Tegan 2

 

Photo: from Google

Tegan: a tall and fair lady, very comfortable in her skin.

“I hate Mondays,” Tegan murmured to herself as she pulled up in the parking lot of Fashion Today. The drive wasn’t usually long, since Fashion Today was at Oregun and she lived at GRA and both places were located in Ikeja.
She picked up her black Gucci handbag which was resting on the front seat, alighted from her Hyundai sonata. She had sauntered a few steps before she locked the car with the remote. She glided graciously across the interlocked floor with her Armani red bottom heels. She wore a red Chanel gown that stopped at her knees. It had a small slit that exposed just a bit of her right lap. The gown hugged her body and brought out every curve she had. Her lips were the same shade of red as her dress. She didn’t draw her eyebrows, she thought doing that was exhausting. Her hair was packed in a bun and a pair of gold hoop earrings hung from her ears. She wore a gold wristwatch on her left wrist and her bag hung on her left arm.

She got into the building and walked straight to her office, nodding to greetings on the way. She opened the door to her office, flung her bag on the desk and went straight to her chair to sit down. The weekend had gone by too fast, she thought as she arranged her desk. Way too fast. She finished arranging her desk and dreamt of coffee. She liked coffee, it helped her concentrate. She walked to the coffee table at the side of her desk to make her coffee and replayed the events of the weekend in her head. Especially Saturday.

Her conversation with Taylor about the guy that barged in on her was the top of her list.

“Taylor, who the hell is Dozie and why didn’t you tell me he was coming?” Tegan barked at Taylor the moment she stepped in.
“And good evening to you too sweet sister,” Taylor rolled her eyes and strolled to the kitchen.
“Didn’t I ask you a question?”
“Give me a break, Tegan. I just got home, for crying out loud.” Taylor took a bottle of water from the fridge and walked back to the living room.
“Okay, okay, I won’t ask again,” Tegan sulked and followed Taylor to the living room.
“Dozie is Cynthia’s younger brother. You know Cynthia right?” Taylor sat on one of the single couches while Tegan sat on the bigger couch.
“Yeah I know Cynthia,” Tegan waved her hand. “So, he’s Cynthia’s brother. Great!” There was nothing great about that, she thought.
“Cynthia couldn’t deliver the fabrics herself so she sent her brother. And I told you he was coming just before I left.”
“Uh-uh. You didn’t tell me anything.”
“I did. You probably didn’t hear over the loud music,” Taylor took a long gulp of the cold water. “He brought the fabrics, right?”
Tegan looked sorry for a moment, then replied calmly, “sorry I lashed out. My fault that I didn’t hear you. But your fault for not locking the door. You have a freaking key.” She raised her voice just a bit now, “The dude walked in on me twerking in my own living room!”
Taylor laughed out loud, “really? He did? Woah, this is interesting.” She laughed more when she saw her sister’s face. “Sorry I didn’t lock the door.”
“Hahaha, very funny, Taylor. I was so embarrassed.”
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Taylor tried to sound remorseful as she swallowed her laughter. “Okay, before we continue, did he or didn’t he bring the fabrics?”
“The fabrics are in your room, ma.”
“That aside, tell me everything that happened.”
Tegan told her everything, well not everything. She didn’t have to tell Taylor she thought the young man was cute. 
“So, what was he like though? Is he handsome? Do tell?” Taylor was grinning and came to sit with Tegan on the larger couch.
Great, her sister wasn’t gonna let her get away with her thoughts.
“Well, he’s okay,” she replied without interest.
“Oh please Tegan, don’t do that.”
“Do what?”
“Act like you’re not interested, as usual.”
“But, to be fair, I was never interested in the other guys.”
“Yeah, but you are interested in this one. If you aren’t, you won’t be bothered he saw you in bum shorts and disheveled hair.”
“I would feel embarrassed if anyone saw me in bum shorts and disheveled hair, Taylor! I wasn’t even wearing a bra!”
“Whatever dude. You’re interested in this guy. I see it in your eyes.”
“Oshey, seer. I see it in your eyes.” Tegan mimicked her sister. “The boy is like what, 15.”
“Now you’re exaggerating, Tee.”
“Okay, okay, so he’s probably in his early twenties, if not twenty. I'm almost thirty, I’m not gonna be his sugar mummy.”
“You’re not 30, madam. You’re 27. And clearly still single.” Taylor attacked.
“Has it ever occurred to you that I actually want to be single?”
“Nope, it has never occurred to me.”
Tegan got up from the couch, clearly exasperated, “I am single and not searching. Besides, I’m probably never gonna see your friend’s brother again, which is for the best. Not that I want to see him.” She paused when she saw Taylor give her a funny look. She put her hands on her waist and Taylor let her continue. “I’m a busy woman and I don’t have time for men, let alone boys.”
“We know Cynthia. I do business with her,” Taylor chuckled.
“Yes, and I don’t actually like her.”
“You don’t actually like a lot of people. You know I can make it possible. Just say the word and we’ll find a way to get you and Dozie to see each other again.”
“Jeez, thanks Taylor, but I’m not interested.”
“Okay,” Taylor let her be, for now. She stood to go to her room and Tegan followed her.
“And how was your day? Did you and Kachi meet?” Tegan asked about Taylor’s fiancée with a mischievous smile.
Taylor laughed, “yeah I saw Kachi. He’s great and he asked of you. You guys need to talk, I can’t continue to be the messenger.”
“Fine, I’ll call the dude, stop whining,” Tegan said. “Wedding plans on our minds. I’ll leave you to dream of your boo.”
Taylor laughed at Tegan as she left her room. 

Tegan was interrupted from her thoughts by a knock on her door.
“Come in,” she said, sipping her coffee.
It was her assistant, Lola.
 “Good morning, T-boss.”
“Good morning, Lola,” Tegan replied, with a smile. It always made her cheerful when they called her T-boss.
“The new writing interns have resumed,” Lola said, checking that of the list in a notebook she carried, “they are already in the waiting room. Jack is supposed to address them but he’ll be running late. So, you’ll be addressing them instead. Then you have a meeting at 2pm with our sponsors. You also have a spa treatment at 4pm.” Lola wrinkled her nose at that, her boss obviously didn’t book such appointment.
“Spa what?” Tegan asked.
Lola sighed, “okay, I booked the appointment myself, you deserve a treat.”
Tegan laughed, “thanks Lola, but I can’t have a spa treatment on a bloody Monday. Cancel it.”
Lola winced, “okay, I'll reschedule it for this Saturday then.”
Tegan didn’t feel like arguing with Lola. Let her think she’d leave her house on Saturday if she didn’t have a show to attend. She dropped her cup of coffee on the coffee table and smoothed her dress.
“Let’s go meet our interns first.”

                                                                                                  ***
“How much longer do we have to wait? I’m getting nervous,” Kunle said to Dozie.
 Dozie wondered why his new acquaintance and soon to be colleague was nervous. He had already gotten the internship, all he had to do was work hard to become a permanent staff. He looked at his watch, 8:15am. It was still early, for Nigerians. They were supposed to be addressed at 8am. He watched Kunle rub his palms up and down his laps. If his palms were sweaty, he was probably wetting his black trouser. He doubted though, the room was air-conditioned.
Before he could reply Kunle, someone else did.
“Guy, calm down, it’s just normal African time,” Shade was the other intern. She was dark and lovely. She wore a white blouse that was tucked into a pencil black skirt. She used a pair of flat black shoes to match her dress. Her hair was a simple black wig that stopped at her chin. She kept stealing glances at him since they arrived. She obviously found her opportunity to speak and took it. Dozie was flattered by the female attention but he wasn’t going to flirt with a colleague.

His thoughts were interrupted when the door opened and two ladies walked in. He didn’t know one, but he knew the other. There was no way in hell he’d forget that face. She looked great in the red gown. He thought she’d look great in anything she wore. A song by Taio Cruz and Pitbull found its way to his mind immediately, “There she goes”. God knew that was what fit the scene perfectly. She was looking like a star and her body was definitely shaped like a rock guitar. Her hair was packed in a bun and not tousled. She had little make-up on that accentuated her facial features. Her lips were red and full. She looked like a goddess and he was definitely charmed. It took everything in him to cut his gaze from her.

The other lady wore a black pair of corporate trousers and a pink chiffon shirt. She wasn’t bad looking either.

“Good morning everyone, welcome to Fashion Today. My name is Tegan Maduka, you can call me T-boss. I’m one of the editors and you’ll be working with some of the writers more than the editors. I’m here because I’d like to know you all myself before handing you to the person who will be in charge of you.”

She had control, he’d give her that, for even when she locked eyes with him, she didn’t flinch. She didn’t act like she knew him either. He quickly dismissed the idea of not flirting with a colleague. Given, Tegan wasn’t a colleague, she was his boss. He didn’t care.
“This is Lola Craig,” she said, introducing the other lady, “she is my assistant and she’ll tell you more about Fashion Today, your dos and don’ts. I’ve introduced myself, I’d like to meet you.” Tegan continued.
“I’m Kunle Ajayi.”
“I’m Folashade Coker.”
“I’m Chidozie Agu, but you can call me Dozie.”
“It’s nice to meet you all. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go. Lola is here to help you till your direct head, Jack, arrives. Welcome to Fashion Today once again.” Tegan left them in the waiting room.

Dozie had the pleasure of locking eyes with her again when he introduced himself, she didn’t as much as blink. Well, he just got more attracted to her. He watched her leave and he had other ideas of spending his Monday, but those ideas disappeared when Lola started addressing them.


Tegan took deep breaths as she walked to her office. She yanked the door open and banged it shut immediately she entered her office. She was moving to her desk when she remembered to lock the door. She didn’t need to be disturbed at the moment.
 Great, he was here. The gorgeous young man she had embarrassed herself in front of was here. The guy she vowed she’d never see again was here. Here, in her territory. And he was here to stay. How the hell is he one of the interns? She thought as she paced. He still had that smugness.
“You can call me Dozie,” she scoffed, mimicking him. “Who asked him to give us a short form of his name? Just be doing like what I don’t know.”
Jack was in charge of the interviews and employment, that’s why she hadn’t met him. What was she going to do? She had to call Taylor. She had to talk to someone. She took out her phone from her bag.
“He’s here,” she said as soon as Taylor picked.
“Hi dear sister. Who’s here, I mean there?” Taylor was almost confused.
“Dozie, he’s one of the writing interns at the office. I’m screwed.” Tegan was pacing.
“Woah, are you serious? Cynthia didn’t tell me her brother would be working at Fashion Today. But, hol'up love, why are you screwed? You said you didn’t care about him, right? Just keep living like he doesn’t exist.” Taylor was smiling to herself.
“You’re right, I don’t care about him. I’m even his boss,” Tegan stopped pacing and felt better.
“Yeah, you’re the boss.” Taylor bumped her fist in the air.
“Why does it feel like you’re bumping your fist in the air?”
Taylor stopped bumping her fist. “No, I’m not bumping my fist. Can you get off my phone. If you’re not working, I have work to do.”
Tegan laughed, “Thanks sis, you’re the best.” She hung up.
 She told herself that she didn’t care that Dozie was here and that she would avoid him no matter what. With that, she went back to work.
Taylor on the other hand was smiling as she sketched new designs. Her sister had no idea that she might actually like this Dozie guy. It was about time Tegan Maduka got interested in something else other than work.

Dozie listened as Lola explained things to them and took them on a tour of the editing/writing area of Fashion Today and the other areas. He was a fast learner. He took in all the offices. He took in Tegan’s office also. She finally brought them to where they would be working from. He’d have to share the space with the interns as they all had cubicles. He settled at his desk and scanned the environment again. Tegan’s office was in his line of vision. He thought that it was going to be an advantage for him. He actually didn’t know what he wanted to do, yet. All he knew was that he liked seeing her pretty face. 
Working at Fashion Today wasn’t going to be boring. He had Cynthia to thank for that, or not. He remembered his conversation with her on Saturday after the errand. She had forgotten to mention that Tegan worked in the office he was going to be interning in.

“Did you meet Taylor?” she asked him as soon as he stepped into the house.
Their home at Ajao estate was a simple duplex with 5 rooms. They lived with their parents.
“No. I—"
“Ahan, if you didn’t meet Taylor, where are my fabrics?”
“Would you let me finish talking first?”
“Sorry sir. Finish talking.”
“I didn’t meet Taylor, I met Tegan. I left the fabrics with her.”
“Oh,” Cynthia rolled her eyes in disgust, “her.”
“What’s that? What do you mean by ‘her’?” Dozie fixed his eyes on his sister.
“Nothing. Mind your business.” She hissed and left him alone in the living room.
He shrugged and went upstairs to his room.
Thinking of it now, he put the pieces together. Cynthia didn’t forget to mention that Tegan worked in Fashion Today. She just didn’t want to say it cos she didn’t like Tegan, for some reason. He wanted to believe he didn’t care about whatever issues they had, but he did. He’d have to find out what it was.
Omo guy, this place is Legit.” Kunle brought him back to the present.
“I know right,” Dozie affirmed, smiling.
“Yes oh. I’m in love with T-boss already. She’s automatically my role model. Hardworking, hot, beautiful and a boss lady,” Shade chipped into the conversation.
Dozie didn’t have to affirm that. Anyone around Tegan would be consumed by her aura.
He let his eyes drift to her office. He wondered what she was doing behind the door. Probably working, which he should be doing if he wanted to become a permanent staff. 
Jack, their direct contact arrived and handed them tasks to do. Let the journey begin, he thought.


Dozie got home at about 7pm. His sister’s fabric store that was situated outside their house, courtesy of his parents was locked. She had already closed for the day. He passed through the gate and walked to the door, humming. His parents' cars were parked in the compound, so was his sister’s, which meant everyone was home. The house stood tall in the evening sky. He could see the moon, rising slowly. The evening sky was beautiful, streaked with bits of orange and red. He got to the black steel doors and thought of the cold shower he would have, his dinner, a poem about the evening sky he would write and his bed. 

“Look who’s home,” his mum said, as soon as he opened the door. She was sitting in the living room, watching something on the TV.
“Good evening, Mama bear.” He walked to her, dropped his bag on the floor gave her a big hug, before dropping beside her.
“Good evening, my dear. How was your first day?”
Dozie smiled when he remembered the best part of his day, seeing Tegan.
“My day was great. I look forward to working there.”
“That’s good. You should thank your sister then.”
“I should thank her. Where’s she and dad?”
“She should be in her room. Your dad too. Dinner in 15 minutes.”
“Yes mama,” he kissed her forehead and headed up the stairs.
His room was beside Cynthia’s, so he knocked on her door before going to his.
“Who is it?” Cynthia called from inside.
“Your brother,” he replied.
“Come in.”
Dozie opened the door and walked in. Her room always looked tidy and neat. She was on her bed working on her laptop. The bed was covered with a white bedsheet. He’d never understand Cynthia’s obsession of white. Even her curtains were white. Thankfully, the walls were purple. 
“How was your day?” she asked, not taking her eyes off the screen.
“My day was great. Thanks for asking.” Dozie sat at the edge of her bed. “How was yours?
“Splendid. I had wonderful sales and a lot of orders. Why are you sitting on my bed without taking a shower?”
“Cynthia abeg, my trouser won’t stain your immaculate bed sheet.”
She just rolled her eyes at him and went back to tapping her keypad.
Dozie looked at her, thought for a while before he spoke again.
“You know, I met Tegan Maduka on Saturday.”
“Okay,” Cynthia replied nonchalantly.
“And I also saw her today. At Fashion Today. You didn’t tell me she worked there.”
“I didn’t think it was important.”
Dozie was appalled. He opened his eyes wide at her careless statement.
“You didn’t,” he paused a bit, “you didn’t think it was important to tell me that I had already met my boss? Or you didn’t know that she not only works at Fashion Today, she’s an editor. I work under someone who works under someone that works under her!”
“Dozie, don’t raise your voice at me,” Cynthia said, looking up at him now, “so what if you met her on Saturday? Now you know you work with her. Abeg, abeg. Let the matter rest.”
“I know you, Cynthia. You’re a sucker for details. You knew all these but somehow you didn’t say anything. You don’t seem to like her very much, do you?”
“You know what, little brother, I’ve entertained you enough. Get out of my room before you get me angry.” She shot daggers at him with her eyes.
Okay, sensitive subject, he thought. He can’t find out what she has against Tegan today. He stood and walked to the door. At the door, he couldn’t help himself.
“I think Tegan is actually great. I look forward to working with her. Thanks for getting me the internship.”
He quickly ran out the door as Cynthia sent one of her pillows flying straight at him. He laughed as he heard her cursing. He went to his room to change and take a shower. He did look forward to working with Tegan.



Comments

  1. "She was looking like a star and her body was definitely shaped like a rock guitar"


    Rapper aye!

    Word of the week: accentuated ❤️🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehehe. I can't wait for the coming drama. Need to know what the rift is between cynthia and tegan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about y'all but I already want to be Dozie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already love tegan and Dozie

    ReplyDelete
  5. "doing like something I don't know" I laughed at that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wahala for people like me wey no be writers o, how we go meet our Tegan na?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guys... your comments are botg lovely and hilarious.
    Thanks for reading again😘

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed alongside Dozie. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The story is getting more interesting...I can perceive love in the air

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Let the love story begin. I am so loving this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II