The other side of me 7

 

Photo: The Niger Bridge

“I can’t find her!” Nifemi yelled at Emenike.
“What do you mean you can’t find her? I thought she was in her room” Emenike answered.
“Think again sir, she’s gone. She’s not here. We need to leave now!”
“Take it easy young man—”
“No, I’m not taking it easy. We shouldn’t take it easy. We have to go find her before she gets to Chike because I know she's going to him.”
“What’s going on here?” Sandra asked, holding a tray of food. They were in the dining room in the house.
“Kosara is gone,” Emenike simply said. He took out his phone and dialed a number.
Sandra dropped the tray on the dining table and sat down. She had met her husband’s lost daughter the night before. Now the lady had disappeared again. Did she want to stay hidden forever?
“I don’t understand. Why would she leave? Wasn’t I nice enough? Wasn’t I accommodating?”
“This isn’t about you ma'am,” Nifemi tried to reassure Sandra, “it’s about something much more.”
Emenike ended the call and spoke to his wife, “I know you have a lot of questions darling but this isn’t the time. I promise I’ll answer everything but now I have to go find my daughter before she makes a mistake.” He kissed her on the head and beckoned for Nifemi to come with him.
“Thank you so much for your hospitality ma'am,” Nifemi said and hurried after Emenike.
Sandra waved them goodbye, “Be safe.” She looked at the tray of bread and eggs she had prepared and sighed. She hoped and prayed everything would be fine, that whatever was going on, they’d find Kosarachi.

 Emenike told his driver to take them to the airport. He had no idea where Kosara would be, but Nifemi seemed sure she was heading to Onitsha to meet Chike and not Obi at the address he had texted to him the day before. He also had words for the driver that took Kosarachi to the airport, or the pilot.
“She left this drive and this note,” Nifemi said to Emenike in the car, holding a piece of paper and a flash drive he had taken out of his pocket.
Emenike took the note from him. He wore his glasses and read the note in Kosarachi's handwriting;

      Hey Nifemi,
   I knew you wouldn’t approve of me leaving, but I had to. The drive beside this note has a list of people. I always have the drive on me, as a safety precaution. I wasn’t completely honest with you. I did keep tabs on Chike and I could only do that through hacking. 
Yes, I am a hacker. I know it’s illegal but I had no choice. Those names would help take Chike down, if I ever have to use them  because they’re clients he has crossed over the years. Also, the drive has some of Chike’s illegal dealings and his accounts, offshore and within. I had thought of taking it to the police so many times, but I didn’t know who to trust. I also thought of sending Chike's statements of account to one or all of the people on that list but they might just blackmail him, not put him away forever. Give the drive to my father, he’ll know what to do with it, hopefully.
 I had to leave, Raven’s life is in danger. If I don’t show up, they’ll kill her. I’ve been selfish for so long, I can’t let anyone else get hurt because of me. Hurry up with whatever plan you and my father will come up with and save me. If you can’t get to me on time, just know I’m very grateful for everything you’ve done. Thanks for showing me what love is.
Kosarachi.

Emenike blinked and read the note again before he said to Nifemi, “I am not letting anything happen to her. You have my word.”
“I appreciate that, sir. So, what exactly is our plan with this drive?” Nifemi handed the drive to Emenike.
“I’m calling the Inspector General of police right away. He owes me a favor and I’m sure he can find some officers in Onitsha who aren’t on Chike's payroll.”
He placed the call and spoke for a few minutes before he spoke to Nifemi again, “we have to get to the Inspector General. He is in town and he wants to see the drive.”
“I thought the plan was to go to the airport, take a plane to Asaba, find our way to Onitsha—”
“What would we do when we get to Onitsha? We don’t know exactly where Kosara is. We can’t help her by charging into Onitsha. It’s going to be a wild goose chase. What if she’s in Lagos? Let’s meet up with the IG and talk about this. I’m sure there are some police officers who have had eyes on him for some time. They’ll help us with a location, then we can go to Onitsha. You should have shown me the note at the house.”
“I just wanted us to get to Onitsha. Besides, do you trust the IG?” Everything is on that drive. Every evidence we have on Chike. If it gets into the wrong hands, Kosara is dead.”
“I know you’re anxious Nifemi and that’s because you love her. But we need to be rational here. I trust the IG. I give you my word that he is trustworthy.”
“Forgive me if I can’t trust you or your word, you did leave Kosarachi and her mother.”

Emenike hitched his breath at Nifemi’s statement. That bullet again. That bullet keeps hitting him over and over again, even from this stranger who has shown more love to his daughter than he ever had. He didn’t blame the young man.

“I am trying to make things right,” Emenike simply said.

Nifemi sighed and put his face in his palms, “I am really sorry sir. I know you’re doing your best. I just don’t want to lose her. Or Raven. I want us to save them both. There’s no guarantee that they’ll keep Raven alive even if she shows up. They’re blood thirsty bastards. There’s no time.”
“That’s why we’re going to the IG right away,” Emenike said. He told his driver where to go and they continued their drive in silence. 

Emenike thought about everything that had happened since Saturday evening. He and Kosara were arguing, as usual, when Nifemi received a threatening call from the people after Kosara. Apparently they had Raven, Nifemi’s ex girlfriend and they would kill her if Kosara didn’t turn herself in. He had managed to convince Nifemi and Kosara that they should sleep over and they would make plans in the morning. Although, how those people had gotten to Nifemi’s ex girlfriend was a bit appalling.
He had called his wife to tell her he wouldn’t be coming back to the family house that night and she had offered to come over, to at least meet Kosara. And they had met.

He knocked on the door of the room he had offered Kosarachi. She asked him to come in before he opened the door. She was standing by the window, arms folded.
“Where’s your “friend”?” He asked, referring to Nifemi with emphasis.
Kosarachi rolled her eyes, “he’s somewhere, probably thinking of how to get Raven back. What do you want? Do you have any ideas on how to save Raven and I?”
“Uhm, there’s someone I want you to meet first, Kosara,” Emenike said to Kosarachi.
“What are you talking about?” she asked him.
“Please, just come with me,” he said.
“Someone’s life is in danger and you want me to meet someone else. Except whoever I’m going to meet will help us, then it’s not important.” Kosara put her hands on her waist, adamant not to move.
Emenike sighed and sat down on the bed, “it’s Sandra. I told her I wasn’t coming home because you’re here. She wants to meet you.”
Kosara’s face softened a bit, “why does she want to meet me? I thought she would hate me?”
“Far from it, she doesn’t hate you. For what it’s worth, she wouldn’t speak to me for weeks when I told her everything about you.”
“Really? I think I like her already. So, when exactly did you tell her about me?”
“When you stopped contacting me. I was confused and didn’t know what to do. She suggested I look for you, after she started speaking to me again. I told her you didn’t want to be found and that when you were ready, you’d show up. I guess I was right about that.”
Kosara rolled her eyes, “I show up whenever I’m in trouble then. I don’t like that I’m here and it’s not because of you, but because of your family.”
Emenike stood and stepped close to her. He wanted to take her hand but she jerked away from him. He rubbed his hand on his face instead and said, “I am happy you care for my family. But they’re your family too. Don’t forget that. I hope you’ll be able to forgive me someday.”
She didn’t say anything for a while, she looked lost in thoughts. 
Finally, she said, “don’t tell her or your kids about this situation I'm in.”
“I won’t.”
“Great, let’s go meet my stepmom.”

They walked to the office they had met up initially and he opened the door for her to go in. Kosarachi stepped in and he noticed how composed she was.
“Kosara, I’d like you to meet Sandra, my wife,” Emenike said to Kosarachi, then to Sandra, “Sandra, this is my daughter, Kosarachi.”
Sandra had stood from her seat as soon as she saw them come in. She looked a bit nervous compared to Kosarachi.
Kosara stuck out her hand to shake Sandra, “It’s nice to finally meet you. You’re prettier in person than in pictures.”
Sandra laughed and it was as though all her nervousness disappeared. She didn’t take Kosara’s hand but pulled her into an embrace. “It’s nice to finally meet you too. I’m really sorry about everything.” She pulled away from the embrace to look at her.
Kosarachi wasn’t a hugger, except it was Nifemi.  She was a bit surprised when Sandra pulled her in. She wasn’t expecting the hug, it was written all over her face. “You don’t need to apologize. Whatever happened wasn’t your fault.” She looked at  Emenike and he of course knew she meant everything that happened was his fault. 
“Well, I am still sorry. And you are really pretty too,” Sandra said to her.
“You think? So you don’t have a problem with my nose ring, my purple contact lenses and my gold hair?” Kosara asked her.
Sandra blinked, she definitely wasn’t expecting that response. “Err, I don’t have a problem with how you look dear. Like I said earlier, you’re pretty.”
“Thanks,” Kosarachi managed to smile for the first time that evening. Emenike couldn’t remember the last time he saw her smile. In fact, he didn’t know if he had ever seen her smile genuinely since the day she confronted him. God bless Sandra for bringing that part of his daughter out.

They talked for a while before Kosara excused herself.

“She didn’t hate me or maybe she’s a good actress. She tried talking to me politely. She’s also evasive,” Sandra said as soon as Kosara shut the door.
Emenike pulled his wife into his arms, “she doesn’t hate you dear. Why do you both think the other hates her? She hates me instead, and yes, she’s evasive but it’s for the best.”
“I’m sorry about that. But maybe hate is a strong word. She did go through a lot alone. I remember when you told me about her and how angry I was. Her anger is justified. Give her some time. How long is she staying?”
“She’s not staying long this time.”
“She also looks troubled, Emmie. It was written all over her face, even though she looked composed.”
“You don’t need to worry your psychologist head about anything, we’re handling it,” Emenike reassured his wife.
“Anything I can do to help?” 
“Yes, you can prepare something for us to eat because I’m sure she and her friend must be hungry,” Emenike joked.
“She’s here with someone?”
“Ahh, yes she is. She claims he is her friend but I know something’s going on between them. I see the way he looks at her and talks to her. The young man can also tame “Sara”, her alter ego. Remember I told you she likes to be called Sara.”
“And you came to this conclusion in this short period of time that you’ve been with her and this young man?” Sandra raised an eyebrow.
“Yes I did.  Now, please would you prepare something for us to eat? Tomorrow is going to be a long day.”

And indeed, the day had already begun in a terrifying way with Kosara’s disappearance. Emenike hoped they would get to the IG in time to save her. 

Nifemi kept tapping his laps, clearly worried. He thought about the previous night. How had he not sensed that Kosarachi would disappear on him? How had he not seen that he didn’t convince her enough that everything would be fine?
He was in the room Kosarachi’s father had someone prepare for him thinking about Obi's call. He kept wondering how Obi had gotten Raven.

 Nothing came to his mind.

 He called his sister, just to be sure his family was safe. They were, which was a good thing. He let his mind wander back to the main issue. How would he get Raven back? He was so sure he would never give Kosarachi up. He kept pacing and thinking and pondering when he heard a knock on the door.
“Come in,” he answered. 
Kosarachi walked in. No matter how many times he had seen her, he was always in awe of her.
“Hi,” she said, stepping in, “how are you doing?”
“Why are you sounding so formal?” he replied her with another question.
She didn’t say anything but sat on the bed. He went and sat beside her.
“I’m not sure how I feel,” he finally said. “I left things bad with Raven and now she’s in trouble because of me—”
“You mean because of me?” Kosarachi cut him off.
“This isn’t your fault, baby,” Nifemi turned to look at her.
“But it is. If I wasn’t in your life, you and Raven would still be together and she wouldn’t be in trouble. If I hadn’t-, if Sara hadn’t stolen you away from Raven, she wouldn’t be in this mess.”
“What are you talking about?” You’re Sara, remember. Besides, if you hadn’t made the move, I would have later on. I told you I have been attracted to you for a while now.”
“Yes, I’m Sara,” Kosarachi sighed. Talking about her other self with someone else was new. She let that slide to focus on the more pressing issue. “Still, I doubt you would have made a move this fast. Raven would still be safe.”
“Okay, stop this. Stop blaming yourself—”
“I can’t stop blaming myself, Nifemi. I just can’t!” Kosarachi stood up. “You should just give me up and get Raven back.”
Nifemi stood up and held her tightly on her shoulders, “listen to me, Kosarachi Igwe. No one is giving you up to Chike. I would never give you up. We’ll get Raven back. I’m sure your father has a plan or we’ll figure it out. Together. We will, I promise you.” 
He hugged her just as she was tearing up. He held her for a while, to calm her down. 
“I just met my stepmom.” Kosarachi sniffed.
“Really?” He pulled away to look at her.
“Yes, really. She’s okay. I kinda like her.” Kosarachi managed a faint smile.
“That’s great then. Everything will be fine.” 
He had met Mrs Igwe and four of them had had dinner together. Kosarachi looked like she was handling everything well. She clearly wasn’t. He said a silent prayer for her as they wove their way through the Abuja roads to Central Area.

                                                                                                  ***
Kosarachi clearly wasn’t thinking straight. What on Earth was she doing, heading to Chike's lair? It was like walking into the lion’s den and she was doing that with her eyes wide open. But she couldn’t think of anything else. She had to leave Nifemi and her father so that she could buy herself and Raven some time. How had Obi gotten Raven? The height they’d go to just to get her back was appalling.

 She never would have thought she’d care about someone else, especially Raven, but Raven didn’t deserve to die, no matter how annoying she was. She had planned this carefully. That Saturday night Obi had called and she had met her father’s wife, she had excused herself and went to find Nifemi. Then she took his phone, carefully.
She saw the text Obi had sent, he didn’t hide the number. She had communicated with him and made her plans. The driver that had brought her to see her father didn’t ask her too many questions when she told him she needed to go to the airport. The pilot too didn’t ask her questions when she said she had to be in Asaba. Everything went smoothly because she had said her father sent her. He really did have gullible workers. The only thing that she enjoyed on the ride was crossing the Niger bridge again. It had been a long while.

She took in a deep breath as soon as the cab she was in pulled up in front of the house she had dreaded as a child. The house she never wanted to see again, but here she was. She paid the cab driver and stepped out of the car. She was so sure Chike would kill her but he’d watch her suffer first. That was her only hope, his thirst to see her suffer would buy Nifemi and her father some time to get her out of here. She knew they wouldn’t leave her here. The flash had enough information to pinpoint her whereabouts.
She took a step towards the black gate and knocked. She didn’t recognize the gate keeper.
“Who are you?” he asked her.
“Tell Obinwanne that Kosarachi is here,” she answered him. 
He looked at her in a menacing way from head to toe before he went inside, shutting the gate. Her nerves got to her immediately. Maybe she should head back, maybe she should just leave. She had contacted Obi before she left for Onitsha. The only way he would see her is if he came back to Onitsha with Raven. He had laughed at her but had agreed that he’d keep Raven alive if she showed up in Onitsha. 

She hoped he kept his part of the bargain and Raven was still alive and not dead in Lagos. Oh no! What if he actually did kill her in Lagos? No, she had requested a video of Raven alive and had seen it. Oh dear God, what if this was a mistake? Before she could disappear, the black gate opened and Obi pointed a gun at her.
“Get in,” he said.
Kosarachi walked through the gate slowly and obediently. The gatekeeper locked the gate and she felt her freedom slip through her fingers. There was no going back now. She took satisfaction in the bandage she saw on Obi's head.
“Stop!” Obi exclaimed.
 He searched her roughly and found the gun she hid under her polo. The gun Nifemi had taken from him. He took it from her and snickered. He also took her phone from her.
“Keep walking,” he finally said to her, pointing the gun to the back of her head.
Kosarachi kept walking towards the white building. It used to be creamy and older. Now it was renovated, and somehow looked bigger. 
She turned around briefly to ask, “Where’s Raven?”
“I am right here,” a voice said.
Kosarachi turned towards the voice.  Who she saw surprised her. 
 Raven.
 She was standing at the door that provided entrance into the white building. She looked well, dressed in fresh clothes and not in any pain. She wasn’t bound, though Kosarachi noticed the rope marks on her hands. What annoyed her the most was the smirk on Raven's face.
“What the hell is going on?” Kosarachi asked as soon as she got to Raven.
Raven laughed, “I am surprised that you actually came here, just to keep me alive. If I were in your shoes, I’d have let you die.”
Kosarachi blinked and asked again in a menacing tone, “what the hell is going on?”
“I’ll tell you what is going,” Raven answered, “I told Obi that I hated you and I wanted to see you suffer too. So I made a deal with him, I’d give him whatever he wanted and in exchange I’d watch you suffer slowly before his boss kills you. Is that clear enough?”
Kosarachi swallowed and in a blink of an eye, she was Sara.
“You fool. What did you offer him just to see me suffer?”
“She gave me your boyfriend’s number and she’s also very good in bed,” Obi answered Kosarachi and went over to kiss Raven. “What other things she offered are none of your business.”
Sara looked at them in disgust.  Obi and Raven were screwing? The mere thought of it was just disgusting. 
What had Kosarachi expected, coming here? She blamed her for what was going on. Her only hope was Nifemi and her father, she’d stall her suffering for as long as possible.
“Well, this is interesting. So Raven, do you know Obi is a drug dealer and now that you’re part of them, there’s no going back?”
Raven shifted a bit. She looked troubled but tried to act calm. “I know what I am doing. Unlike you. This is your end, boyfriend snatcher.”
“Awwn, you’re so pitiful and dumb. I feel really sorry for you. Obi and everyone here will use you and dump you. I was more valuable but they still used me, but you’re trash and you’ll be dumped in a second,” Sara said to Raven, calmly.
That earned her a slap on the face by Raven, but she laughed instead and continued talking.
“You know, I am glad Nifemi chose me over you. You’d stoop so low just to hurt me. You’re an ass kisser and it’s sad. I can’t believe you’d put yourself in danger because you hate me so much. Remember that Nifemi chose me over you, remember that when Obi drives himself inside you—” 
Raven slapped her again.
“Shut up! Shut your mouth you bitch! I'll kill you myself, I’ll kill you myself,” Raven almost pounced on the laughing Sara but Obi held her by her waist, pulling her away from Sara. 
“Enough!” a deep voice said, from the balcony of the house. 
Raven stopped kicking and struggling and Obi left her, they both looked up at the person who spoke. Sara stopped laughing and looked up also. 
Chike.
 She should have been scared, but she wasn’t. His face was older and tougher. He had a beard that had bits of grey hair. He wore a hat so she couldn’t see the hair on his head. He looked built, she noticed no excess flesh in the black shirt and black trousers he wore. She also noticed a scar that ran from under his left eye to his cheek. She gave him that scar. She smiled then and looked him in the eyes.
“Kosarachi, it’s good to see you again, you look great,” Chike said.
“I can’t say the same for you, Chike,” Kosarachi replied.
“I see your manners have been corrupted after staying away for too long,” Chike replied with a smirk on his face, “we will change that. Bring her to me, Obinwanne.” He walked inside.
Obi forcefully dragged Sara inside the house. Raven shut the door behind them and followed Obi up the stairs to meet with Chike. By the time they had gotten to Chike's office, he was already sitting behind his desk in his office. His office was tidy and clean. He didn’t have art decorating the walls. Instead, there was a head of a bull hanging just above his seat. It looked terrifying. There was also a visible safe in the wall.
He lighted a cigar and watched as Obi pushed Sara into the office, with the little toy he had gotten following them. He’d deal with the Raven bitch later, no one laid hands on Kosarachi except him. He eyed Kosarachi again, taking in her face, her body. She did look great even in the jeans and polo.
He dragged in smoke, puffed and finally said, “welcome home, Kosarachi.”


Comments

  1. Here she goes again..Queen of suspense.
    Nice one Liv.. Thumbs up.
    And as for Raven she's definitely going to bite her finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad I have to wait until next week to see what happens next. Liv, you got me again. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d have to wait till Sunday again??why???😭😭😭

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance