Hit and Run VIII



He was furious. Jake had been killed and the little brat got away. All his plans were going down the drain. He had to do something fast before the last of his plans got ruined. He’ll have to take the bull by the horn this time and get the charade done and over with.
                                                   ***
The atmosphere was very tensed. It was some days after Daberechi’s kidnap and the Easter celebrations. Daby had called Uncle Somto to tell him what happened. He had wanted to fly to Lagos immediately but she had said she was fine. She didn’t spend the celebration with family but she was alright. That night, after the police had left, Kaycee took her home. She was out of the door when Kaycee stopped her, “get a few things and come back, you are spending the night at my place.” “Excuse me?” Daby asked, disgusted. “After everything that happened, I’m not leaving you alone in this house”, Kaycee said. “I won’t be alone, I’ll call my cook and the laundry girl to keep me company”, Daby replied. “Seriously, vixen, I know you think you can take care of yourself…” “I can take care of myself”, Daby interrupted “…still, I’ll be at ease if I keep an eye on you. “I’m not spending the night in your house or moving in”, Daby said vehemently. She was afraid, she didn’t know she’d do alone with Kaycee and she also didn’t like that fact that she would depend on anyone for her safety.
 “Okay then, I’ll move in”, Kaycee replied, not backing out. Daby laughed, “you are joking right?” “I’ve never been more serious”, Kaycee replied without humor. She saw he was serious, there was no difference between her moving in and he moving into her house. “No”, she answered, walking away. “Daby, I’ve thought of so many things in this life, but what I couldn’t imagine or bring myself to think of was my life without you. Your kidnap made me realize that I didn’t know what I’d do if I lost you.” Kaycee said behind her. Daby turned around and looked him in the eyes, “that’s some crazy emotional shit Kaycee and you know I don’t dwell on that.” “Why?” Kaycee asked, coming close to her. “Why do you keep yourself from feeling?” “OK, fine, move in” Daby finally answered, just to prevent Kaycee from asking further questions. She was already angry that he made her insides melt whenever he looked at her. Kaycee left to get a few things from his house and returned later.
Daby kept her distance from him, she gave him the guest room on the ground floor and stayed most times in her room upstairs. She went to work with him behind her, then he went on to work. She spent most evenings watching Big brother Naija, finally Alex was HOH, she was hoping she’d win it. Unusual people deserved a chance. Kaycee also didn’t intrude on her privacy, he watched her and was more amused that he had an effect on her. One evening, he decided to tell her what he knew. “Good evening Vixen”, he said, picking an apple on the kitchen slab. Daby was preparing dinner, her cook was ill. “Hi Kaycee”, she said, not looking up from the carrots she was chopping. “Smells good in here”, he said, perusing her. “Thanks”, she replied, “is there something you need?” “I’d have said you, but I think I like my life”, Kaycee replied, focusing on the knife in her hand. She laughed, in spite of herself. “I know what’s in the Olawole lands”, Kaycee said. Daby looked up now, she made a facial expression that meant Kaycee to keep talking. “It’s oil, vixen”, he replied seeing her surprise. “Oil? In Lagos? On the island?” Daby was dumbfounded. “I was surprised too, but that’s what my little birds say. Someone wants all the liquid gold to himself”, Kaycee said biting on the apple.
Someone killed her father, tried to kill her uncle, kidnapped and almost killed her because of oil in the Olawole lands and she still didn’t know who it was. “Thanks for the information, Kaycee”, she said, going back to chopping carrots. She had a lot on her mind and her entire being was already aware of his presence in the kitchen. She could feel his eyes on her and made a mistake of looking at him. Kaycee wasn’t backing out now, he tossed the apple have finished aside and moved closer to her, took the knife and moved it away from her reach. She didn’t protest when he tucked a lazy strand of her hair behind her ear, or when he cupped her cheeks and brought his lips to hers. She inhaled a sharp breath as she opened her mouth and accepted the kiss. Damn! Where those butterflies she felt inside her belly? Kaycee took possession of her entire mouth and drew her closer before he lifted her on the kitchen slab. “I love you”, he said under his breath. Daby didn’t know what to say, she just kept kissing him. His lips went to her neck and she gasped. Just then, her phone rang. “Oh crap”, she said as she moved away from him, breath taken and answered her phone. “Hello, Miss Ekeh”, came the voice at the other end of the line. “Hello Mr Johnson, she replied, recognizing the voice. Mr Johnson was always helpful, she suspected him initially but he was too nice to be a murderer or kidnapper. “I was wondering if you were free for dinner today, you’ve gone through a lot, you need a little treat”, he said. She laughed, “of course I’m free, tell me where and when and I’ll come”. He gave her the address and hung up.
“You aren’t going anywhere”, Kaycee said, bringing her out of whatever daydream she was having. “You don’t tell me what to do”, she said, angry at him or herself for what happened a while ago, “you aren’t my father, brother or boyfriend.” She turned off the gas and brought down what she was cooking hearing Kaycee arguing but not listening. “It’s not safe Daby”, he said finally, hoping she’d listen. “I’m going for a casual dinner cos this sounds more like jealousy than you wanting my safety. Even if it wasn’t casual, it isn’t your business just”, she said, shooting him with Cupid’s arrow. She saw what she said hurt him, but she didn’t take it back. “I’m going and you won’t follow me like you do”, she said then left the kitchen to prepare. Kaycee stayed silent, didn’t she see how much she meant to him. She left about 15minutes later wearing a simple black gown but looked beautiful, as always.
Daby drove with a lot on her mind. She was sorry she hurt Kaycee and was not happy she was feeling so many things at the same time. She had to get out of the house to think clearly and be distracted. She’d talk business with Mr Johnson and eat anything she wanted. She’d deal with Kaycee when she got home. Hopefully he’d will asleep by the time she returned.
                                                   ***
He took a sip of vodka and thought about his plans and how they were going well enough. Before the end of the night, everything would be over, he smiled to himself.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance