Hit and Run IX




The night looked promising. An all paid dinner at an exquisite restaurant with lights and music and the ocean in view. The air smelled of the rains. The evening was cool, almost chilly. The dark clouds could be noticed even in the night sky. What could possibly go wrong? The only thing Daby thought could ruin her evening was if she got drenched; which was unlikely or if she got into another argument with Kaycee. Daby got to the restaurant she had agreed to meet Mr Johnson, and found a place to park her car. That wasn’t difficult cos Marlon Fingers was almost always quiet and deserted. She looked at herself in the rearview mirror and adjusted her makeup. If not for Mr Johnson, she wouldn’t be in the exquisite, almost creepy restaurant. She got out of her car and went inside and found him in a second. “Sorry, I hope I’m not late?” She asked bending down to give him a kiss on the cheek. “You are just in time, dear”, he replied, almost without humor. She took a seat opposite him which made the ocean visible and a waiter came to take their orders. Daby went through the menu quickly and decided to have seafood, it wasn’t everyday she had such luxury. Mr Johnson also ordered and had the waiter bring a bottle of Chardonnay. “How’s home? I hope your wife is okay with this, you know, arrangement?” Daby asked before she could stop herself. He laughed this time, “she’s completely okay with it, I assure you.” Their order came soon and they engaged in friendly conversation as well as business while they ate.
“How do you intend to run the company once you become the CEO?” Mr Johnson scrutinized her. She looked at him through the rim of her glass of wine. “The same way I’ve been running it these past months since my dad died, even better. I’ll have you with me for advice on things I’m not sure of. I can do this.” Somehow, she felt she was being tested and she felt she was failing. She could hear herself dragging her words and felt more drunk than tipsy. She had had only one glass of the Chardonnay, why was she feeling like she had drunk the entire bottle. “Can I ask you something, Mr Johnson?” Daby spoke carefully, taking the last sip from her glass. “Sure you can”, Mr Johnson replied, noticing her uneasiness. “Do you think my father was murdered?” He looked at her closely and just said, “I think you need to go home, you’ve probably had enough to drink. I’ll walk you to your car.” “Aren’t you going to take me home?” Daby asked, “I don’t feel so well.” “You’ll be fine”, Mr Johnson replied helping her up, “I just remembered I need to get something for my wife.” Mr Johnson had the rest of her food packaged and paid the waiter before he walked her to her car. The night was already cold and Daby shivered as she got into her car. “Drive safely”, he told her. She could see the lightning through the clouds and waited for the thunder that followed. She didn’t know why it reminded her of Thor in the recent Avengers. She smiled to herself, it was a good movie.
Mr Johnson watched as she backed out of the restaurant before he got into his car. Daby drove at a steady pace because of her uneasiness. She turned on her music player and let Jon Bellion’s hand of God fill her car. She hadn’t driven for 15minutes when she heard a loud sound behind her which moved her car beyond her control to a junction. Before she could get herself, another car came from the left side of the road and collided with her car with enough force to make her car turn 360° before everything around her went black. The clouds chose that moment to empty their bowels on the earth.
                                                ***
He got out of the car and admired the wreckage he caused. He was already drenched from the rain but he didn’t care. Fortunately for him, the road was free of pedestrians or other road users. He hadn’t noticed anyone when walked to the damaged car, stride by stride and found her bleeding from her head and other parts of her body. He smiled to himself. It started with a Hit and Run, it will end with a Hit and Run. To make sure everything ended then and there, he bent over her to strangle her. “Get away from her right now”, came a voice behind him. He turned around and recognized the young detective that had been following her around for a while. How on earth did he forget about the idiot? He raised his hands up as he eyed the gun he pointed at him. “I just wanted to know if she was still alive”, he said. “Don’t lie to me old man”, Kaycee said, “if you cared about her you should have called an ambulance immediately or carried her to the hospital.” “I just got here young man, now you could help me take her to the hospital.” “I told her it wasn’t safe but she wouldn’t listen”, Kaycee said angrily, “I’m not an idiot, I saw you hit her. I could kill you right now but that would be against the law so I’d tell you to move away from the car before I blast your brains out.”
Busted! No, he couldn’t let everything go to waste because of a simple oversight. He pretended to move away from the car then brought out a knife from his pocket and threw it at Kaycee’s hand. “Argh”, Kaycee yelled as he felt the pain and dropped the gun. The man moved swiftly for his age and picked up the gun and pointed it Kaycee who was on the ground now. “I admire you, you trying to save your little girlfriend, you have been a pain in my ass for too long but I guess now I’ll have to end you both simultaneously”, he laughed wickedly as thunder struck and the rains kept pouring. “I have worked hard enough for you to ruin it. From killing her father, to killing the other man who tried to get the Olawole lands. I almost had my way with her stupid uncle and I almost finished her off a while ago, if not for your interference. Now you interfere again, after I have orchestrated her death. I had her wine glass and food spiked with Marijuana. The headlines would read: Intoxicated with alcohol and drugs, heiress to the Ekeh Real Estate company dies in car accident. Guess who becomes the CEO, the right hand man, Mr Johnson. Me. And the Olawole lands would be mine alone and I’ll make as much money as I want from it.” “You are just a crazy psychopath”, Kaycee said. Mr Johnson laughed, “yes, my wife says that all the time and she’s perfectly okay with this arrangement.”
“Well, I have to shoot you now”, he said. “No”, Kaycee said. Mr Johnson pulled the trigger and was surprised when water came out of it. “What is this?” He asked himself but before he could think of attacking Kaycee or protecting himself, Kaycee brought out another gun from his pocket and shot him in the head. Mr Johnson didn’t have time to look him in the eyes and and wish he had known, he didn’t have time to bleed. He didn’t have time to say any last prayers. He just landed on the ground like a bag of beans and lay lifeless with his eyes wide open. “My hands have been itching to do that for a while”, Kaycee said as he got up and moved to Daby who hadn’t moved since the encounter. “Stay with me Daberechi”, he said as he carried her to his car. He made a call as he drove informing the police of the crime scene and telling them to come along with a body bag. He got to the hospital in no time. “Help, she needs help right now”, he shouted. A stretcher was brought immediately by the nurses on duty and Daby was placed on it and wheeled into the emergency room. Kaycee looked at his blood stained hands and wet clothes and wasn’t bothered about his own injury. “You are bleeding too”, said a nurse, “come let’s treat you as well.” “I’m fine, just go be with the others, all hands should be on deck, she can’t die.” “What good would you be to her if you bleed to death yourself?” the nurse scolded him and took him to a room. Kaycee said a silent prayer for Daby as he waited.
The night would have been awesome cos of the UEFA Champions league that ended with Madrid winning the trophy back to back but it wasn’t. Daberechi’s life was hanging by a thin thread.

Comments

  1. Like it is said, the wicked will never go unpunished. Nice one again, Olivia. I just hope Daberechi gets to live

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. What shall it profit a man... Dabby please don't die😢 I really hoped Liverpool would win tho. Nice one dearest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lkvr the way you tell your stories basba on yoiy environment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II