Hit and Run III



Chikanyima was having fun. She was so glad that Daberechi noticed she was bored in the house. Initially, she had liked staying indoors, helping to cook and to do some chores, seeing movies, but it became monotonous. She didn’t know anyone in the estate and even when she decided to stroll, she hardly saw anyone. The place was as quiet as a grave yard. All she heard were the distant sounds of vehicles moving on the third mainland bridge, to show how quiet the estate was. Daby asked a lot of questions during their outings, Chika felt she was just trying to know her better, she wasn’t bothered by them. Daberechi couldn’t deny the fact that she was having fun with Chika, something she hadn’t felt in a long time. She only hoped it wasn’t a waste. One day, after their movie in the cinema, they went to KFC to eat. Daby started asking her questions in a coded way. “When did your school go on break?” “End of July”, Chika answered. “So, that means you were at home when my dad died”, Daby said, absent mindedly. “Yeah, I was”, Chika replied, dipping her fries in ketchup and eating them, “my dad had been saying he wanted to see your dad urgently. I don’t know if he did before, you know, he died. That day, my dad and Ifeanyi left home early, Ifeanyi said he wasn’t at the office the entire day. He came back late to tell us you called him to give the bad news.” She had confirmed Uncle Somto wasn’t at the office in Enugu the day her dad died. That was progress.
Just when she thought things wouldn’t get any worse, Daby was in her room planning for the next day when she heard a scream from Chika’s room. She ran to the room and found Chika with her phone, crying. “What is it?” She asked Chika, coming close to her. “My mum just called now, she said my dad had been attacked by robbers and he was shot in the stomach. He’s in critical condition”, Chika cried. Daberechi was shocked. She wasn’t expecting such a news. She thought her uncle had a hand in her father’s murder, now, it looked like someone was also trying to kill him. “I have to go home, Daby, I have to see him”, Chika said, distracting her from her thoughts. She realized she hadn’t said anything. “Yes, you’ll go home, we both will, I’ll call Mr. Johnson and tell him to take care of things while we go. Stop crying, your dad will be fine, pack your things, we’ll leave in the morning.” Chika nodded, not trusting herself to say anything for fear of crying all over again. Daby left her and made two calls, one to Mr Johnson and the second to her assistant to book a flight for her and Chika.
Enugu hadn’t changed since they were there last. They landed around 11am and took a taxi to St. Patrick’s hospital. “Chika, go inside now, find your mum. I’ll go home with the taxi to drop our bags. I’ll meet you guys later”, Daby said to Chika when they got to the hospital. “Okay”, Chika replied, already leaving the car. Fifteen minutes later, Daby came back to the hospital and found her aunt and cousins. “How’s he now?” she asked, as she hugged aunt Tricia. “He’s stable now”, Aunt Tricia replied, smiling weakly. “Hope you are fine, Daby, you didn’t have to come with Chika.” “I had to come, you guys are family”, Daby said, hugging Ifeanyi now. “Big boy, hope you are taking care of your mum?” “I am”, Ifeanyi replied.
Some days passed and Uncle Somto started coming around. Daby had to talk to him immediately. As soon as he was moved from the ICU to a personal ward, she went to talk to him. “Hey uncle”, she said as she came into the ward, “how are you feeling today?” “I should believe I’m getting better”, Uncle Somto replied, “thanks for staying around.” Daberechi nodded, “it’s what we do for family.” She talked about some other things before she finally brought up the robbery matter. “Uncle, I don’t think what happened to you was a robbery, just as I don’t think my dad’s death was an accident.” Uncle Somto knew he was attacked, but he was surprised that Daberechi could have such thoughts. He didn’t want her involved in any of it. “Daby nwa m, you shouldn’t have these thoughts, accidents happen”, he tried to sound reassuring. Daby said, “listen to yourself. Someone killed my dad, someone almost killed you, what’s next? Hmm, they come after your wife, your kids, me? What do you know, Uncle Somto? What are you not telling me?”
 Her voice was raised now, a nurse came to complain. “Miss, if you won’t talk gently, I’ll ask you to leave.” Daberechi apologized. “It’s okay, nurse, she’ll be calm”, Uncle Somto told the nurse as she left. He didn’t say anything still. “I know you were in Lagos the day he died”, Daberechi said, looking hard at him. He was bewildered. “What happened?” “Your dad and I didn’t tell you anything, for your safety, Daby”, Uncle Somto said. “I’m a big girl, I can take care of myself”, she replied without emotion. Uncle Somto continued talking, “your dad found out something about the Olawole lands, he was confused on what to do, he asked me to come so he could tell me what, no one was supposed to find out anything.” “You are talking in parables, Uncle, what about the Olawole lands? What’s so important about them? Why don’t you want anyone to know anything?” Daberechi couldn’t stop asking questions. “I can’t tell you, my dear.” Daby was infuriated, “who else knows of this?” she asked, pacing. “Daby…..” “Fine, if you won’t tell me, I’ll find out myself, I’ll know what’s in those damn lands and why it’s threatening. Meanwhile, you and your family need bodyguards, I hired some already, I’m not losing anyone again.” With these words, she left him and went outside the hospital.
 She took out her phone and dialed a number. “Hello”, came a rich, masculine voice from the other end of the line. “Hi, I need you to investigate the Olawole lands, I need to know what everyone is hiding. When you get something tangible, I’ll wire your money”, Daby said. “Nice to hear from you too”, came the reply. Daby frowned, she looked at her phone then put it back on her ear. “Kaycee, since when is it nice to hear from me?” She asked. “Since it means I’ll get an alert”, he replied, “and since it means I’ll see you soon.” He hung up. Daby was angry, “he hung up on me, the nerve. He better get useful facts, or nothing for him.” She took in deep breaths to calm herself down, she had other things to worry about than to read meaning to his last words. She went inside the hospital to be with her family. She would do anything to protect them now.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II