Coincidence Finale

 


Amara was having palpitations as she read through the comment section of the post.

“This girl is just a gold digger, no be say she fine sef…”

“All these women that work for successful men, always looking for a way to bring them down.”

“I just went through her page😂😂, she’s a serious lowlife…”

“Ahan, Folake would be heartbroken, I hope she’s ok…”

“These pictures sef, who took them…”

“I saw pictures of her at Ngozi Peters’ party, clearly kissing ass…”

“I can’t believe this,” she said to Ngozi’s hearing. “Like everyone has assumed I’m the bad guy.” They were both sitting in Ngozi’s car outside Luc’s house waiting for him.

Ngozi snatched the phone from her and locked it. “This shit ain’t healthy for you.”

Amara sniffled, eyes red from crying. “What would you have me do?”

“I’d have you stay away from social media and all the nonsense flying around,” Ngozi answered her. “I told you I got this under control.”

“I can’t stay idle. I have to—”

“You’ll talk to Lucas and then you’ll hand in your resignation,” Ngozi interjected. “That’s what you’ll do.” She looked up and spotted Luc’s car driving in. “Speaking of Lucas, he’s here.”

Amara snapped her head towards Luc’s car. Ngozi squeezed her hand and they both stepped out as Luc stepped out of his car too. Amara noticed how tousled his hair was and how he didn’t look happy. She ran to him and he pulled her into a tight hug.

“I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry,” she sobbed. “I can explain.”

“Shh, don’t cry,” he whispered into her hair. “Let’s get you inside.”

“I’m glad that you had the decency to want to know what happened before jumping to conclusions,” Ngozi interrupted them. “Now I know you care about my friend.”

“Err, I—”

“You didn’t need to answer me, Luc. Just take care of her. Ngozi needs to get to the bottom of this mess.” She smiled at Amara, “I’ll call you later. Stop crying.”

She got into her car and they watched her drive off.

Amara let Luc guide her inside his apartment. He made her sit on one of the sofas and left her briefly. He returned with a glass of whiskey and handed it to her.

She chuckled, “isn’t it too early for a drink?”

“You seem like you need it,” he answered calmly.

She eyed the glass for a minute before taking it from him and finishing the drink in a gulp. She coughed as the heat from it burned her throat and went all the way down her chest.

“How was that?” Luc asked her.

“Not bad.” She answered.

“Now, tell me everything.”

Amara took a deep breath and began her tale. She told him about the advances from Daramola and how she had ended up with him Saturday night. He didn’t interrupt her through it all. She saw his jaw clench as she got to the part where Daramola forced himself on her.

“I don’t know who took those pictures, but believe me, he forced himself on me.” She concluded.

Luc put his hands on his face before he spoke, “Why didn’t you tell me Daramola was hitting on you?”

“I didn’t want to cause a fight between you two and I thought I could handle him.”

“Well clearly, you couldn’t,” he snapped.

She jerked away from him and started sobbing again.

Luc sighed and crouched in front of her. He took her hands in his and willed her to look at him. “I’m sorry I snapped, I’m just too angry at Daramola and at the photographer and that gossip whatever.”

She couldn’t say anything.

“I’m also sorry you have to go through this, but I want you to know that you have got me. I’m not going anywhere.”

She smiled at him then. A genuine smile. “Thank you so much, babe.”

“You’re welcome. We have to do something though.” He sat beside her.

Amara looked puzzled, “What’s that?”

“We’re gonna drop your resignation. Tomorrow morning, you’re in no state to go there today.”

“Oh, ok.”

“I’ll call him to make sure he’ll be at the office tomorrow, I want to see his face as I tell him my piece of mind.”

“I don’t want you fighting him, Luc.”

When he only scoffed, Amara tried to reason with him again.

“It’s alright,” Luc conceded. “I’ll take you home when you’re ready.”

“Thank you,” she said, giving him a weak smile. “For believing me and not the gossip.”

“To be honest, I did think for a while you had something going on with Daramola,” Luc sighed. “But the more I thought about it, the more it didn’t add up. I was going to call you after work if you hadn’t called.”

Amara leaned into him and laid her head on his shoulder. “I don’t blame you. I know I’d have thoughts if I were you. The best part of all these, which is why I’m crazy about you is that you see the best in people. You saw the best in me and believed in me. So, thank you again.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, kissing her forehead. “I love you, so much.”

She smiled, “I love you too.”

***

Luc picked Amara up the next morning so they could be done with her resignation. He didn’t want her to be alone with Daramola for one second. He had called the person he thought was his friend and he had been so smug about the whole incident. He cringed as he remembered the conversation on the phone:

Luc: Dara, will you be at work tomorrow?

Daramola: sure, what’s up?

Luc: just that you’re trending because of your employee.

Daramola: omo, don’t mind that babe. She wants to tarnish my image. Do you know she invited me to dinner and jumped me?

Luc: I can’t possibly imagine. He replied sarcastically.

Daramola didn’t get it.

Daramola: I was like, let me just see why she invited me. She had been hinting at it since. Like an appreciation dinner. I was gullible sha.

Luc: clearly. You didn’t tell me you finally engaged Folake.

Daramola: long story bro. I’d fill you in soon.

Luc: I’ll see you at the office like say 9?

Daramola: works for me.

At the end of the call, Luc was enraged. All he wanted was for them to be done with the task so he could call Ngozi and ask her what she knew. The sooner they get to the bottom of the situation, the better for everyone. He wanted to see his girlfriend smile genuinely again. He wanted to hear her laugh because of something funny. He wanted her back to her usual self. And he was going to make her happy again. Now, as the elevator doors open, he held her hand as they walked out together.

“I got you,” he reassured her. “You know that right?”

She squeezed his palm. “I know, and that’s the best part of everything.”

He raised her palm to his mouth and planted the softest of kisses on it.

Amara smiled and said, “I want to speak with Olaitan briefly,” She was dressed in a burgundy gown. Her face had gotten some of its color back and he was pleased that she wasn’t crying so much anymore. He couldn’t wait to call Ngozi after they were done with Daramola to know what she’d found out.

“Ok,” he said, squeezing her palm. “Let’s go.”

They walked to the HR office and Olaitan screamed immediately after they walked in.

“Amara,” she exclaimed and ran to hug her. “What am I hearing like this? I’ve been trying to reach you since yesterday.”

“I am sorry,” Amara apologized. “I wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone.

“What happened?” Olaitan demanded.

Amara gave an abridged version of what she had been through.

“You’re kidding!” Olaitan gasped when she was done explaining. “You mean, Daramola did this?”

“Yes. He has never made a move on you has he?”

“No, and he’s super lucky he didn’t. I would have cut off his balls and fed them to him.”

“Laitan!” Amara chuckled. “Anyway, I’m here to hand in my resignation.”

“You even bothered.” Then she finally noticed Luc in the room. “Oh, I’m so sorry. Good morning. Lucas right?”

“Yes,” Luc smiled and stuck out his palm to shake her. “Nice to finally meet you, Olaitan.”

Olaitan shook him, then scowled at him. “You’re friends with an asshole.”

“As of yesterday, I’m no longer friends with someone like that,” Luc answered. “Let alone someone who laid hands on my woman.”

Olaitan puckered her lips in genuine happiness and then whistled. “You go girl.”

Amara managed a small laugh, “We’ll be leaving now. Please be safe, Olaitan.”

“Don’t worry about me, I can take care of myself,” Olaitan reassured her. “Just kick his ass in there.”

“I plan to sue him for sexual harassment.”

“As you should dear, as you should.”

“See you around, Olaitan,” Luc said to her, then he and Amara walked to Daramola’s office.

Amara didn’t think she should knock on Daramola’s door, so, she barged into his office and found him at his desk.

“How dare you barge in here!” He barked at her. Then he spotted Luc walking in behind her. “Lucas, what are you doing here?”

“I did tell you I was coming over,” Luc replied, his jaw tightening.

“It looked like you were coming in with this wh—”

Before he could complete his statement, Lucas had lurched at him and had his hands at the collar of his shirt. “First of all, don’t you ever call her that. Secondly, I am coming in with her and you’ll listen to everything she has to say.”

“Luc,” Amara called out to him. She was still standing at the other side of the desk. “Just let him go, he’s not worth it.”

Daramola looked at both of them with surprise. “What’s going on here? And get your hands off me, Luc?”

“What’s going on is you disrespected my girlfriend and you’ll pay for it,” Luc spat. He finally let go of him.

Daramola chuckled, “Your what?”

Amara put in immediately, “This is my resignation letter.” She placed the envelope that contained the resignation letter she had taken from her bag on his desk. She wanted to be done with Daramola and get Luc out of there. “And you’ll be hearing from my lawyers soon. I’m suing you.”

Daramola guffawed, “You? Sue me? For what?”

“For sexual harassment, you perv,” Luc sneered.

“Everyone loves me. No one is going to believe her,” Daramola said, smugly.

“I guess we’ll see about that,” Amara smirked. “Let’s get out of here, Luc.”

As they turned to leave, Daramola said to their backs. “You’ll come back begging, Amara. And as for you, Luc, we’re not friends anymore.”

“The feeling is mutual,” Luc replied.

“Amara, you know, I could have made you scream my name with you writhing underneath me.”

Luc went back intending to pounce on him but Amara held him back. “Luc, come on, he’s not worth it.”

“Yeah, listen to your girlfriend who didn’t do a very good job anyway. I only kept her here because I wanted her body.”

Amara, who had been holding Luc back from being violent lost control at that moment and threw a punch in Daramola’s face. He fell back in his seat and glared at her in surprise, rubbing his face.

“Never tell me I never did a great job, cos I did,” she fumed. “I did my job with dignity. And I’m coming for you with the full force of the law. You’ll pay for laying a finger on me.”

“That’s my girl,” Lucas said from behind her. “Now, we can leave.” He guided her towards the door. They could hear Daramola screaming curses at them, but they didn’t turn back.

Luc pulled her into a hug as soon as they got out of the building. “You were amazing, especially with that punch.”

She laughed. “I never knew I could do that. My fist hurts.” She flexed her fingers.

“We’ll put some ice on it,” Luc said and kissed her palm again. “Did you get it?”

Amara took out her phone from her pocket which had been on the sound recorder app. She stopped the recording and played it. She fast-forwarded it to the part Daramola spoke. She and Luc grinned widely. “Got it all on tape.”

Luc gave her a high five. After they had decided they were going to see Daramola, Luc suggested the recording. And they hadn’t needed to rile Daramola up, he had fallen perfectly into their trap. Now they had evidence against him. All they had to do now was find the photographer.

***

Ngozi sat with her legs crossed in the room she had booked. She had checked on Ace, the trustworthy hacker she had hired, every day since she had booked the room and contacted him. It was the Friday after the post from gossipwork. She watched as he worked to find out the identity of gossipwork. She sat across him from the only table in the room. Her back was resting on the chair. She took a sip of the drink she had in her glass. She liked Ace because he was very efficient and he always delivered whenever she needed his help. And why won’t he deliver with all the money she paid him? Once he figured out who the culprit was, she’d pay the person a friendly visit and the air would be cleared. No one messed with her own and got away with it. Amara was all for being nice. Well, she’d show gossipwork just how nice she could be.

“Are you any closer to finding out who that asshole is?” She asked Ace.

Ace stroked his beard for a second. “Whoever this is, he or she is good,” he said in his deep baritone voice. “There are a lot of firewalls I’ve been trying to break.”

Ngozi scoffed. “I’m not paying you to tell me how good they are.”

“I’m just saying why it’s—”

“Can you do it or not?” She cut him off.

He spared her a look. “I can do it without you crowding me and demanding to know the progress.”

Ngozi sighed. “I’m sorry, but I promised my best friend I would get to the bottom of this. I just need you to step up. If you need help, you can say the word.”

He smirked. “I don’t need help. I’m almost there.”

“Good, get it done soon,” she said as she took out her phone from her pocket. “I have to take this call and use the opportunity to leave this room. Keep working.” She stepped out of the room and picked up the call.

“Lucas.” She said. “What’s up?” She kept walking towards the reception. The room was on the ground floor.

“You know we got the recording already,” Luc answered. “I have spoken to my lawyer and papers for suing Daramola are being filed. The recording was evidence.”

Ngozi smiled as she got to the reception and found a good spot to sit, away from prying eyes or eavesdroppers. “That’s great. One down, I guess.”

“Until he’s behind bars, I wouldn’t rest. Or pays for damages.”

Ngozi chuckled. “Of course, there’s no way he’s getting away with what he did.”

“You sound menacing, as usual.”

If Luc could see Ngozi, he’d see her evil grin.

“How are things with the hacker?” Luc asked.

“Nothing yet, but he said he’s almost through.”

“If he needs help, I can get someone,” Luc offered.

“I trust my guy,” Ngozi said. “He’ll come through.”

“Alright. Just let me know the moment you find out who the bastard is.”

“You bet.”

Luc ended the call and Ngozi walked back to the room to meet a smiling Ace.

“You look excessively pleased with yourself,” Ngozi commented as she shut the door.

“I have found your gossipwork,” Ace replied and turned his laptop screen towards her.

Ngozi looked at the name on the screen and grinned. “Why am I not surprised?”

Ace looked at her, then at his screen again. “You know who this is?”

“Yeah, makes my work easier.” She picked up her handbag from the table. “I’ll send your money. Check out when you feel like it. I got the room for seven days.”

“Wait, you’re leaving already?” Ace looked disappointed.

“Yes, I am. Looks like I’ll be visiting gossipwork sooner than later.” She grinned again. “Thanks and bye. Order a champagne or something and celebrate.”

She walked out of the room and made a call. “Hi, meet me at the house in two hours. We have somewhere to be.” She hung up and walked to her car.

Sometime after noon, Ngozi knocked on the door of gossipwork, her bodyguard behind her. He looked normal, except for the bulging biceps almost tearing his pink shirt. He looked more like a cute bodybuilder than someone intimidating, which was why Ngozi liked him. No one would think he knew more than lifting weights. She was also dressed to kill. Her makeup was perfect and her outfit smelled of money. She had dark shades on and red lipstick. A white shirt was tucked into a pair of leather pants. Her boots were heeled and black. She decided her look was intimidating enough for her and her bodyguard.

When there was no answer, Ngozi knocked again. She was sure that gossipwork was home because she had done her findings before coming. Finally, the door opened and the gasp from gossipwork gave Ngozi satisfaction.

“What are you doing here?” gossipwork asked, looking more bewildered.

“I’d let me in if I were you,” Ngozi replied with a smile on her face.

Gossipwork reluctantly stepped outside for Ngozi and her bodyguard to step into the house.

Ngozi scanned the living room briefly before finding a spot to sit.

“I ask again,” gossipwork said through gritted teeth. “What are you doing here?”

“But that’s no way to treat a guest.”

“You weren’t invited,” gossipwork folded her arms and glared at her.

“I invited myself,” Ngozi replied. “Quick question, did Daramola pay you to take those pictures or this was all you?”

Gossipwork kept glaring at her.

“I don’t like repeating myself,” Ngozi spat.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 “Anyway, I’ll cut straight to the chase,” Ngozi said again. “I’m here cos I want you to take down the post you made about Amara and say that you only did that cos you were jealous. Then you’d tell the whole world who you are and delete gossipwork from Instagram and everywhere. And also delete your supposed legit blog, Bev’s juices. It’s not helping anyone anyway.”

Beverly laughed. “Excuse me? You’re joking, right? How dare you walk into my house and demand things from me? And assume I am gossipwork.”

Ngozi took off her glasses and looked into Beverly’s eyes. “Do I look like I’m joking?”

“I am not gossipwork!”

“You’re bold, I’ll give you that. But you see Egg over here,” Ngozi pointed at her bodyguard who had been standing behind her quietly since they got inside. “Say hi, Egg.”

Egg tilted his neck to stare at them with the same stone expression he had. Then he tilted it back to its original position.

“Very lovely guy, right?” Ngozi continued. “And a lovely name too.”

Beverly stared at her with her mouth wide open.

“As I was saying,” Ngozi snickered. “Egg is very efficient in what he does and he can break every bone in your body.” She smiled when Beverly caught her breath. “So, here’s what will happen; Egg will find your devices, make you give us your passwords, break every bone in your body, then I’ll take down the post about Amara, tell everyone you’re gossipwork, and delete your accounts. Either way, I’m getting what I want.”

“You’re bluffing!” Beverly yelled.

Ngozi remained calm on the couch. “Let’s do this again, shall we? Beverly, find your devices and do what I asked you, nicely. Or we can do it the other way.”

“I… I am not scared of you,” Beverly stuttered.

“I told you, not too long ago that you should be,” Ngozi said. She gestured for Egg to take a step towards Beverly. She delighted at Beverly’s panicked expression.

“Stop it,” Beverly screamed. “Tell him to stop.”

Ngozi motioned for Egg to stop moving. “I am listening.”

“You can’t— you can’t do this.”

“Yes, I can. And I will,” Ngozi affirmed.

“All my hard work. All my sweat—”

“Maybe next time you won’t make a living off people’s misfortune,” Ngozi grinned at her. “Anyway, you messed with the wrong person.”

“What is she to you, anyway?” Beverly spat. “A freaking lowlife with nothing to her name.”

“She’s my best friend.”

“I told her I’d make her pay for stealing Luc from me and embarrassing me at your parents’ party.”

“And now I will make you pay for messing with her. How petty can you be?” Ngozi rolled her eyes.

“I will—"

Ngozi interrupted and stood eye to eye with Beverly, who took a step back. “Enough. I would stop talking if I were you and start working. My patience has run thin. And Egg is getting bored.”

Beverly glanced briefly at Egg and whimpered. She turned around and went into the house. Ngozi made Egg follow her. She didn’t have to wait a minute before they were back in the living room. Beverly had a laptop and her phone in her hands.

“Perfect,” Ngozi noticed. “Egg will make a video of your statement. That’s the confession I need.”

Beverly sat on one of her couches while Egg hovered around her to make sure she did exactly what Ngozi said. Beverly made the statement saying she lied about her last post as gossipwork. They made multiple videos until Ngozi was satisfied. Beverly then took down the old post and deleted the account, with some weeping. The next was Bev’s juices. She cried more as she took that down too.

“Are you done?” Ngozi asked, after what seemed like eons later.

Beverly couldn’t speak. She simply nodded.

Ngozi took out her phone and searched for gossipwork on Instagram. She was satisfied that she couldn’t find it. As well as Bev’s juices. She made a mental note to tell Ace to make sure everything about Beverly is off the internet. Like she doesn’t exist. She chatted with the great blogger, Debbie, and told her she has something for her.

“You didn’t answer my first question, were you working with Daramola?”

Beverly shook her head.

“You’d be a fool to lie with me, so I hope you’re telling the truth.”

“Daramola knew nothing,” Beverly confirmed.

“Good. And did you take the pictures yourself?”

“I already did what you wanted!” Beverly yelled. “Leave.”

“I say when this is over,” Ngozi said calmly. “Now, who was the photographer?”

Beverly whimpered as she gave up her photographer.

“Thank you for your cooperation,” Ngozi stood. “The only time you’ll ever see me here again is if you try something that looks like this stunt again. And then, Egg would be doing his job. Have a nice day.” She strolled out triumphantly, Egg trailing behind her, while Beverly wailed.

“I have refreshed like a million times,” Amuche said to Amara. “I’m telling you, there’s no gossipwork on Instagram. Again.” They were both sprawled on Amara’s bed.

“Give me that,” Amara snatched the phone from Amuche. She searched for gossipwork and didn’t find it, just like Amuche said. “it’s just… gone.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Amuche took back her phone.

Amara was too dumbfounded to say anything. They had just seen the post where Beverly had confessed to being gossipwork and that her post about Amara was a lie on Debbie’s blog, one of the most popular blogs.

“I still can’t believe Beverly was behind all of it,” Amara sighed.

Amuche scoffed, “The girl was full of bitterness at Ngozi’s party. I am not surprised. But I do want to know why she confessed.”

“Same here,” Amara said. Could Ngozi be behind it? She thought to herself. Just then, her phone pinged and she checked the text. Talk of the devil, it was Ngozi.

I am at yours. Send Amuche to open it.

“Amuche!” Amara shrieked, getting up from her bed. “Get the door. Ngozi is here.”

Amuche didn’t waste a bit, Amara trailing behind her. She opened the front door for Ngozi.

“Hey girls,” Ngozi said to them, grinning. “What’s up?”

“What did you do, Ngozi?” Amara asked her.

“Amara, courtesy demands that you say hi to your guest,” Ngozi said, brushing past her and Amuche.

“Hi Ngozi,” Amuche said. “But what’s Amara talking about?”

“Exactly,” Amara said.

Ngozi sat on one of the cushions and crossed her leg. “Is your dad back from his trip?”

“Zii!” Amara glared at her friend.

“Is your mum home?”

“Ngozi Peters!”

“Mara!” Ngozi glared back. “You know what to do.”

Amara took in deep breaths, while Amuche chuckled. “Hi, Ngozi. How are you doing?”

“I am splendid, thanks for asking,” Ngozi replied. “And how are you?”

“I just saw a video of Beverly confessing to trying to ruin me because she was jealous. I feel so many things. Relieved. Disgusted. Astonished. Most importantly, I want to know why she confessed.”

“Don’t we all want to know,” Ngozi checked out her nails.

Amara sat down beside Ngozi. “Zii, you said you were going to take care of things. What did you do?”

“Ok fine,” Ngozi sighed. “I made that happen.” She narrated everything to them. From the moment her hacker had found out Beverly was gossipwork, finding where she lived, the subtle threat to break Beverly’s bones and finally sending the video to Debbie. “Debbie owed me a favor. She was more than happy to post the video and write something exclusive as the caption.”

As soon as she was done, Amuche exclaimed. “Now that’s what I’m talking about. Money stops nonsense. Power stops nonsense.” She clapped her hands.

“Well, what can I say?” Ngozi bragged. “As Cercei said, ‘Power is power.’”

“I’m still processing,” Amara said. “Are you saying you took someone to threaten Beverly?”

“Duh!” Amuche sneered at her. “What part of what she said don’t you understand?”

“Shut up your mouth,” Amara hissed at her.

“Hian,” Amuche finally sat down. “Instead of you to say thank you.”

Amara ignored her and faced Ngozi, who was laughing loudly. “Zii, I can’t believe you did that for me.” Amara had tears in her eyes.

“Don’t do that,” Ngozi hugged her. “We should be celebrating that your name has been cleared.”

“Thank you, for being an amazing friend,” Amara said.

“You’re welcome.”

“But no more physically threatening people.” Amara laughed.

“I can’t promise you that.”

“Thank you, Ngozi,” Amuche came over to join the hug. “For being there for my sister.”

“Ugh, you guys are making me sick with the mushiness,” Ngozi rolled her eyes.

They all laughed at that.

“Ngozi, could you like introduce me to the hacker?” Amuche asked slyly.

“No,” Amara glared at Ngozi. “Hell no, Ngozi. Don’t even think of it.” Then she glared at Amuche, “Are you crazy?”

“What?” Amuche rolled her eyes at her. “I’m not a baby anymore.”

“You’re not getting a hacker's contact. And that’s it.”

“Yes boss,” Ngozi chuckled.

Amuche was arguing more about the decision when there was a knock on the door.

“Saved by the knock,” Ngozi muttered and sprang for the door. “Look who decided to join the party,” she said when she opened the door and found Luc standing.

“Hi Ngozi,” Luc chuckled.

“Well, don’t just stand there, come in,” she stepped aside for him to come into the house.

Amara jumped on him the minute she spotted him.

“Someone is excited,” Luc said, kissing her forehead.

“You won’t believe what I’m about to tell you,” Amara said to him.

“I have some news too,” he said to her.

Amara took his hand and they both sat together. Amara, Ngozi, and Amuche took turns telling him what had happened.

“Oh wow,” he exclaimed finally. “I can’t believe Beverly would do this to you, babe.” He took both her hands and kissed them. “I’m so sorry I brought her back into your life.”

“It’s all worth it, as long as I have you,” she smiled, then kissed him.

“Ugh, get a room, guys,” Ngozi growled.

“I can’t believe I’m seeing this again,” Amuche covered her eyes.

Luc and Amara laughed, both getting the joke.

“Luc, you said you had news for us,” Ngozi said.

“Oh yes, my lawyer and Daramola's lawyer have been talking. We got to agree that the pictures were not of Daramola’s making, as you sais. He couldn’t have implicated himself like that.”

“That is well and good,” Ngozi said. “Beverly said she was working alone. Well, she and her photographer. I have found that one too. Egg is taking care of him.”

Everyone glared at her.

“What?” she asked them.

“I don’t think I want to know what you mean by Egg is taking care of him,” Luc said.

“Then don’t ask,” Ngozi smiled.

“Ngozi, don’t do anything extreme,” Amara pleaded.

“Ugh! Y’all are no fun at all. Fine, nothing extreme.”

“I am just glad that this is over,” Amara sighed. “Thank you.”

“Yes, and we can start looking for a better job for you,” Luc replied.

“Aww, couple goals,” Amuche cooed.

“This calls for a celebration!” Ngozi cried. “Bills on me. Let’s head out.”

“Yippe! I’m down for this!” Amuche agreed.

“I am, Luc?” Amara asked her boyfriend.

“Anything for you, my love,” Luc affirmed.

“To the strip club!” Ngozi shrieked.

Everyone spoke at the same time.

“Eh?”

“You say?”

“What?”

***

“This is amazing,” Olaitan said to Amara.

“Thank you, Laitan,” Amara replied. “I am so glad you could make it. And you brought your boyfriend.”

They were at Luc’s birthday party on the beach. Amara had gotten another job in a bigger IT firm, and Luc had started teaching some things about coding. It was a bit annoying. But it was fun too.

“Sure, I wouldn’t miss it for anything. And I needed Seyi with me,” Olaitan laughed. “How’s the new job?”

“Oh, it’s wonderful. I have an amazing boss and my colleagues are friendly.”

“That’s great,” Olaitan smiled at her. “I am happy for you.”

“Thank you,” Amara smiled. “How far my dress?”

Olaitan rolled her eyes at her, “you dey craze?”

Amara chuckled. “Madam designer, what of my dress?”

“Aunty rest,” Olaitan replied. “You know how it is to start a business. I’m still trying to set up. Your dress will come much later.”

Amara laughed out loud, the ocean breeze in her hair. Of course she knew her dress wasn’t ready. After leaving Daratech, Olaitan had decided she’d start her fashion designing business, something she had always wanted to do. Amara was happy for her friend and the progress she was making. Amara had received a lot of money from the court case against Daramola. Daramola also got to do 2 years jail time. He deserved it.

Amara looked at her friends around her. The party had dispersed a bit, for enjoy the scenery. She spotted Ngozi and Chuks playing close to the shore, splashing water on themselves. Ngozi and Chuks had decided they should be official, instead of just playing around. It was nice to see them loved up. Olaitan’s boyfriend was having a serious conversation with Amuche close to a suya seller. If Amara knew her sister well, it was to find out if he had single brothers or friends.

Then there was Luc, laughing with some of his friends. He looked handsomest in his flowered shorts and white shirt. As if he knew she was staring at him, he caught her eye and winked at her. Her heart beat faster. No matter how many times he had looked at her, she was still lost in his eyes. This man she had met coincidentally again had captured her heart forever. She smiled. She had all she wanted and she was grateful for family, friends and Lucas.



Comments

  1. Loved every bit of the story from start to finish. Kudos girl and please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... I love love... Ace huh? I saw what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece. Love your writing style. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance