Coincidence V

 

Photo: From Google

The evening was cool. That might have been because of the cloudy day. The Sun had hung behind dark clouds almost throughout the day. Amara wasn’t disappointed with that. She loved gloomy days. Dark clouds were her favorite weather. Where the Sun didn’t scorch her and the rains didn’t come down to wet the ground... And her. The weather would just be cold, or cool.

At work, earlier in the day, she had longed to be in her bed, with food, wine, and a movie. Oh well, she had to work. But then, she left work early to prepare for her date. No, not date, she thought to herself. She had left work early to prepare for her “meeting” with Lucas. It was about 5:45 pm and she still hadn’t found what to wear. Her clothes were littered on her bed, her handbag buried underneath. Which was why she hadn’t heard her phone ring. She wasn’t prepared when Amuche and Ngozi barged into her room. She almost jumped out of her skin.

“You guys,” She said, steadying her heart with her palm, “can’t you knock?”

“Knock kwa,” Amuche said, she moved some clothes to the center of the bed and made space for her and Ngozi to sit. Facing Ngozi, she said, “I told you she was a mess.”

“Indeed, the room is upside down,” Ngozi agreed, scanning the room with disgust on her face.

Amara rolled her eyes, “what are you even doing here, Zii? I told you I could handle this.”

“You’re handling it perfectly well, aren’t you” Ngozi rolled her eyes. “How long have you been home?”

“She came back about 5 pm. So I’m guessing almost 45 minutes,” Amuche answered.

“Radio without battery,” Amara sneered at her sister. “Was she talking to you?”

Amuche waved her hand. “Who’s this guy she’s going on a date with anyway?”

“It’s not a date,” Amara said. “It’s more like a meeting.”

“A meeting? That’s not what Ngozi told me.”

Amara looked at Ngozi, “what did you tell her?”

“Everything. Plus his explanation.”

“The explanation you wouldn’t give me.”

“That’s what you’re going to get on the date na.”

“It’s not a date!” Amara fumed.

“Whatever makes you sleep,” Ngozi snickered. “Anyway, where are you guys going?”

Amara sat on the heap of clothes. “I told him we could just get some drinks at Starbucks' bar and grill at the junction here. I don’t want to go far.”

“Ok, then get a pair of bum shorts and a nice blouse to go with it. And sneakers.”

“Isn’t that a bit much? For just down the road,” Amara was skeptical.

Before Ngozi could reply, Amuche stood up and put her hands on her waist. “It’s not too much. It’s perfectly fine. Just pick something so that Ngozi can help you with light makeup for goodness sake.”

Amara wrinkled her face at her. “Who are you talking to like that, taataa?”

“I’m not a taataa,” Amuche tried not to chuckle, but you need to get going. And forgive him too. His story is quite touching. So you guys can get back together.”

Amara threw her hands up, “we were never together. He’s not my boyfriend. Ngozi what did you tell my sister?”

“Oh, if he’s not your boyfriend, can I have him?” Amuche tutted. “I mean, Ngozi showed me his picture. He’s hot and he’s also a tech guy. Which means he has money and I need to be taken care of—”

“Shut your mouth!” Amara hissed.

Amara and Ngozi burst out laughing. Ngozi clapped her hands as she laughed, “I thought he’s not your boyfriend? Let Amuche shoot her shot na.”

Amara rolled her eyes at her, “don’t you have a sister to pester or something?”

Ngozi crossed her legs and watched as Amara found a pair of black bum shorts. A good choice she thought. Amuche sifted through the heap of clothes and found a nice red Ralph Lauren shirt and handed it to Amara.

“My sister is married and is somewhere in the Maldives with her husband on baecation.”

“Are you for real?” Amuche asked. “God when.”

“When you graduate, get a job and stop pestering me,” Amara answered her.

Ngozi laughed again. “Don’t worry Amuche, you’ll get your husband.”

“Thank you oh, better person,” Amuche rolled her eyes at her sister. “But where are the kids?”

“They’re with my mother, somewhere in this country. She’s enjoying the grandma duties and doting over them.”

“Aww,” Amuche made puppy eyes. “That’s so cute.”

Amara had already taken off what she had been wearing and wore the black shorts and shirt.

“You look nice,” Amuche said, smiling.

“Thank you,” Amara mumbled.

“All we have to take care of is your makeup now,” Ngozi said, standing up. “What time did you tell him to pick you up?”

“7.”

“Ok, we have like an hour. I can perform this magic. Come sit down here.” She gestured for Amara to sit on the chair by her vanity. Opening her makeup box, she got to work as they all chatted.

“Zii, your birthday is soon. What are your plans?” Amuche asked.

“Well, I’m going to be having a boat party.”

Amuche glowered at her, “are you for real?”

“Yes dear,” Ngozi said, lining Amara’s lips with red lipstick. “You’re invited.”

“What?” Amara exclaimed.

“Yes!” Amuche jumped up and hugged Ngozi.

“Easy,” Ngozi laughed. “Don’t ruin your sister’s makeup.”

“Zii, we haven’t even concluded if you’re having the boat party yet,” Amara said.

“Madam, stop talking,” Ngozi scolded. “Let me finish your makeup. Even if we don’t have the boat party, Amuche is still invited to whatever party I’ll have.”

Amuche hadn’t stopped dancing. “My dear, it’s going to be the boat party. Hashtag shaking my booty on a yacht.” She started to twerk.

Amara couldn’t help but laugh. Even Ngozi couldn’t scold her as she laughed too. Just then, her mother walked in on them.

“Amara, where did keep your phone?” Patricia asked.

“Shit,” Amara mumbled. “Amuche find my bag. My phone is inside.”

Amuche dug up the bag from the heap of clothes and pulled out her phone. “Well, 7 missed calls.”

“Hah!” Amara screamed. “Give me the phone.” She unlocked the phone and saw 3 missed calls from Ngozi, 1 from Amuche, and 2 from Luc. Luc’s was about 15 minutes ago. Checking the time, it was 7:10. “Shit. Luc has been calling me.”

Her mother made a face at her. “I’ll ignore the curse word you’ve been using since I walked in.” She watched with satisfaction as Amara swallowed. “I believe Luc is waiting for you in the parlor.”

Amara forgot about her mother’s scolding. “He’s here?”

“Yes. Tall, handsome. With glasses. Well built.” Her mother gave a mischievous grin. “Is he your boyfriend?”

“They’re going for a ‘meeting’,”Amuche responded, making air quotes on a meeting. “She doesn’t know what he is to her yet.”

“Amuche!” Amara and Ngozi said at the same time.

“What? Isn’t that what she said?”

Amara made to stand up from the chair. “I don’t have time for this.”

“Madam wait, let me finish applying the powder,” Ngozi forced her back in the chair. “He can wait for you.”

Patricia whispered to her second daughter, who she had walked to. The whisper was really loud because Amara and Ngozi heard what she said perfectly well. “Does he have money?”

Ngozi glared at Amara to make sure she didn’t speak.

“Mummy, he should have money. Did you check his car?” Amuche asked.

“Mba oh,” Patricia said, “I just told him to wait for me to find Amara. He looks very responsible too.”

“And mummy you knew he was responsible under how many minutes?” This was Ngozi.

“He greeted me well and even spoke Igbo to me,” Patricia answered. “He’s very polite. He even gave me a bottle of wine. I like him already.” Then to Amara, she said, “If he’s not your boyfriend, Amara, you better make him your boyfriend today.”

Ngozi had finished with the makeup, so Amara could speak. “Mummy!” or maybe just utter the word mummy.

“What is it? Do you just see a friend dressed the way you are now or your room looking like where they fought because you were looking for what to wear?”

“Abi o,” Amuche chipped in. “Mummy tell her.”

“Amuche, be useful and get me my black sneakers,” Amara ordered. “I don’t know what I’ll do with you women in my life. Olaitan is a pain in my ass at work. Ngozi is a pain in my ass everywhere. Mummy is a pain, now Amuche has come back to join the pain.”

Ngozi laughed, “that’s why you love us. Mummy, let’s go keep our gentleman company while she finishes dressing.”

“Yes my dear,” Patricia replied. She accepted Ngozi’s hand and slipped it into the crook of her elbow. They both walked to the parlor and saw Luc sitting on one of the single couches. He had his head buried in his phone.

“Hi Luc,” Ngozi said.

At the mention of his name, Luc’s head shot up. He was dressed casually too. A white shirt and a pair of jeans. The white shirt hugged his biceps. His glasses rested on the bridge of his nose cutely. Ngozi could see why Amara liked him. He was good-looking.

“Ngozi, hi,” Luc said. “I didn’t know you were here.”

Ngozi waved her hand. “This place is home to me too. I can be here whenever I want.”

Patricia snorted from where she sat. “She’s right. Shows up whenever she pleases.”

Luc gave a wry smile. “That’s nice.”

“Anyway, Amara will be out soon. Her phone was lost somewhere in the room, that’s why she couldn’t pick up when you called.” Patricia said.

“Thank you ma,” Luc replied.

“Can I offer you anything?” Patricia said again, with a smile on her face. “While you wait for her.”

“That won’t be necessary, Mum,” Amara said as she walked into the parlor. “I’m already here.”

“This girl, even if it’s water let me get for him. He’s in my home.”

“Don’t stress yourself ma,” Luc finally said. “I believe we’ll be on our way now.”

Then Luc stood and walked to where Amara was. He took in her appearance and smiled. She looked absolutely beautiful. Simple and beautiful. Her hair was well, her hair. She had packed it in a bun on top of her head. She wore a red shirt and a pair of black shorts. Her sneakers were black too. Hung on her shoulder was a little black bag. She gave him a short smile.

“You look nice,” he said to her.

“You don’t look bad yourself,” she said.

Ngozi who had been standing went and sat beside Patricia. They watched the scene in silence.

“So, are you ready to go?” Luc asked.

“Yes,” Amara said. “As long as you are.”

Ngozi didn’t know whether to tell both of them to get going or kick them out herself. They were talking like secondary school kids newly in love. Amara might not know this, but Luc was smitten by her. It was cute. Until the moment was ruined when Amuche waltzed in on them.

She came in between them and introduced herself to Luc. “Hi, I’m the little sister. Amuche.” She stuck out her hand. Amara snorted from behind her.

Ngozi would have killed her if this would have been the only moment they were sharing. But as it is, they had time to create more moments. She won’t kill Amuche.

Luc grinned at Amuche. “Hi Amuche, it’s nice to finally meet you. I’m Lucas.”

“Oh, you’ve heard about me?” Amuche placed her hand on her chest. “Good things I hope.”

Amara rolled her eyes at the back of Amuche’s head.

“Yes, good things. I hope your journey back to Lagos was lovely. I heard you arrived two days ago.”

“She did oh. And she didn’t tell me. She would have helped me get some foodstuffs from Nsukka, but no, came back with only two boxes of clothes.” Patricia complained.

Amara laughed at that. She remembered how shocked her mother was to see Amuche. Happy, then pissed that she came back without informing her.

“This is great, but I believe Amara and Luc have somewhere to be.” Ngozi stood and shushed them towards the door.

“It was nice meeting you, Lucas,” Amuche yelled.

“Bring back something oh,” Patricia yelled.

Ngozi rolled her eyes at both of them as she shut the door.

“Are you staying?” Amuche asked.

“Yes, there’s no way I’m not hearing how the night went from her mouth. Mummy, we’re coming.” Ngozi dragged Amuche to Amara’s room.

“What is it?” Amuche grumbled.

“Let’s help her arrange her clothes.”

“I thought you had servants who arrange your clothes.”

“So?”

“Why do you want to arrange Amara’s clothes?”

“Cos she’s my friend.”

Amuche raised an eyebrow at Ngozi.

“Ok, that’s the reason. And also so that she’ll give us the gist fast before complaining that she had to arrange her room and sleep.”

“Good point,” Amuche said, sticking her tongue in her left cheek. “Let’s arrange her clothes.”

***

Luc drove them to the Starbucks bar and grill close to her house. They made small talk during the drive. Since it was about a 10-minute drive, they arrived quickly. They both walked to a table. A waiter came to take their order. They ordered two glasses of virgin mojito with chicken and chips.

“Your sister looks like you, the taller version of course, “Luc said as they waited for their order.

Amara snorted, “thanks for reminding me I’m ‘down to earth’.”

Luc laughed. “You know I’m only teasing you.”

“Sure,” Amara said as the waiter placed the glasses of drinks on their table. Amara took a sip and moaned. “This tastes like heaven.”

Luc watched her eyes roll back as she enjoyed the drink. An idea quickly formed in his head. If the night went as he planned, he’d tell Amara his idea. He believed it was time to give his explanation.

Taking a sip from his glass, he cleared his throat. “I’m sorry I hurt you, Amara.” He said sincerely.

Amara placed her drink back on the table. “I’m only here because Ngozi vouched for you. And surprisingly, Amuche too.”

“Amuche?”

“Yeah, Amuche. Ngozi told her your explanation. Don’t worry, they didn’t tell me anything. They want me to hear it from you.”

“That’s something,” Luc didn’t know what to say.

“How did you even get to Ngozi?” Amara asked. “The girl wanted to kill you last I checked. Now she’s like your advocate.”

Luck chuckled. “It was Chuka. I’m still paying him for helping me.” He remembered all the food he had prepared and delivered to Chuka since Tuesday.

“Really?” Amara laughed. “How are you paying him?”

“I’m cooking for him.”

“Wow,” Amara rolled over with laughter. “Finally putting your culinary skills to good use.”

“Ha-ha-ha. Very funny.”

Their chicken and chips arrived just then.

As Amara picked a chip and dipped it in ketchup, Luc began his explanation. “Beverly helped me get a client. She told me she just wanted to help me. Then she said I owed her a favor after the deal with the client fell through. I shouldn’t have let her cajole me into it, but I just agreed to help her with the so-called favor. So, when she called and said I should be her plus one at some event, I didn’t think twice. I agreed. It was just one night, I could handle her for just one night.

“Then you invited me to the party and it was the same day that I had to go out with Beverly. I just panicked. I didn’t want you to think Beverly and I were still a thing because I like you. It just sounded wrong telling the girl you fancy you can’t go out with her cos you’re going out with your ex.”

“So you like me?” Amara batted her lashes at him.

He chuckled nervously, “I could swear that it’s pretty obvious. But yeah, I like you.” He cleared his throat. “No, I don’t just like you. I have feelings for you. I’m attracted to you in a way I have never felt. The only girl I’ve ever really loved was Beverly. I didn’t think I’d be capable of feeling anything close to it again. But with you, it’s different. You make me smile. You make me laugh. You make me happy, Amara. I almost ran mad when you shut me out. You’re someone I want to keep in my life.”

Amara wasn’t expecting his confession of his feelings. But the night had just begun. She gave him a wry smile, then asked him, “what happened between you and Beverly?”

He sighed, “I don’t want to talk about her.”

“Please, I want you to tell me. I want you to know you can tell me anything.”

He sighed again. “Ok then. Beverly and I dated in secondary school as you know. I was a nerd then, but a pretty girl had noticed me. She spoke to me when others avoided me. It wasn’t long before I developed feelings for her. Yeah, they were a schoolboy’s feelings, but they were genuine. Anyway, I graduated before you guys. I still tried to keep up with the relationship. I know, it sounds lame and silly, but we stayed in the relationship till she left secondary school. By then, I was already in too deep. It was like I couldn’t do without her. So, when she cheated on me the first time, it tore me to pieces.

“She apologized, or did what she thought was an apology and I forgave her. I just wanted to keep her. Then it happened again, and again. By then, I had lost faith in love or whatever. But I didn’t want to give up on her. I knew she wasn’t faithful and somehow I knew she hadn’t been faithful when she was still in secondary school and I had graduated. I was blinded by love. She controlled me. Then she finally left me. She said I wasn’t good enough for her. That I wasn’t giving her what she wanted.”

He smiled sadly as he remembered everything. “I did everything for her. Whatever favor she asked. Whatever she wanted, Amara, I did for her. At some point, I started getting other advances from other girls in the university, but I didn’t want to see it, because I was with Beverly. Anyway, she left me hanging dry. It broke me.”

He took a sip from his drink. Amara took a sip too. Somehow her throat her dried up during his tale.

He continued, “she didn’t get admission immediately. But then, I heard she left the country to study. I was glad she left, I didn’t want her around me. By then, I was already scarred. I met Chuka in school and he always wondered why I never dated. I gave the story that I just wanted to concentrate on my studies, but he drilled the truth out of me at some point. Anyway, he tried to hook me up with lots of girls.” He chuckled at the memory. “Let’s just say I never clicked with anyone. Until now. Well, I graduated and somehow Beverly found her way back into my life. She followed me on Facebook, Instagram and everything social media. After so long, I didn’t think it was wise holding a grudge. I spoke to her like nothing happened. At some point I thought she was sorry and maybe we could work things out again. Silly me, right. I fell for her theatrics again.

“Once beaten, twice shy. I guess mine was twice beaten, thrice shy. She left me dry and hanging again. I made a decision that I wouldn’t let myself feel anything again, for her or any woman. She did come back, as you know and said she was sorry about everything and how she wanted to make it up to me. She is a bit popular in her field, you know, so she got me a client. It was a huge deal. I told her that I wanted to thank her for it. My mistake, anyway she said she would collect the ‘thank you’ in her own way when she needed it. Then the Peters’ party came up and I had to be her plus one. It was very easy. I agreed and I was going to cut her off after the favor. I already did cos I left her at the party and I haven’t replied her messages or returned her calls. She’s history and it’s about time she stays in the past.”

“Wow,” Amara exclaimed. “That’s a lot to take in.”

“I know right.”

“I have heard stories of girls falling in love with a guy and he using her. It’s more common to hear this about girls. But, for guys, I didn’t think they went through it. Or maybe they’re just acting cool and not wanting the world to know that girls hurt them too.”

“We’re all scum in the hands of scum, I guess.”

Amara laughed at that. Lucas laughed too.

“Thank you for telling me about Beverly.”

“You’re welcome. Do you forgive me, for lying to you and hurting you?”

“Well, you gave a good explanation,” Amara began. “Yes I forgive you. But, let’s not lie to each other or keep the truth from each from now on. Deal?”

“Deal.” Luc let out a deep breath he didn’t know he was holding all the while. “Thank you, for hearing me out.”

“You’re welcome. And hey, don’t ever let anyone think you’re not capable of living without them. You’re special and it’s Beverly’s loss that she couldn’t see it.”

“You think I’m special?” Luc grinned at her.

“Yes, I think you’re special. And you’re really sweet. Went through a lot of trouble to try to talk to me.” Amara laughed.

“I did, didn’t I,” he laughed too.

They concentrated on their meal and talked about work.

“Do you like working for Daramola?” Luc asked her.

“Well, it’s not like I’m working for him him. I work in his company. And I like it so far.” She didn’t tell him there was a time Daramola had asked her out. She had politely declined however, and he hadn’t asked her again. On a very good day, she’d rather avoid her boss than speak to him.

“That’s nice,” he said to her, bringing her out of her thoughts. “He does say nice things about you.”

She almost choked on the potato chip in her mouth. She took a sip of her cocktail before she spoke, removing anything that would betray how she really felt from her voice. “Eh, what did he say about me?”

“Well, sometimes when we’re at lunch, he talks about his HR manager and how efficient she is. Of course I didn’t mention I knew you, because you asked me not to.”

“Phew, thanks for not mentioning me to him.”

“Why don’t you want him to know we know each other?”

Sighing, she replied, “nothing. I just don’t want the unnecessary attention from him or the familiarity. I just want to stay on a professional level with him.”

Luc stroked his chin as he listened to her. Something didn’t add up, but he wouldn’t probe tonight. Tonight, he was just glad he could talk to her freely. They talked about sports. Amara liked football and she was a Chelsea fan. Luc was a Manchester united fan however and they made few banters about their clubs. After their meal, they got more chips for the people she left at home and they walked back to the car together and Luc drove her to her house. He parked in front of the house and wished he didn’t have to tell her goodnight.

“Thank you, again,” Luc began, “for agreeing to see me and forgiving me.”

“De nada,” Amara said in Spanish, unbuckling her seatbelt. “You’re welcome. Thanks for the night out too.”

“Speaking of night outs,” Luc braced himself. “What are you doing next Saturday?”

Amara stared at him for a few seconds. “Er, I dunno. I actually don’t have anything on my mind right now.”

“I want to have dinner with you.”

Amara chuckled, “Lucas Mekibe Maduka, are you asking me out on a date?”

“Yes I am. I figured this was just a “meeting”—”

“Exactly what I thought it was,” Amara blurted out. “Sorry, keep talking.”

Luc hid his smile and continued, “well, this wasn’t a date for me. At least not the date I want with you. So, if you’re free Saturday night, I’d like to cook you dinner. At my place.”

“Wow! You, you want to cook for me?”

“Yes I do. I want to cook you dinner and watch you eat. I want to watch you drink wine too and laugh at my jokes. I want to hear your sigh of satisfaction, then I’d want to kiss you.”

Amara gulped. She actually pictured everything in her head as he spoke. Until the point where he said he’d like to kiss her. She’d like to kiss him too.

Problem was, she’d like to kiss him at the moment. Right there, in the car. Not next weekend for goodness sake.

“Amara. Amara?”

“What?” She blinked.

“You haven’t given me a response.”

“Oh. Uhm…” she looked him in the eyes then. “I’d like this date very much.”

“So, I’ll pick you up on Saturday? Say 6pm?”

“How about you text me your address and I’ll meet you there.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.”

“Perfect. I guess I’ll bid you good night then.”

“I guess so.”

Luc stepped out of the car and walked to her side. He opened the door for her and she stepped out. He crowded her with his height. Her head was the same line as his chest. She raised her head and looked into his eyes. He was wearing his glasses and thoughts of how she’d take them off and caress his face danced in her head. She didn’t want to seem desperate, so she opted for planting a kiss on his cheek. On tiptoes, she did just that.

“Good night, Kibe,” she said and walked through the gate of her house.

Luc was bit dumbfounded for a few seconds. Getting himself, he placed his palm on the spot on his cheek she had kissed. First, she had forgiven him. Secondly, she had agreed to go on a date with him. Now she had kissed him goodnight. Yes, it was on his cheek, but it was everything to him.

“Should I have kissed her?” he asked himself.

“Well, it’s too late to kiss her now. I guess I’ll save it for next Saturday.” He chuckled and stepped into his car. Humming a melodious hymn to himself, he drove into the beautiful night.



***

“Amuche! Amuche!”

“Ma!” Amuche answered her mother from inside the house.

“Get the door. I bolted it from inside when your father came back. It’s probably your sister. I forgot she went out.”

“Mummy,” Amuche glared at her mother as she walked into the living room. “How would you forget your daughter went out?”

“Biko, please open the door and stop asking me question.”

Amuche opened the door for Amara. “Someone is smiling,” she said to Amara.

“Why did you guys bolt the door kwanu?” Amara glared at her.

“It wasn’t me na. It was mummy. Mummy see what you’ve caused, Amara is attacking me.”

“I’m not attacking you oh. Mummy good evening.”

“Welcome nne,” Patricia replied. “How was your outing?”

“It was fine.” Placing the bag of chips she bought on the center table, she smiled at her mother and walked inside, Amuche trailing behind her.

“Won’t you tell me how it was?” Patricia shouted as they walked inside.

“No mummy, I won’t tell you.” Amara shouted back. “Eat your chips and leave some for Amuche.”

“But you’ll tell me definitely, “ Amuche said, opening Amara’s room door.

“Abi tell us,” Ngozi said from inside.

“Ahan!” Amara exclaimed in surprise. “Zii, what are you still doing here?”

“Waiting for gist,” Ngozi replied flatly. She was lounged on Amara’s bed.

Amara looked around her room and found it perfectly arranged. Dropping her hand bag on her bed and taking off her shoes, she walked to her wardrobe and opened it. Her clothes were neatly folded and hung. She whirled back and stared at her sister and best friend. “Ok, what’s going on? First of, thank you guys, whomever it was, for arranging my room. But what’s the catch?”

Amuche laughed, “can’t I help my sister again?”

Amara raised an eyebrow at her.

“Amara tell us how the night went. We arranged the place so you won’t give an excuse of arranging your clothes and not telling us what happened.”

Amara burst out laughing. “Are you guys for real?”

Ngozi rolled her eyes at her. “Should we beg you for the gist?”

“No. I’m sorry. It’s just funny.” She laughed harder. “The length you both would go to just to know everything in my life. It’s adorable too.

“Anyway. The night went well. He told me what happened with Beverly and even the genesis of the Beverly issue.” She gave them a few details about the night. “Then he officially asked me on a date.”

“Really?” Ngozi clapped her hands together. “Tell me you said yes.”

“Dem no born am make she no say yes,” Amuche snickered.

“Ha-ha-ha Amuche. Anyway I did say yes. He said he’d like to cook me dinner.” She grinned from ear to ear.

“Aww, so romantic,” Amuche dabbed at fake tears.

“Yes!” Ngozi bumped her fist in the air.

“Why are you more excited about the date than I am?” Amara laughed at Ngozi.

“First of all, you can stop the whining about Luc and let me have peace of mind.”

“But—”

“Tatatata,” Ngozi shushed her. “I’m still talking. Secondly, Luc is a cool guy. He finally had sense and did the right thing. Lastly, my makeover didn’t go to waste tonight. I can sleep in peace.”

“I think you should go home.”

“I’m sleeping here,” Ngozi punched the bed. “On this bed.”

“And I’m going to sleep in my room,” Amuche declared. “I’m happy for you, sis.”

“Thanks, baby sis. Now get some sleep,” Amara kissed her sister on the head.

“What’s up with you and Chuka anyway?” Amara asked Ngozi as soon as Amuche left.

“Same old stuff. We’re enjoying each other’s company.”

Amara just smiled and stepped into the bathroom. The night went great. She would definitely sleep well.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance