The other side of me 6

 

Picture: somewhere in Kubwa, Abuja

Emenike Igwe was a wealthy and successful man. He had worked hard to get to where he was. He was proud of what he had achieved but what he was most proud of was his family. His wife Sandra and their two kids, Adaobi and Emenike Jr. He only had one regret in his life and that was abandoning his first wife and their daughter. They had had their differences, he wanted to move to Abuja after getting a job and she wanted to stay back in Nimo. He wasn’t happy being simple and he had walked out on her without looking back. Years later, his daughter finds him and even though he knew she was telling the truth, he didn’t want anything to do with her. His reputation as a good and honorable man was too important to him. Then she had blackmailed him, he’d give it to her, he was impressed by her boldness, something she definitely inherited from him. He had agreed to settle her, pay her school fees and take care of her. It was the least he could do after leaving her. He was also sorry her mum died, that was one thing he couldn’t correct and he’d live with that pain for the rest of his life.

He even told himself he didn’t care about his daughter, that he just wanted her to stay quiet about her identity but he had gotten fond of her. Fond of getting her calls out of the blue demanding money. Fond of her feistiness. Fond of her new name and identity, something she called her alter ego. She had stayed away from him, they had no physical contact but they talked on the phone. Then all of a sudden, she had stopped contacting him. He didn’t know why but he didn’t bother searching for her, even though he had the resources. He felt it was best he let her be. He didn’t want any trouble, whenever she was ready to contact him, she would.
His Saturdays were usually busy, with one meeting or the other. This Saturday, however, was a day to spend with his family. His other daughter, Ada, who was 18 was about to enter the University to study law. He wanted to spend as much time with her as possible before she left. His son was still in secondary school, doing well in his school work. His wife owned a boutique where she sold exquisite dresses and shoes for ladies. She also didn’t go to her boutique today, she had sales representatives who worked for her.

Emenike was in his family house at Maitama, getting ready to take his family out when his phone rang. That was odd. It was his personal phone, no business partner or worker called him on that number so he knew it wasn’t business related. The number was hidden. He didn’t know whether to be afraid or a little bit excited. He picked hoping it wasn’t who he suspected it to be, also hoping it was.
“Hello,” he answered.
“Hello Mr. E, it’s been awhile,” the voice said.
Only one person called him Mr. E, she had never called him dad, not after what he had done to her.
“Kosara—”
“It’s Sara, Mr. E, we agreed on that.”
“Yes, yes we did. Err, what do you want?”
“Of course, down to business as usual. I just want you to know that I didn’t want to make this call, but I didn’t have a choice.” She took a deep breath and continued, “I need your help.”
“Let me guess, if I don’t help you, you’ll tell the whole world your identity.”
She sighed, “my life is in danger and maybe if you hadn’t left, it wouldn’t be.”
Emenike was hit with that bullet again, no matter what he did, she would never forgive him. He let his mind come back to what she said about her life being in danger.
“What do you mean by your life is in danger? Who’s trying to kill you?”
“It’s a long story. I need to see you in person, if that’s okay with you.”
“Where are you now?”
She hesitated, she didn’t want to give her location but if she was going to see him, she had to tell him something.
“Somewhere in Oyo,” she said simply.
“Can you get to Ibadan, if you aren’t there, I’ll send a private plane to pick you up.”
Sara thought for a while, she didn’t think he’d want to see her, let alone send a private plane to pick her. She was surprised. Anyways, Ogbomoso was closer to Ilorin than Ibadan, according to Nifemi.
“Ilorin's airport would be better.”
“How soon can you be there?”
“In an hour. I’ll text you some details on how I will be easily recognized. And also, I will be coming with someone.”
“Okay then, I’ll send a pilot to pick you and your “someone” up.” He hesitated, “I guess I’ll see you soon Sara.”
“See you soon Mr. E.” And the line went dead. 
He stared at his phone. What had just happened? He had agreed to meet with her, someone he hadn’t seen in years. He wondered what trouble she had gotten herself into that her life was at stake. He didn’t have time to think about it. A text came in and he made a call to one of his trusted pilots with specific instructions. Soon he’d be face to face with his long lost daughter. The family outing would have to be cancelled. What a pity!

                                                                                                ***
Raven opened her eyes slowly. She was sitting on a chair and noticed her hands were behind her back and she couldn’t move them because they were tied. She was alarmed. Her feet were also tied. She tried to move but the ropes wouldn’t budge. She scanned her environment, she had no idea where she was. She was in a room, more like a small warehouse. It was a bit scattered too, with bits of paper and dust on the floor. She saw boxes made of carton too, she didn’t care what was inside or had been inside. She tried to remember where she was before now. Yes, she had gone to Sara’s and she was talking to a man and that was it. Oh my God, I’ve been kidnapped. The bitch kidnapped me. She said to herself. She tried to move again on the seat and winced in pain as the rope around her wrists were leaving sores on her skin. She tried to move her feet too when the only door in the room opened and an attractive man with a bandage on his head walked in. She shouldn’t have noticed he was attractive, he was most likely her kidnapper. He was also older, maybe in his late thirties or early forties.
“Where’s she? Where’s the bitch that paid you to kidnap me?” Raven yelled.
The man looked puzzled for about a second before he spoke, “Are you talking about Kosarachi?”
“Who’s Kosarachi? I’m talking about Sara, or didn’t Sara pay you to do this?” Raven asked, confused.
He chuckled, “ahh, Sara, she goes by that these days. Sara didn’t pay us to kidnap you pretty lady, we were hoping you’d help us find her.”
“What? I don’t know where she is, I don’t know whatever trouble she has gotten herself into but I don’t know where she is. I don’t even like her. She’s not my friend—”
He cut her off by raising his palm up.
“Hey, hey, don’t ramble, if you help us find the bitch we’ll let you go, but if you can’t we’d have to kill you. You know.”
Raven became alarmed, she should have known Sara didn’t have the balls to pull off a kidnap, but she was in danger right now, “no, please, don’t kill me. I swear I don’t know where she is. I fucking hate her, I was only at her place to inflict pain on her for stealing my boyfriend—”
“Your boyfriend?” the man cut in, “dark, with beards, a bit tall?”
Raven thought for a bit, that could easily be the description of any guy but she simply nodded.
The man smiled, “you are useful then, do you happen to have his number? We could just give him a call to know where he is. Maybe he has our girl.”
Raven was angry. Of course Nifemi would be with Sara, enjoying the weekend in each other’s arms and she was here tied up like a goat in a slaughter house. She affirmed she had the number and recited it for him. 
“Aren’t you going to let me go now?” Raven asked, almost in tears. Tears of rage and fear.
“Oh, not yet darling, until Sara is found, you and I are gonna have so much fun,” he caressed her cheek.
Raven shuddered, what had hatred for Sara gotten her into? She had to figure out a way to convince this guy that she hated Sara as much as he did so they could work together. She could try to seduce him, her seduction skills always worked. They had worked with Nifemi until they had stopped, thanks to Sara or Kosarachi or whatever her name was.

He was pleased with his latest discovery. He had a number to call and ask that Kosarachi turn herself in or he would kill the lady with him. That would be a shame because the lady was so attractive. Anyways, he doubted Kosarachi would be bothered about someone who hates her. The guy, however, would be bothered. After all, she was once his girlfriend.
“What’s your name darling?” he asked her.
“Raven.”
“Raven, you and I should get to know each other. I’m Obi and I’m your kidnapper.”

                                                                                                 ***
Kosarachi and Nifemi arrived Abuja at about 7pm on Saturday. The flight had been smooth and a bit relaxing for Kosarachi. She had time to reflect and think about her father and also what she had to do to take down Chike. A plan was spinning in her mind, webs connecting. She only hoped it would work. She wouldn’t tell Nifemi until the plan was completely spun. Nifemi had vehemently refused to stay back in Ogbomoso, they we’re in this together, he had said. Akin had helped them wash their clothes earlier that day, so she had something to wear. She had not worn her wig, which was the first time she was leaving anywhere without it. Mama had been sad that they had to leave. She had prepared gbegiri and Amala for them and made sure they ate before leaving. A very sweet woman.

As soon as they landed, a driver was waiting for them at the airport. Her father had actually tried,  private jets and waiting cars. The driver drove them to a location where they would meet her father in a black Toyota Camry. She had rehearsed several things she would say to him but she didn’t still know what to say. They pulled up in a building in Kubwa, probably one of his numerous buildings. She was still lost in thoughts that she didn’t notice Nifemi get out of the car and open her door for her. He gave her his hand and she was grateful he was there with her again. She wasn’t alone. She took his hand and got out of the car.
“You good?” Nifemi asked, caressing her cheek with his finger.
She simply nodded.
“Chief is this way, please,” a man at the door called out to them. Nifemi held her hand and they walked together to the door and the man led them into the house. 
They followed him inside. The house looked beautiful, with art decorating the walls. They didn’t have time to see the living room as the man took them up the stairs. He finally stopped in front of a brown door. He knocked before he opened it for them. He gesticulated for them to go in and he closed the door behind them. The room smelt masculine. Of heavy mahogany wood and leather. There was a desk, with lots of things on it, files, books, papers. There was a picture frame on it, facing the main seat. Behind the desk was a man, sitting with such power. His hair and beards were greying a bit and his face housed a few wrinkles but it didn’t hide his handsomeness. He stood up and walked over to them. The man. Her father.
“Sara, you look —”
“Different,” she finished for him.
“I wanted to say well, but I guess different is another adjective,” Emenike said.
Kosarachi only stared at him. Nifemi noticed the awkwardness and introduced himself.
“I’m Oluwanifemi Uzondu, sir.”
“Who are you exactly?” Emenike asked, scowling.
“Nifemi is my friend,” Kosarachi answered before Nifemi could speak.
Emenike simply nodded. He sensed the young man was more than a friend to her but he let it slide.
“Please, have a seat,” Emenike said, gesturing towards the seats opposite his, and sitting too.
“How are your wife and kids?” Kosarachi asked, trying to make a conversation. She looked at the picture frame on the desk. She picked it up to admire it. She saw his family, Sandra and the kids. They looked beautiful.
“They’re well, thank you. And how are you, how have you been? You ghosted, with no trace.”
“If you had wanted to find me Mr. E, you would have. You have the resources. I’m guessing your family still don’t know I exist, of course.”
Nifemi felt weird caught up in this father and daughter awkward chat.
“I didn’t look for you because I thought that was what you wanted,” Emenike said, evading her last statement.
“Or maybe you hoped I was dead,” Kosarachi smirked.
Nifemi noticed the simple switch from Kosarachi to Sara. He’d have to get used to her switching personalities.
“Okay, let’s back it up a bit,” Nifemi intervened, “Sara, we’re here to seek your father’s help against people that want you dead and he was nice enough to get us here and even host us. Please be nice to him.”
Sara shot daggers at Nifemi while Emenike smiled to himself. The young man was being diplomatic.
“Who’s trying to kill you?” Emenike finally asked.
Sara sighed, trying to calm down. Nifemi had noticed her switch, he was very observant. “My uncle who’s a drug lord is trying to kill me.”
“Your uncle?”
“Yeah, Chike, mum’s only relative who’s an asshole and who I was forced to live with for two years before I found you.”
“Sweetheart, easy,” Nifemi said.
Sara sighed again, “I’m sorry, it’s just really hard being here. If you hadn’t left me I never would have been with him.”
Emenike looked really sorry, “how about you tell me everything that happened to you from the time your mom died till now. I’m all ears.”
Sara looked at him then looked at Nifemi who encouraged her to speak. She didn’t like talking about her past, Kosarachi was better at that. Anyways, she managed to tell him about Chike using her to move drugs, his abuse, her run and her identity change. She told him why she had no choice but to blackmail him and then cut ties with him. She told him what had happened just a day ago and how Nifemi suggested they see him. By the time she was done, Emenike looked like he had aged more. He didn’t speak for about a minute.
“I’m sorry you had to go through this on your own. I really am. But no one is going to kill you. We’ll find Chike and apprehend him.”
“It’s not enough to apprehend him, Mr. E. He has to be caught, enough evidence has to be found so he’ll be put in jail for a long time.”
“Then we’ll plant something on him, we know he’s guilty. All we have to do is set him up. My men could help with that.”
“Why do you want to help me?”  Sara asked, skeptical.
Emenike sighed and relaxed on his chair, “you are my daughter Sa-, Kosarachi. And I know you’ll not believe this, but I did grow fond of you and I want to be at least part of your life.”
“You grew fond of me because I blackmailed you—”
“Sweetheart—”
“Don’t interrupt me Nifemi,” Sara roared. 
“It’s okay young man,” Emenike said, “let her express her feelings about me.”
“If I hadn’t blackmailed you, you would have thrown me to the dogs.”
“Do you think it was just the blackmail that made me pay your fees? Think again Kosarachi. I am an affluent man, I wouldn’t have catered for you if I didn’t want to,” Emenike shot back.
“Oh, so now it was your choice to be a good daddy. And stop calling me Kosarachi, you don’t have that privilege.”
Nifemi kept staring at them exchanging words. What was Sara doing? Making sure that her chance to live a normal life went to hell because she was still angry at her father for abandoning her. He wished he could soothe her but she was so feisty. That was the girl he knew first. He was seeing Sara in action. He didn’t still understand how she could switch from Kosarachi to Sara.
“You never even asked for my forgiveness, shows you were never sorry you left.”
That hit close to home. No, that hit home as Emenike stared at his daughter. She was right, he never asked for her forgiveness. But that didn’t mean he wasn’t sorry.
“You are right my dear. And I’m so sorry for everything. I’m sorry I left you. I’m sorry your mother died and I wasn’t there. I’m sorry you had to live with Chike. I’m sorry I didn’t acknowledge you when you came to me first. I’m sorry I didn’t look for you when you stopped communicating. I’m so sorry for everything and I know this pitiful apology isn’t enough but I mean it.”
“And your family, are you ready to tell them about me?” Sara asked smugly.
“Yes. Yes. Sandra already knows about you, it’s just the kids that have to know. And then the whole world,” Emenike answered.
That left Sara dumbfounded. She wasn’t expecting him to acknowledge her or even apologize. Nifemi’s phone broke the silence as his ringtone filled the room. 
“Sorry,” Nifemi said, bringing out his phone. He saw it was an unknown number. He hesitated before he picked. “Hello?”
“Am I speaking to Nifemi?”
“Yes, who is asking?” Nifemi replied.
“Remember the nice guy who you hit on the head with a rod so rudely? Well, that’s me. It’s good to hear from you,” Obi replied sarcastically.
Nifemi was shocked to his bones. How had the bastard gotten his number?
“Who is it Nifemi?” Sara asked. She saw the shock on his face.
He held up a finger for her to stay quiet.
“If you’re calling to ask me to give up Kosara, you are on a wild goose chase,” Nifemi answered. He saw the look of terror on Sara and her dad.
“Oh, I’m just gonna spit it out then. I have your real girlfriend here. She says her name is Raven. If I don’t see Kosarachi by tomorrow, I’ll kill Raven,” Obi said.
“You’re lying, you don’t have her,” Nifemi stood, running his fingers through his hair.
Obi put Raven on the phone and Nifemi heard her muffled cries. Obi took the phone back and said, “Kosarachi, 12 noon tomorrow at an address I’m gonna text you or Raven would be dead tomorrow.” Click. He hung up.
“Who does he have? Who does he have, Nifemi?” Sara demanded.
“Raven… he has Raven. He said if you’re not at an address he’ll text to me by noon tomorrow, he’ll kill her.”


Comments

  1. Wow what a nice way to keep us in suspense...nice ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, it keeps me wanting more and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm! I'll love to see what her dad's plan is. Nice write up Liv👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here we go again. The Queen of suspense! I'd be glad if Nifemi had just replied, "please kill her." But I guess everybody deserves a chance. Nice one Liv. I'm anticipating the next sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II