 13. She would be 25 now. He wondered how sexy she would be and he groaned. He wanted a taste of her before he killed her slowly.

Hi guys, so this space is for Bature Craft beer. It's a brewery in Nigeria and they produce nice beers. Follow them on IG: baturebrewerylagos. 
The beer in the photo is YMY, "yes means yes" and it was named that to help fight against sexual harrasment. Let's fight sexual harrasment together. Yes means yes, no isn't yes, I'm thinking about it isn't yes.
                                                                                                   ***
Nifemi had driven them to his house at Ojuelegba first to get some clothes and some personal things before they hit the road again. He had hidden the gun he took from Obi in the bag of clothes. Sara or should he call her Kosarachi had said they needed to lay low. He had the perfect place in mind. His grandma’s house in Ogbomoso. Her uncle wouldn’t look for her there. Once they got there, they’d figure out what to do next. He watched her sleeping beside him. Wurld’s “trobul” filled the air softly from the radio. He smiled to himself and sang along with Wurld…
“I don’t know why I chose you…
I don’t know why I want you…
Can’t be the only eyes on you…
Your love bring me plenty trobul, trobul…”
He skipped some of the verses, then continued,
“girl you’re the one for me (*4)…
All the girls dem a whyne it for me..
Drop it low dirty whyne it for me..
You’re the only one that I see…
You’re the only one for me…”
The lyrics of the song described his feelings for the lady sleeping next to him. He looked at her again. She was trouble, but he didn’t mind. He didn’t know why he chose her or why he wanted her so much, but he did. So much had happened in a few hours. He tossed some of the things she had told him around his head as he gravitated the expressway. She had told him she lost her mum at 13 and had gone to live with her mother’s only surviving relative, Uncle Chike. The asshole that had raped her. Then she had run away and created an alter ego. That was who he knew. She never mentioned her father or how she had coped the past years on her own. He didn’t pester her for that information, when she was ready, she’d tell him. 

He chuckled as he remembered their first date. She had told him her Igbo name was Adanne. Another lie. Although she did look like an Ada. First daughters were fighters and survivors. She had gone through a lot alone, he wasn’t gonna let her do that again. Whether she liked it or not, she was stuck with him. Another song filled the air and he checked the time, it was 9:55pm. He wondered what his grandma would say to him coming to her home at this hour. They had gotten into Ogbomoso and were heading to Sabo, his maternal home. Mama would not pick any call after 7pm, so there was no point calling.
Kosarachi stirred a bit and opened her eyes.
“Where are we?” she asked, trying to adjust her eyes. She had taken off her contacts at some point. She managed to wear them back again.
“Taki, we’ll be in Sabo soon,” he said. “How are you?'
“Cranky, but I’m okay,” she said, looking outside the window. The dark sky gloomed in the distance, the moon was a little shy tonight and was shaped like a banana. The night breeze would have been refreshing, if the AC wasn’t functional and the windows weren’t wound up.
Nifemi thought for a moment before he said, “he would have killed you if you went back, you know that right?”
“Yes”, she said.
“But you would have gone with Obi, just to keep me alive.”
 “I like you better alive.”
Nifemi smiled, he’d go with that. They drove in silence for about 15 minutes before he pulled up in front of a black gate. He got out of the car and made a phone call. He spoke on the phone for a few minutes and in less than 30 seconds someone came to open the gate. He got back into the car and drove into the compound. The compound housed a bungalow. Nifemi got out again and opened the car door for Kosarachi. She didn’t seem to want to get out, so he stuck his hand out for her to take it. She looked at him, offered him a weak smile and took his hand. 
“Brother Nifemi, ekurole oh, this is a surprise oh. Bawo no ise?” the young man that opened the gate said to them.
“Ma binu Akin, I’m sorry to disturb you at this hour,” Nifemi said, “work is fine.” He looked at Sara and he paused for a second before he added, “this is my friend Sara. Sara, this is my cousin Akin.”
Akin and Kosarachi exchanged pleasantries. Akin knew something was up, his cousin  didn’t usually show up out of the blue, much less with a woman. A very beautiful woman. But he wouldn’t probe this night.
“Is mama awake?” Nifemi asked.
“Rara oh, she’s sleeping, you’ll see her in the morning,” Akin said.
“No wahala, thank you, Akin. You can go back to sleep, I’ll lock up,” Nifemi replied, bringing their bags out of the boot. They all went inside.

                                ***
Kosarachi scanned the room Nifemi had led them to. It had a wardrobe that he had opened and dumped their bags. The bed had no sheets but Nifemi covered it with one he found in the wardrobe. She sat down on the bed and noticed the mat at the edge of wall.
“Do you need to shower or you’re too tired?” Nifemi asked her.
“I’ll shower,” she said.
Nifemi opened a door in the room which was definitely the bathroom. She heard water running and closed her eyes for a second, trying to take in everything. Nifemi returned to the room a second later.
“So, the water is running, there’s a bathing soap and a towel. You’ll find some clothes to change into in the bag. Err, I’ll let you freshen up while I look for something for us to eat. I’ll be back.”

 He left her alone and she was grateful for the silence. She could think of no way out of this mess rather than going as far away from Nifemi as possible. He didn’t deserve to be in this mess with her. Tomorrow morning, she’ll thank him for keeping her safe till this moment and leave without a trace. She got up, took of her wig, her contacts and her clothes and showered, thankful for the coldness of the water all over her body. Nifemi had packed a few shorts and polos for her. She took out a pink polo and white shorts and wore them. He returned soon after, with a tray. In the tray was a plate of bolied yam and fried eggs, two bottles of water and a beer.
“Dinner is served,” he said, placing the tray on the bed in front of her.
“You know, it’s actually really late to eat this,” Kosarachi smiled, “and the beer.”
“All ye weight watchers, if you won’t eat, I’ll eat yours,” he replied, “and the beer is for me. God knows I need it.”
“How did you come up with this right now?” she asked, picking up a fork to dig in.
“Oh, I found the boiled yam in the pot. Just heated it and fried some eggs,” he said.
“The egg is tasty,” she said, with a mouthful. They ate in silence.
“We can’t tell them the truth, your grandma and Akin,” Kosarachi said after they had finished eating.
“I know baby, I’ll just tell Mama that you’re homeless and you need a place to stay,” he joked.
Kosarachi laughed at that, then added, “well, that should work and please, don’t call me baby.”
“You’d have to forgive me, I still don’t know what to call you, Sara or Kosarachi.”
She sighed. She could feel his eyes on her and she felt a little nervous.
He brushed his thumb against her cheek and said, “no one deserves to go through what you have gone through, just know that I got you. You’re not alone anymore.”
“Femi, you’re better off without me.”
“Too late for that, I’m in love with you and I’m not gonna let anything happen to you. I like how you call me Femi.”
She shifted, definitely uncomfortable with the word love. “You’re in love with a lie. I am a lie. Aren’t you at least repulsed by me?” Kosarachi asked, exasperated. She was thinking of the rape and how dirty she felt.
“Hey, hey, stop that, stop telling yourself that you aren’t worthy of love. Because you are.” Nifemi took her into his arms. “And I’m not repulsed by you, I’ll never be. You’re not a lie, you’re right here and I’m right here too.” He rocked her a bit when he felt her breaking down in his embrace.
“Why don’t you get some sleep and we’ll talk about this tomorrow, okay,” Nifemi said, wiping a tear from her cheek. “You take the bed, I’ll lay on the mat.”
She chuckled, “why don’t you take the bed and I’ll take the mat or we can both share the bed.”
“I would love to share the bed with you but we both know that’s a bad idea right now. Get some sleep,” he kissed her forehead and got up to take the tray back to the kitchen. 

By the time he came back, she was fast asleep on the bed. He covered her with the blanket. He cleaned up a bit too, careful not to disturb her. He opened the beer, YMY “yes means yes”. It was a new beer. He took a gulp and it danced around his taste buds a bit before he swallowed. “Not bad,” he said to himself. He couldn’t help but remember Kosara's rape encounter when he nursed the drink. Chike needed to pay for sexually assaulting her. God knows how many other young girls he had assaulted. He finished his drink, set his mat and fell fast asleep.

                                                                                                    ***
Obi was running out of options. If he didn’t have Kosarachi with him in Onitsha by Monday, Chike would have his neck. He and his boys had gone to her apartment and it was locked, she definitely hadn’t gone there. He hated that he hadn’t found out the address of the boy that was with her. That was very stupid on his part. He placed one of his goons at her apartment, if she or anyone came there, they’d take the person and use as leverage to get her back.

                                                                                                          ***
Kosarachi stirred on the soft mattress. She had had a dream, of guns and running, of fast driving and talks, of yam and eggs, of her past and her present, of a man who looked at her in a way no one else had. She opened her eyes. It wasn’t a dream, it was her life. As pathetic as it was, there was still something or someone that made her smile; Nifemi. She must have been really tired cos she hadn’t stirred at all till now. She found her phone and checked the time, it was past 8. Oh shit, she had overslept. She was usually up before 8. But she didn’t know what to do, she was in a strange place, with people. Nifemi wasn’t in the room, but she could hear distant chatter. She was still thinking of what to do when the door opened.
“Oh good, you’re awake, sleep well?” Nifemi asked her, giving her a kiss on her cheek.
“Yes, yes I did. I slept so well,” she smiled. He had kissed her good morning. What was happening to her insides?
“Fantastic, time to meet my grandma,” he pulled her up 
“No wait! I can’t see her looking like this, with my gold hair and nose ring and—”
“Stop talking! My grandma has never been one to judge. And she’ll love you, you’re beautiful, you’re smart.” He squeezed her arm to reassure her. “You’ll be fine, mama isn’t monster.”
“Fine, if you say so.”

She took deep breaths and followed him outside to where his grandma was. She took in the compound, it was large and had something like a farm at the corner of the house. She saw Akin sweeping and smiled at him when he waved at her. Nifemi’s grandma was sitting on a plastic chair, picking beand and possibly making Akin’s job of sweeping more difficult. She was a dark woman with wrinkles on her face that Kosarachi thought was once very beautiful. She wore a yellow blouse and tied a black and yellow patterned wrapper on her waist with a black scarf on her hair. She sang a Yoruba song that Kosarachi didn’t recognize. 
“Mama, owam bi bayi”, Nifemi said to his grandma.
“Ekaro ma”, Kosarachi said, kneeling and practicing her Yoruba.
“Ahh, ekaro omo mi, ba wo ni?” Mama said, smiling from ear to ear and tapping Kosarachi on her cheek.
Kosarachi wondered why the old lady was so mirthful, but maybe she was just basically nice. “mo wa paa ma, I'm fine ma. Thank you for your hospitality. Ese ma.”
“It’s not a problem dear, just rest well. Anything you need, just ask me. I will give it to you. Wa jeun omo mi, come and eat my child. You will have hot ogi  and akara for breakfast,” mama said, standing up.
“Akin, Akin, leave that sweeping and bring food for my daughter jare.”
“Gbeni ma,” Akin said, dropping the broom and heading inside. He too was smiling at Kosarachi. She wondered what was going on.
“Oh fine gaan,” mama said to Nifemi but smiling at Kosarachi. He agreed and they spoke more in Yoruba. Kosarachi didn’t understand what they said. She excused herself and went inside to brush her teeth. She wanted to help Akin in the kitchen but he wouldn’t let her. She gave up and went back to her room. She and Nifemi had breakfast in the room.
“You told them I was your girlfriend, didn’t you?” she asked Nifemi with a mouthful of akara.
“Yes. It was either that or the homeless story. My girlfriend is sick and she needs a place to rest for the weekend. Did you have a better idea?” Nifemi asked, with an eyebrow raised.
“No,” Kosarachi laughed, “no better idea. At least now I understand why they were treating me like an egg. Do they know there’s a gun inside our bag too?”
“Hahahaha. Very funny. They don’t know about the gun. Shhh.” He put his finger on his lips to protect their secret.  “Mama is so happy, by the way, she was already thinking marriage and was about to call my mum. I stopped her right away.”
Kosarachi’s smile thinned, there was no marriage for her. She shouldn’t get carried away by their kindness. She had to leave them soon. Today at most.
Nifemi noticed her mood change, “what is it?”
“Nothing,” she said.
“Don’t put up that wall baby. Not after yesterday. Please talk to me,” Nifemi said.
“It’s just that there’s still so much you don’t know about me. Mama is nice and she doesn’t deserve to be deceived like this. I’m not the one for her grandson,” Kosarachi said, sadly.
Nifemi took the tray of food and placed it on the floor. He moved closer to her and took her face in his hands, “listen to me, YOU are the one for me. YOU. Kosarachi or Sara or even Ada, YOU. And we’ll both figure out this thing.”
“Femi—”
“I think you should tell me everything now, maybe something or someone from your past can help us take down Chike,” Nifemi cut her off.
Kosarachi sighed, she couldn’t shake him. She had found someone who would do anything for her like the telenovela she loved. But she was still weary. It wouldn’t hurt to tell him about herself, she’d be gone at the end of the day.
“It still hurts that they found me. I let my guard down.”
“Baby, we can’t change that now, but we have control of what happens next. Your story.”
“Okay, here goes. I used one of Chike’s goons to steal from him. He found me before I left, but I was prepared. I had a knife that I used to slash his cheek before I ran. If I had had the mind, I would have slashed his throat instead. Well, I ran and I found out he killed the goon that had helped me. I blamed myself for it.” She paused a bit, talking about Amobi losing his life because he helped her was torture. He didn’t say anything and she was grateful for that. She took a deep breath and continued.
“After I ran, I spent some time within Anambra. I didn’t know where to go or who to run to. I stole sometimes, managing the money I had. I slept in alleys I knew off before I got tired. That was when I thought of my father.”
She looked at him and made sure he was paying attention to her. He was.
“I only knew his name and I didn’t know where to look for him. The man left my mum when I was 4. I hated him. One day, I happened to mention his name in a shop I was. One of the customers of the shop was so happy to talk about Emenike Igwe. The great man of Nimo, Njikoka. The man who had helped so many people in his village, built houses and who lived in Abuja with his wife and kids. I was mad but I didn’t show it. I probed more and I was able to gather enough information to pinpoint my father’s location. I didn’t waste one second. I boarded a night bus to Abuja that evening. My cash was running out, I needed to see my father.”
Kosarachi sipped some water and Nifemi squeezed her palm to remind her he was there. She exhaled and continued.
“I found him. It was easy. He was an affluent man. I went to his office the day I arrived, looking tired and scruffy. The secretary wouldn’t let me in. She didn’t believe I was his daughter. So I waited him out. When he was going home I approached him as he headed for his car. He didn’t believe me, he wanted nothing to do with me. I told him my mum had died but he still didn’t care. He couldn’t have a scandal, he was contesting for a political office. He couldn’t have me around. My father didn’t want me, but I wasn’t surprised, he had abandoned me after all when I was little. Well, I was running for my life. Chike would kill me if he found me. I needed to disappear. That moment, before my father drove away, an idea danced majestically in my head. I told him that if he didn’t give me money, I’d tell everyone, his wife and children that I was his daughter. I’d tell them that he abandoned me as a child and that would ruin him. I told him that if he tried to get rid of me, the press would still know. I don’t know what gave me the audacity, but I blackmailed my own father.”
“Wow,” was all Nifemi could say.
Kosarachi continued, “so that was how I got him. His reputation was more important to him than me. He paid for whatever I needed. Of course I needed school, he funded my education all through to my university under the name Sara Williams. He was the only person that knew Sara and Kosarachi lived in the same body. I guess I was just lucky with him. I wondered why he never got tired of paying the bills. He didn’t know where I was but I contacted him whenever I needed money and he wired it. Then I stopped contacting him after my NYSC. I didn’t need him anymore and somehow I just wanted him to be safe you know, from Chike. I also didn’t want to get caught. I hadn’t heard from Chike since I got to Abuja but I always watched my back. I made sure I served in the north, far from the East, then moved to Lagos when I got the job at Planotech. Moving around was good for me. I kept little or no friends, had no relationships. I was practically a ghost. I thought I was already safe from Chike but I was wrong. He had found me after all. He must have expanded his drug business to Lagos and Obi obviously spotted me and it hurts. I always took care with my appearance, the wigs, the contacts, the makeup just to put off anyone recognizing me. I just want to be able to live freely.” She put her face in her hands and sighed. “Well, that’s it, that’s my miserable story.”
“That’s a whole lot to take in Kosarachi,” Nifemi said, “you are one bad ass who has survived a lot of shit. If for anything, I think I’ve fallen in love with you more.”
Kosarachi sighed, “you’re not serious.”
“Oh yes, I am”, Nifemi said, pulling her closer to him, “I mean who injures a drug lord and makes away with his money? Who is so damn smart to outrun the same drug lord for years? Who freaking blackmails her father and gets away with it?” He placed a simple kiss on her lips.
Kosarachi wanted to pull away, but couldn’t. It felt right being in his arms. She kissed him back. 
“And who would think a nerd like you could hit someone on the head,” she responded. Nifemi parted his lips and sought out her tongue. She met his and they played around a bit. He still tasted as sweet as he did on her birthday night. She chuckled, bent her head and placed her hands on his chest.
“What?” Nifemi asked, raising her chin up.
“I think you should know that my birthday isn’t the 15th of this month,” she said, taking his lips again.
“Oh yeah,” and when is it?” Nifemi asked in between kisses.
“I’ll tell you soon enough,” Kosarachi answered, digging her fingers into his hair. He stood a bit and placed her gently on the bed, and he was on top of her. She uttered a soft whimper when his tongue sort her neck. 
A knock on the door made Kosarachi jump, pushing Nifemi off her and out of the bed.
“Oww,” he yelped, hitting the floor.
“Sorry,” Kosarachi laughed, “who is it?”
“It’s Akin, mama asked if you want more akara?”
“No, I’m fine, ese. Tell Mama thank you,” she answered.
Akin muttered something and left. Nifemi got up and came to sit on the bed beside her. He put his arm round her and she placed her head on his shoulder.
“Thank you,” she said.
“For what?” Nifemi asked.
“For loving me.”
“I couldn’t resist you. I have always been attracted to the mysterious lady at work.”
“The mysterious lady with a lot of baggage.”
“Speaking of baggage, I think there’s something we can do to take down Chike,” Nifemi said.
Kosarachi raised her head up, “I’m listening.”
“Your father is affluent, baby. Hell, I never knew your father is Emenike Igwe, that man is a business tycoon. A beast in manufacturing. We tell him someone is after your life and he helps us. Simple.”
“No, absolutely not, it’s not simple,” Kosarachi stood up. “That man didn’t want anything to do with me when I was a child, what makes you think he’ll risk his neck to save the child that had blackmailed him?”
“You said it yourself, he continued paying for your fees, even after you probably had no leverage on him. Let’s just say maybe he cares about you a little,” Nifemi tried to reason with her.
“I cut ties with him. Then I show up after how many years, because I need his help, again. No Femi, I can’t do that. I don’t need him and I don’t want him or his family at risk because of me.”
“Do you have a better idea Kosarachi?”
“Yes, I run, I keep running. Away from everyone.”
Nifemi stood up and shook her, “that is not even an option. You said the police would be compromised if we went to them, I listened to you and brought you here. Now listen to me baby, we’ll speak to your father, if he refuses to help you, then we run and figure out how to deal with Chike later. We are in this together. We, Kosarachi. You need to get used to the idea that you’re no longer alone.”
Kosarachi thought for a while. She didn’t have any other option. Nifemi was as stubborn as a mule. She’d figure out how to shake him off later. For now, maybe it was time to speak to her father again.
“Okay, we’ll speak to my father. I’ll make contact with him,” she finally gave in.
Nifemi pulled her into an embrace. They’d start from there. He hoped he was right about her father caring for her. He really hoped he was.
                                                                                                  ***
Raven was a bit tipsy. If she wasn’t, maybe she wouldn’t be here, at this hour.  She’d blame it on the alcohol if she got caught. She was so angry and vengeful. She had stayed away from Nifemi all week but she wanted him back. She had called him but got no response. She went to his house and he wasn’t there either. That was when she got more angry, he probably was with that ashawo. Oh, she hated Sara with every bone in her body. She was prettier than her, smarter than her and now had her boyfriend. 

She had found out where Sara lived during the course of the week. One evening, she had gone to Nifemi’s just to see him. Instead, she had seen Sara leaving the office and had followed her home. She had wanted to beat her up so badly but she wasn’t ready. She was willing to make Sara’s life a living hell as long as she lived. No one got away with messing with her. She felt ready to inflict some pain on Sara today. That ajebutter will know just how street she, Raven, was. She got to the apartment building and went straight for Sara's apartment. She didn’t notice the man that followed her to the first floor where Sara's apartment was located. She got to Sara’s door and started banging on it, still not noticing the man behind her.

The man who followed her got close to her and asked, “do you know the lady that lives here?”
In her inebriated state, she answered, “yes, I know her, I know that bitch. Sara open this door. Open this—”
She couldn’t complete her sentence as the man placed a piece of cloth over her nose. Her inhalation reflex continued and the pungent substance swam swiftly into her nostrils, knocking unconscious immediately. He quickly carried her, hoping no one in the building would notice him. His hopes were granted cos no one did. He placed her inside his car, taped her mouth and tied her hands. He took out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number.
“I have someone oga,” he said to the person at the other end of the line.
“I hope who you have is worth it? Be that as it may, bring the person here. I guess we’ll find out where she is soon,” Obi said.
“Yes oga,” the man said. He hung up and drove off to meet his boss with the lady in the boot of his car.


Glossary for the Yoruba Words
Ekurole – good evening.
Bawo no ise- how’s work?
Ma binu- don’t be angry
Rara oh- no oh
Owam bi bayi- she’s here
Ekaro- good morning
Omo mi- my child
Bawo ni- how are you?
Mo wa paa- I am fine
Ese- thank you
Wa jeun-  come and eat
Ogi- pap
Akara- bean cake
Gbeni- yes
O fine gaan- she’s very fine


Comments

  1. Busy Body Raven! See what she has caused now. Meanwhile, I am glad that Sara finally found love and that she is no longer alone. For Mr. Chike, I know he's fiction o! But God will punish him and other pedophiles out there. Liv, this is awesome. I like the suspense and the story line. Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "for the greatest commandments of all these is Love...".
    Pls Sara don't loose Femi o. Raven pèlé.
    Liv, how you wrote this in a few hours after yesterday is really amazing.. Thumbs up love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...I had a draft already
      Just edited some more
      Thanks for reading 🤗🤗

      Delete
  3. Instead of this girl to just mind her business now she has become a Trace to Sara....nice one can't wait for the next

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pity raven tho, Sara is a fighter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is.... I mean I couldn't stop reading. See the kind of love I want o. Haunty Raven, your bitter self finally got the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is beautiful thing. I hope she stays with Femi. And as for Raven, God be with her. YMY as NMN,say NO to sexual assault. Good one Liv.

      Delete
  6. God help Raven oo, hatred is sure bad...This is nice dear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh... That's all I can do right now. Sigh with deep satisfaction, like I've had a full meal or something. Another beautiful piece Liv! Nice one! Please keep it up, God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you guys for the comments..I love you all 😅💖💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another wonderful write up, Liv. I'm glad for Femi and Sara. Hope they figure out the solution to totally destroying Chike. I'm just so sorry for Raven, a victim of circumstance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance