The Other side of me 9

 

Photo: Google

Kosarachi stared back at Chike as he stared at her. Her entire body was in pain, but some how, she had gotten accustomed to it. Unknown to Chike, she had regained some strength. Her switch from Kosarachi to Sara, then back to Kosarachi had been rapid during the past hours. 
She looked Chike in the eyes again. This man had made her hide her identity. This man had made her afraid to be who she was. This man had made her run almost her entire life. And here he was, right in front of her, scared too. Everything that had happened to her, was because of him. Well part of it. Her father had a hand in it, but at least he was trying to make amends. Chike, however, wasn’t trying to make amends. He still hated her. He still wanted to see her suffer. What did she ever do to him to deserve such scorn? 

She didn’t want him to get away with the car the police would give him just to keep her alive. She knew he wouldn’t let her leave here alive too and she wasn’t going to let another person out there be scared of him. She wasn’t going to let anyone else be at the mercy of Chike. She was done being afraid of him. She was done being afraid of who she was.

“How does it feel knowing that everything you have is about to be taken away from you?” she asked Chike.
He kept staring at her but didn’t utter a word.
“I know you’re thinking of how you’ll regroup, how you’ll get everything back with the money you got in all your accounts. But the truth is, you wouldn’t be able to do that. Ask me why?” she spoke smugly.
“Why?” he had a smirk on his face.
“Because I made sure I destroyed you before coming here.”
He laughed then, “how did you destroy me, you little thief?”
“It was very simple, actually. I hacked into your accounts. I know where all your money is and right now, I am guessing the police does. You have nothing.”
Chike wasn’t smiling anymore. 
“What do you mean you hacked my accounts?”
“Exactly what it means. Your accounts could be empty or frozen as we speak. You have NOTHING.” Kosarachi made sure she enunciated every sound in nothing.
“You’re lying,” Chike shifted in his stance but still pointed the gun at her.
“I think I’ve lied enough for my lifetime and my generation. Even if you did get away from here, everyone you ever crossed or stole from would be after you because you’d be vulnerable. No money, no friends, no place to hide. You’re a dead man if you go into the streets again. Just do what the detective said, turn yourself in, “Uncle” Chike.”
“Shut up before I blow your brains out like I did to Raven,” Chike threatened.
But Kosarachi was on a row, she wouldn’t shut up. “Turn yourself in now and remember when you spend the rest of your miserable life behind bars that I did this to you. The little girl your cousin left you with. The little girl you raped continuously. The little girl that stole from you, destroyed you.”

That earned her a slap, but it was all she needed to distract Chike. As soon as he hit her, she regained her composure and charged him. She got up from her chair and hit him with all her strength, all her body and the gun he held fell off his hand. They landed on the floor together, with her on top of him only briefly before he nudged her away from him. She rolled over but moved the gun away from Chike’s reach. He dragged her by her hand across the floor to try to get to the gun but he couldn’t. Instead he stayed on top of her, slapping her as she struggled.
She stopped struggling for a second and he tried to move away from her but she bit him on his hand before he could move away.  He yelled in pain as she pushed him off her with all the strength she could find. She rolled over quickly and finally got to the gun. She picked it up and stood. Shaking and staggering a bit, she pointed the gun at Chike.
“Don’t move,” she said menacingly.
Chike laughed at her and stood up to face her.
“I said don’t move or I’ll shoot.” She wondered why the police hadn’t charged into the room with all the noise they had made.
“You can’t do anything. You had the chance to shoot me when you were thirteen. Instead you used a knife to scar me.”
“I’m not thirteen anymore, Chike.”

Chike hissed and took a step towards her. In a blink of an eye, Kosarachi pulled the trigger and the gunshot filled the entire house. She shot him in the leg, to stop him from moving. She shook a bit as he bent low and growled just for a few seconds. He stood up and wanted to keep moving towards her but she shot him again, this time in his belly. He fell back and blood gushed freely from his leg and his belly. It could have easily mixed with Raven’s blood, if he fell where Raven had.
“You, y-you shot me,” Chike coughed, writhing on the floor.
Kosarachi didn’t move or say anything. For a brief moment, she felt like she heard Chike exhale his last breath. He said nothing else and remained still.
Kosarachi exhaled deeply and still didn’t move from where she stood. Her hands were still shaky and she couldn’t believe what she had done. 
She had killed Chike.
 Heavy knocking on the door snapped her out of her thoughts. How long had they been knocking? Why were they even knocking? She walked to the door and realized it was locked from inside. She unlocked it without saying a word and a man almost toppled over. He had a gun in his hand, why hadn’t he shot the door open? She figured he was the detective. He was a bald man who  looked to be about Chike’s age. He wore a bullet proof on top of his uniform. He came into the room, followed by two other men wearing police uniforms. She could hear more footsteps but didn’t bother to look past the door. 

Detective Maurice stared at the gun in the lady’s hand and then at the dead man on the floor. The Man on the floor, Chike, had his eyes wide open and was in a pool of blood.
 He was definitely dead. 
He wondered what had happened. Chike had gone from the killer to the killed under five minutes. 
“It’s okay, you can give the gun to me now,” Maurice said to the lady.
She hesitated for a bit, obviously still in shock, before she gave the gun to him.
“Are you okay?” he asked her. Her face was bruised and she didn’t walk gracefully also.
“Yes, yes I am,” she exhaled. “One more thing,” she limped towards Chike’s body before Maurice could object and stooped beside him. She stared at him for a second before putting her hand into his trouser pocket. She didn’t find whatever it was she was looking for in that one so she tried the next pocket. She took out a piece of jewelry. Was that an earring or nose ring?
“Please step away from him ma'am,” Detective Maurice said to her. 
She limped back towards him after putting the jewelry in her pocket.
“I’d like you to tell me everything that happened, from the beginning,” he said to her. Police men poured into the room as he spoke. “First of all, what’s your name, dear?”
She took in a deep breath and looked him in the face for the first time, “my name is Kosarachi Igwe.”

                                                                                                      ***
Nifemi sat patiently as the car navigated its way to Onitsha, from the Asaba local airport. He had been patient when they drove through the Niger bridge. He had been patient when the detective had called Kosarachi’s father to tell him Chike’s demands. He had been patient when Kosarachi’s father had yelled at the driver to move faster. But as they got closer to the house, according to the Google map, his patience wore out. He was anxious to know what was going on. Whether Chike had gotten away. Whether Kosarachi and Raven were safe.

The driver finally got to a black gate that was ajar. He noticed the police cars surrounding the house and even the ones blocking the entrance. He could see policemen everywhere. Some were getting into their vehicles to move out quickly.
Then he spotted the ambulance, parked beside the gate.
Before the driver could stop the engine of the car, Nifemi had dashed out towards the open gate.
“Nifemi, wait! It’s not safe,” he heard Chief Emenike saying to him.
 But he didn’t listen.
 He needed to be inside. He stopped when he saw some paramedics carrying a body in a stretcher, definitely heading towards the ambulance. The body was covered from head to toe with a white cloth. He hitched his breath.  Who was on the stretcher? It took all his courage to keep moving towards the building. He stopped at the door when he saw a man supporting Kosarachi as they walked out of the building.
Her face was bruised and swollen, her wrists had rope marks. She looked badly hurt. He ran to her, ignoring the protests from detective Maurice.
“Baby, oh my God. I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry.” He hugged her.
“Oww,” she managed to say to Nifemi.
“I’m sorry,” he said, releasing her from his grip and holding her arms. “Did I hurt you? Are you okay? I’m so happy you’re alive.”
She managed to smile, “I am fine and I’m happy I’m alive too.” 
“You don’t look fine to me—”
“Nifemi, it’s just some bruises. I’m okay.”
She saw her father walking towards them and her heart melted. He didn’t have to be here, but he was. His influence had gotten them here thus far. Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all. She noticed Nifemi move aside for her father to stand in front of her.
“Kosara—” 
He didn’t finish what he said because Kosarachi hugged him. Nifemi was surprised. Kosarachi wouldn’t hug first except she was really happy or emotional. He smiled.
Emenike was startled. Kosarachi had never hugged him, except when she was little. He hugged her back, careful not to hurt her. He was grateful for this hug. He kissed the top of her head. He could because he was a tall man.
“I’m sorry to interrupt this reunion,” Detective Maurice cleared his throat, “but she needs to get to the hospital to have her wounds treated.”
Emenike looked at the man quizzically after he extricated himself from Kosarachi’s embrace.
“I’m Detective Maurice, we spoke on the phone.” Maurice offered his hand to Emenike, then Nifemi.
“Thank you detective, for saving my daughter,” Emenike shook Maurice’s hand.
“She saved herself,” Maurice smiled.
“That’s great,” Nifemi said, “is Obi here with Raven?”
Kosarachi swallowed. She didn’t know how to tell Nifemi Raven was dead. She didn’t know if she could tell him how she had died. She had told the detective everything that happened. Some of the policemen were already after Obi.
“We’ll discuss everything at the hospital,” Maurice said with a final tone.

                                                                                                  ***
“I can’t believe this. I just can’t believe this,” Nifemi put his face in his hands after Kosarachi had told them everything. From the time she got to Onitsha, till that moment. It was about 6pm that Sunday evening.
She was sitting on a hospital bed, dressed in a white hospital gown. Her wounds had been cleaned and treated. Her face was still swollen, fortunately she didn’t need stitches. She would be given more anesthesia to help her sleep later that night, after she talked to her father and Nifemi. Emenike sat beside her on the bed while Nifemi stood, resting on the white wall.
“I’m sorry I couldn’t save her. That was the only reason I came here—”
“Just quit apologizing for Raven. She brought what happened upon herself.”
“Femi—”
“Raven joined forces with her kidnappers. She became one of them because she hated you. She wanted you dead but died instead. How on Earth did I ever date such a person?” Nifemi was exasperated.
“I might not have been her favorite fan but she didn’t deserve to die the way she did, Femi. I saw it happen, it was—”
“It was brutal. Yes and yet I can’t believe she would be that mean. I can’t believe she’s dead too.”
“I am so sorry. I—"
“Hey, shh,” Emenike, who had been quiet during the conversation calmed her down. “Don’t beat yourself up for what happened. And we’ll take one step at a time.” He looked at Nifemi, hoping he’d get the memo to stop the Raven talk. “I know there’s so much to say but you need rest. I’ll be right back, let me speak to the doctor.” 
He left she and Nifemi alone.
Nifemi didn’t move from where he stood. So many things went through his mind. What would he tell his sister about Raven? What would he do?
Kosarachi snapped him out of his thoughts, “don’t you want to sit with me?” 
“I’m mad at you. You left without looking back. You could have died. Do you know how worried I was?” he said, his voice was low.
“I’m sorry, that was the only plan I had.”
“You didn’t trust me enough to tell me about the flash drive.”
“But I trusted you to make the right choice with it. You and my father called the police and—”
“What if we hadn’t been successful? What if the police hadn’t gotten there in time? What if Chike had raped you again? God knows I would have killed him if he wasn’t dead already. What if you were not strong enough to overpower him?”
Kosarachi’s eyes watered, “so many what ifs, I know. But it worked out fine. I’m here, Femi. I’m here.”
“Beaten and in pain and there was nothing I could do for you.” 
He put his hands in his pocket and continued, “Your father and I had a conversation while you were getting treated. You have gone through a lot and we think it’d be good for you to speak to someone.”
“Are you suggesting I talk to a shrink?” she wrinkled her bruised nose.
“A psychologist, yes. Just talk to someone about everything. About your childhood, your teenage days, about your personalities. Everything.”
“I don’t need therapy, Nifemi. I don’t need a shrink!” Kosarachi raised her voice a bit.
Nifemi sighed, “calm down baby. Truth is we don’t always know what’s best for us. That’s why we have those who care about us around. I care about you, so does your father even if you don’t believe it. I want you to be fine, physically, mentally and emotionally.”
When she didn’t say anything, he continued.
“Your stepmom is a psychologist, you can see her or she’ll recommend someone for you.”
“So you and my father have become best friends to the extent of involving my stepmom. I thought she owned a boutique?”
“Kosarachi,” Nifemi said, coming close to her. He took the chair in the ward and sat opposite her. He took her hands. “She read psychology, she still has the knowledge and she’ll definitely recommend someone good for you. I’ll be going back to Lagos tomorrow. Work awaits me, so does my family. My mom called at some point today. Apparently, mama had  still called to say I visited with you. Mom wanted to know if I was in Lagos. I had to tell her something else for now.”
“Yeah, I get that you have to see your family. And Chika.” Kosarachi sighed.
“Don’t worry about Chika. By the way, your father has taken all the necessary arrangements at the office, you have some time off to rest—“
“What do you mean he took necessary arrangements? How are you all taking decisions without talking to me?”
“The same way you took the decision to walk into the lion’s den without talking to us,” he raised his voice a bit before calming down. “I’m sorry I raised my voice. But you need to rest. Take the vacation in Abuja. Be with family. See the therapist.”
“You’re my family, Nifemi. Don’t leave me alone. I don’t want you to go. I don’t know my father’s family.”
 “Yet they’re your family too and willing to accommodate you. Stay with them. I’m just going to be a call away, whenever you want to talk to me. I’ll miss you too but I think this is what’s best.”
“Fine, I’ll go to Abuja. I’ll stay with family. I’ll see a freaking therapist.”
“That’s my girl.” He used his right thumb to caress the back of her palm, then looked into her eyes. “You know I love you, right?”
She sighed and looked at him. “Yeah I do but I still don’t know what to do with it.”
He smiled faintly, “get yourself together again. You know where to find me when you need me.” He kissed her palm and held it. 
Detective Maurice chose that moment to come in to tell them that Obi had been caught.
“He couldn’t stop saying he would kill you,” Maurice said to Kosarachi. “Don’t worry, he won’t be bothering you ever again,” he added quickly, when he saw Kosarachi and Nifemi wrinkle their faces in worry.
That was great news. Kosarachi exhaled a sigh of relief. It was over. It was actually over. No Obi or Chike would ever torment her again. She still couldn’t believe it. 
Maurice told them they got to him before he could dispose of Raven. Her body was in police custody. Nifemi thanked Maurice. Getting Raven out of Onitsha was his responsibility. Emenike came in with the doctor then and they left Kosarachi with the doctor. The doctor administered some medicine to enable her sleep. She slept like a baby. Emenike and Nifemi left with Detective Maurice to make arrangements on how to move Raven’s body.

                                                                                                ***
The trip back to Abuja with her father wasn’t a bad one. They moved on Tuesday morning, after she had rested one full day and the doctor had said she could travel. Her wounds were healing fast too. Nifemi had left for Lagos the previous day. She missed him already.
“They’ll love you,” Emenike said to Kosarachi on the ride to his house in Maitama. They sat together at the back seat of the latest Range Rover. They had talked about his family. He had told Sandra Kosarachi would be staying with them and asked that she tell the kids that Kosarachi was his daughter. But he hadn’t told her everything about Chike.
“You said Sandra has filled them up on everything?” it was more like a question than a statement.
“Well, on the part that you’re my daughter. I don’t think she said I abandoned you when you were young. She said they aren’t so upset about the situation.”
“Hmmph,” Kosarachi didn’t know what to say. She was about to meet her siblings. She had no clue what she felt. Anxiety, excitement or just plain old indifference?
“I haven’t forgotten everything that happened but I’m willing to develop at least an affable relationship with you. You’ve really outdone yourself these past few days,” Kosarachi said to her father.
“I’ll take anything you offer me, dear. Thank you.” Emenike said.
“Thank you too, dad,” Kosarachi smiled at him.
That made Emenike teary eyed. He pulled her into an embrace and she didn’t reject it. Her dad was here with her.

They pulled up in the massive duplex and Kosarachi just stared at the house, her mouth agape. Of course his house would be this big, the man owned private planes. The duplex was painted cream and brown, with magnificent pillars that held it in place. The compound was large enough to contain another duplex. Instead, it had beautiful flowers that complemented the compound in reds, pinks, greens and yellows. Small shrubs also grew alongside the flowers. The rest of the ground was interlocked with peach and white tiles.
“Can you swim?” Emenike asked her when they got out of the car.
Kosarachi blinked, the question obviously brought her out of her awe of the place, “err, not exactly. I had to stay in hiding, you know. Swimming meant hanging out in public places.”
“Right. Uhm, maybe Ada could teach you. We have a pool at the back.” Emenike said, propelling her towards the house.
“Maybe,” Kosarachi replied.
 As they got closer to the white double doors that guarded the house, it opened and Sandra came out. She was followed by a young girl and a young boy. 
Ada and Emenike Jr.
Sandra came over to hug Kosarachi, “hello dear. It’s good to see you again.” She noticed the bruises on Kosarachi’s face but chose not to talk about it. Her husband would fill her in later.
Kosarachi hugged her back, “I didn’t think I’d ever say this but it’s good to see you too ma’am.”
Sandra smiled and let her go.  She hugged her husband and they beckoned for their children to come closer. 
“Ada and Emenike, meet Kosarachi, your sister,” Emenike said to the them.
They both stared at Kosarachi and she stared back at them, not knowing what to say. 
Ada finally broke the silence.
 “Great, so I’m no longer the Ada.”
“Adaobi!” her mother was shocked.
Kosarachi laughed heartily, “you are always going to be the Ada.”
“But you’re my father’s first daughter,” Ada replied.
“And you’re your mother’s first daughter,” Kosarachi countered.
Adaobi grinned, “I like you already.” She hugged Kosarachi and Kosarachi exhaled a sigh of relief.
Emenike Jr. didn’t say anything but hugged Kosarachi too. She almost cried. She had been hugged by different people in one day. Never had she imagined that her half siblings would be so receptive of her.
“Okay, let’s go into the house and have breakfast,” Sandra ushered everyone in.
The table was already set and breakfast was pancakes.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” Ada asked Kosarachi when breakfast was over and she was given the job to take Kosarachi to the room prepared for her.
Kosarachi laughed, “err, not exactly.” She wondered if she was supposed to be having this conversation with Ada so soon. She wondered if she was supposed to have the conversation with her at all. She was grateful that at least no one had asked her about the bruises on her face or the rope marks wearing out. 
This question was better. 
She thought of Nifemi. What was he doing at the moment? What did he tell his family? What did he tell his sister about her friend’s death? She wished she could be with him. Woah, why did she think of Nifemi when asked if she had a boyfriend?

She let her mind concentrate on where she was. Her room was beautiful and spacious. The bed was covered with a pink rose patterned bed sheet. The walls were painted violet and pink. The curtains were cream. It was comfy and a bit girly but she loved it. She wanted to be alone, to take in everything that had happened; but her newly acquired sister wouldn’t leave her alone. She found it sweet. She walked to the bed and sat on it. 
“It’s either a yes or a no, Sis,” Ada said, sitting beside Kosarachi.
“It’s complicated, Ada. So much has happened. I don’t really know if I want a boyfriend now, yet.” Kosarachi replied truthfully.
“But, do you love him?” Ada pressed.
“Did I ever say there was a “him”?” Kosarachi chuckled.
“Because you said “not exactly” and “it’s complicated”.” Ada replied.
“How old are you?” Kosarachi asked.
“I’m 18,” Ada answered, “and please don’t tell me I’m too young to talk about love.”
“But you are young. And beautiful too,” Kosarachi said.
“Thanks for the compliment but don’t change the subject.”
“You are insufferable, Ada,” Kosarachi sighed.
She laid on the bed. It felt like her therapy had already begun. She thought deep about everything. Nifemi was the only person in the world that had believed in her first after her mom died. He had cared for her, had stuck by her, had put himself at risk for her. Had loved her with all her flaws. He meant everything to her. Her heart beat faster when she thought of him and that was every hour of the day. She missed him so much.
“Yes,” she found herself saying, “maybe I do love him. I haven’t felt this way before in my life. It’s a different feeling, so maybe it is love. But he doesn’t know.”
Ada smiled, “then you have to “uncomplicate” things and tell him how you feel. I could help with that, but now, I’d like to know you first, if it’s okay by you. I didn’t think I’d like you but I actually do.”
Kosarachi sat up, “of course it’s okay by me. I’d like to know you more too.”
Ada hugged Kosarachi and she hugged her back. Kosarachi felt safe here. She felt loved. The love she had been deprived off all her life; sisterly love, family love. She was willing to enjoy this for as long as possible.

Ada sprung up from the bed. “So, Kosarachi, do I get to dye my hair gold too?”




Comments

  1. What an interesting way to spring up....nice piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice. We can continue the series later with "the return of obi" or "Obi takes them to school"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol guys
    Chapter 10 is the last episode oh
    Next week.. please stay tuned
    Thanks for reading this far

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oh my! Love how it came to a gradual end😪. God bless you for this, Liv. I anticipate more😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is quite emotional. Thank you for this Liv.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance