Tegan 5

 

Photo from Google: Ikeja City Mall

Tegan: Loved one

As far as dates went, or hangouts, this one was going pretty well. They had arrived early for the movie. Tegan had chosen the movie, Hobbs and Shaw. It was action filled and a spin off from the popular Fast and Furious franchise. She wasn’t expecting romance, better not to watch something romantic with him. As she ate her popcorn, she enjoyed every part of the movie. She could tell that Dozie was enjoying it to because he “ohhed” and “awwed”. 

During the course of the movie, she could feel the attraction between Hobbs and Shaw's sister. Yes, finally they kissed. It satisfied her. She stole a glance at Dozie. He looked so picturesque beside her in the dark. Taylor was right, he did look like a snack. She shook her head, as if to shake off the thoughts from her mind. She had to keep this as simple as possible, for both their sakes.
The movie ended, with a sequel definitely looming. They walked out of the cinemas and talked about the movie. 

“I really loved it,” Dozie said. They took the escalator down.
“Yeah, it was a great movie. You should thank me for choosing it,” Tegan bragged. Dozie was behind her.
“Thank you, loved one,” he whispered into her ears.
She felt goosebumps threatening to rise on her skin. He was making her nervous. She imagined kissing him as Shaw's sister had kissed Hobbs and almost slapped herself for having those thoughts.
They got to the ground floor and Dozie checked his watch. It was about 7:30pm. There was still enough time to spend with her.
“I remembered you saying you would take ice cream with your sister if I didn’t call you. Would you like some ice cream?”
“Who says no to ice cream?”

He smiled and put his arm around her, leading her to the Cold stone stall in the mall. They placed their orders and took their cups to a table they found. The mall was usually filled up during the weekends. Dozie thought he’d take her somewhere less crowded when next he took her out. And then it would be a proper date, not a hangout. They sat opposite each other.



“So, tell me something I don’t know about you, Tegan.”
She scooped some ice cream, savored it with her eyes closed, swallowed, before she spoke.
“My Igbo name is Nneoma. And only members of my family call me that. Well, Taylor calls me Nneoma when she wants to really tease me.”
“Nneoma,” he said, testing the name, “it’s a nice name. I believe you’d reflect the meaning when you become a mother.”
“What if I won’t become a mother?” she asked, watching him closely.
“It still remains a beautiful name. Why don’t you use it?”
“It’s special to me. So, special people get to use it.”
“I hope I get to use it some day,” he smiled at her. “When you say family, is it just you, Taylor and your parents?”
“I have a younger brother, Tony. He’s still in the University.”
“Nice. I am the last one. Just Cynthia and I and she always reminds me she’s older.”
Tegan smirked, “of course she would.”
“Speaking of Cynthia, you aren’t her favourite fan. What happened between you two?”
“Why do you think something happened between us?”
“Because every time I bring her up, you change the subject. Same goes with her. Don’t you think I should know what the issue is?”
Tegan played with the spoon and the ice cream. She looked at him, then rested her back on the chair. “Okay, so, nothing really happened, at least on my end. Your sister doesn’t like me because the man she wanted didn’t like her. He liked me instead. Cynthia blamed, no, blames me for it.”
Dozie laughed, “what? Are you serious? That’s it? That’s why Cynthia doesn’t like you?” He laughed harder.
“How’s that funny?”
“Cos it’s a silly thing. A petty thing”
“I’m not the one carrying face because a guy chose another instead of me.”
Dozie stopped laughing, “right, it’s my sister. And as much as I want to say I’m surprised, I’m not. I love my sister, but she’s a nightmare.”
“Maybe she is, maybe she is not. Just imagine her knowing you are here with me,” she went back to taking her ice cream.
“And we’re not going to spoil this by talking about her. I’m sorry I brought it up.”
“It’s okay.”
“ Did you date the guy though? Isaac.”
“No. I don’t do much dating. I’m not enthusiastic about it too. Most times, I prefer my own company.”
“Hmm.” He remembered her dancing alone in her living room.
“Why don’t you tell me something I don’t know about you too.”
He gave a cocky smile, “if I didn’t know better I’d say you’re interested in me.” He scooped ice cream.
“Don’t be an idiot,” Tegan said.
“Okay, okay. I write.”
“Hello, you work for a magazine. As a writing intern. I know you write.”
“No, not that. I write poems and sometimes short stories. But mostly poems.”
“Really? So you’re some sort of Shakespeare or Wole Soyinka. What did you study?”
“English and Literary studies.”
“That’s fantastic. Here I was thinking you read Mass communication. Do you have something you wrote with you?”
He chuckled, nervously. “I do, but I don’t know if you like poems, much less mine.”
“May I see one?” she asked politely. 
He hesitated a bit before taking out his phone from his pocket. He scrolled through his documents and selected one. The one he wrote the day he started working at Fashion Today.
She took his phone from him and read the poem he titled “with you”:

When the gold rays of the sun dim…
When the white clouds turn a bit grey…
When afternoon lazily strolls into twilight…
And twilight turns the sky magical.
When the day’s events are recorded with ink.
And moments are relayed again, embedded in paper.
When the evening sky becomes tinted by the white light of the moon…
And the soft breeze rustles the leaves on the trees.
I imagine you’re here with me and I’m telling you everything and anything.
I imagine sitting with you as the wind plays with the hair on your head.
I imagine telling you about my day and wishing to spend the night with you.
I imagine holding your hands and kissing them.
I imagine the soft touch of my lips on yours.
I imagine being with you. Just you.
I imagine that my imaginations would be a reality.
And I believe they will be, pretty soon.
#Dozie.

“Wow, this is actually nice. I’m not used to poems, but I love this,” she said, handing him the phone. “Did you have anyone in mind when you wrote it?”
“I wrote it the day I started working with you.”
She didn’t want to believe he wrote it for her as he stared at her. She decided to change the subject. 
“What do you do with them?”
“With what?”
“With your poems. And stories.”
“Oh. I own a blog. I post most of my work there. Sometimes I do some freelance writing. Helps me get extra cash.”
“I’m actually impressed. You’re actually more than a pretty face.” 
“Well, thanks, boss.”
She laughed genuinely and his heart melted. All he wanted to do was make her laugh like this always.

They finished their ice cream and decided to take a walk around the mall. They passed pizza stalls, jewelry stalls, make-up stores, clothing stalls and lots of eateries. The mall had a lot of people, breezing in and out. Some girls stood, taking selfies. Some kept talking as the walked by.
“So, let’s try this. Tell me something or things you know about me,” Tegan said to him.
“That’s easy. I know you’re stubborn and really annoying,” he laughed when she stopped walking and frowned at him. “Relax, I’m just getting started. Come on, let’s keep walking.” He took her palm in his and she almost yanked her hand away. He held on to it and they started walking again.
“I know you’re beautiful and that you’re not just a pretty face too. You’re hardworking, intelligent and a goal getter. You’re an introvert who works in an extroverted place. Maybe you did that on purpose. You’re soft even though you tend to hide your emotions. You like movies. You have a twin sister. You love roses and ice cream and music. You have self control. And you’re a great dancer. I think you look great in red. Is it your favorite color?”
“I don’t have a favorite color. But red does make me look great. Do you have a favorite color?”
“I love blue. Anyway, we’re still talking about you. So did I do okay?”
She chuckled, “you did fine. I didn’t think you took note of some of these things.”
“I might not know much but I do want to know more, if you’d let me.”
She watched him through the corner of her eyes, “we’ll see about that.”
They walked out of the mall and Dozie booked an Uber that would take her home. The Uber came about 3 minutes later. She said she was fine going home alone, but he insisted he’d go with her.
“What do you know about me?” he asked her in the Uber.
“I know you’re obnoxious and you don’t take no for an answer. You’re good looking. You’re also smart. You’re talented. You go for things you like. You also give nice compliments. Maybe you’re a ladies' man.”
“A ladies' man. Hmmm. Why would you think that?”
“I’m not blind. I see you have your way with the ladies and one of them at the office already has the hots for you.”
He blushed, “are you talking about Shade?”
“Obviously.”
“How did you even notice that?”
“Like I said, I’m not blind.”
“Yeah, you’re not. Then you should know Shade really likes you too.”
“I know that. So did I do okay?”
“You did okay. I don’t take no for an answer. And when I like something, I go for it. I happen to like you very much. You know this.”
“Why do you like me?”
“What’s there not to like, darling? You’re beautiful, smart, hardworking. The things I know about you make me like you. Just imagine knowing more about you. I might just fall in love.”
“Slow down cowboy,” she laughed, “I have flaws too.”
“Everyone has flaws. It’s part of the package.” He brushed his thumb on her cheek and he felt her shudder at his touch. He kept his hands to himself and didn’t say anything the rest of the ride home. They arrived at her house and he ended the trip. He asked the Uber driver to wait  for him so he could walk her to the door. At the door, she took out her key from her bag and turned to face him.
“So, thank you for a good time. I wasn’t expecting to have fun, but I did.”
“I told you so.”
“Yeah, you did.” She smiled at him.
“Okay, let me be honest with you. I was a bit scared you’d not like the hangout.”
She laughed, “really?”
“Yeah. And I would have died if you were bored. I saw a part of you I haven’t seen before and I want to keep seeing her. The Tegan that is free and likes ice cream. The Tegan who is comfortable and likes fun.”
“Maybe you’ll see her more often.”
The silence that followed was louder than his heartbeat. He stepped closer to her and took her face in his hands.
“I said I was going to back off if you didn’t have a good time. But you did.”
She looked him in the eyes and only swallowed.
“I want you to know that I don’t plan to back off.”
“Okay,” she managed to say.
 “May I kiss you?”

When she only nodded, he took her mouth, slowly. She had her taste, sweet and lovely, mixed with the vanilla and chocolate flavors of the ice cream she had taken earlier. He savored her mouth, nibbled her lower lip. When she whimpered, it undid him. He teased her lower lip with his tongue and she parted them for him. His tongue sought hers and they collided with a soft fire. She ran her fingers through his hair, she needed to feel something. He held on to her, like an anchor, for a ship, before he sunk deep. He didn’t increase the pace of the kiss, he wanted to enjoy every taste of her.

He finally broke contact and ran his hand down her back before he stepped away from her. She stayed where she was, glued to the ground.
“Go in, Tegan.” He put his hand in his pockets.
“Mhmm,” she muttered. She opened her door and went inside.
He smiled, a smile of victory and walked back to the Uber. Date 1 made too much sense. He couldn’t remember the last time he actually cared so much about a girl. Tegan made him giddy, made him want to be better. She made him happy. He knew he liked her more than he did before the date.

Tegan opened her door, stepped inside the house and rested her back on the door. She had to catch her breath. When last had she been kissed? She couldn’t remember, but she could remember kisses. And no one had kissed her the way Dozie had just kissed her. Her legs still felt like jelly and she was sure the rumbling in her belly was as a result of butterflies. Her brain was temporarily not functioning. She didn’t know when she touched her fingers to her lips and smiled to herself. She’d do anything to be kissed like that again. She’d do anything for Dozie to kiss her again. She basked in the euphoria. How would it feel to be constantly in his hands and…

“Okay, you’re definitely in another world,” Taylor said, arms folded.
Taylor’s statement snapped her out of her revelry.
“How long have you been there?” She asked Taylor.
“Since you opened the door and stayed glued to it. I’d say I’ve been here long enough. You didn’t even notice me.”
“Whatever,” she brushed past Taylor who continued teasing her. She went to the living room and plopped on the cushion.
“I want details. I want to know everything that happened,” Taylor said, sitting beside her.
“What makes you think something happened?”
“I saw the duration of the movie. It wasn’t 4 hours. Do you know what time it is? Of course something happened.”
Tegan looked at her watch. “Oh wow, it’s past 9.”
“Yes, so spill.”
“Well…
 “Nneoma. Why are you doing this na?”
She laughed hard, “relax Tay. So, we saw the movie. It was really nice. Then there was ice cream and walks and talks and do you know he writes? Poems and stories and I believe he wrote one poem for me. Then on the ride home, we talk more and I could see the sparks around us and…”
“And?”
“And finally the evening was coming to an end and I was sad. Anyway, he walked me to the door. He took my face in his hands,” she giggled. “He just stood there, looking all handsome and dangerous under the dark sky and asked me if he could kiss me.”
“Oh my gosh! This is like one of those Mexican soap operas,” Taylor giggled too. “So, you told him he could kiss you right?”
“That’s the thing, I couldn’t speak. All the words vanished from my mind. I was there and I wasn’t there. I simply nodded because I couldn’t trust myself to speak. And he just kissed me. Damn, Tay! I’ve never been kissed like that. It was slow and sweet and every bone in my body turned to fluid. I was floating, Tay. I was… Why are you staring at me like that?”
“Look at you excited about a boy. The last time this happened was, like, secondary school. And here you are, glowing because of a kiss.”
“I’m going to stop talking now.”
“Please don’t,” Taylor laughed, “don’t stop talking. You’re happy. I like seeing you happy and Dozie makes you happy, you gotta admit.”
She sighed, “he does make me happy. He knows what to say, when to say it. I like that he doesn’t give up easily. And, yes, I do like him. More than I had imagined.”
“I thought this was just a hangout,” Taylor smirked.
“Tay…”
“I thought you didn’t want him to get the wrong idea.”
“Tay—”
“I thought you just wanted to get him off your case.”
“Taylor! I get it. I didn’t want to admit I liked him. I was just being cautious and professional. Me enjoying the date and the kiss doesn’t change the fact that I’m still his boss, that I’m older and let’s not forget, that he's Cynthia’s brother.”
“So, what are you going to do?”
Tegan had to force her brain to start working again. “I don’t know. I’ll stay professional at work and we’ll see how everything goes.” Her phone beeped and she opened the text. She smiled as she read it.
“Okay, read it out. I know it’s from lover boy,” Taylor said.
“It’s a message for me and I’m not supposed to read it out, but, I’d just read it anyway,” Tegan laughed as Taylor rolled her eyes.
      “ Every moment spent with you is magical. I enjoyed being with you and I look forward to more moments. May angels be with you as you sleep. Sweet dreams, darling.” 

She put the phone on her chest and rested her back on the chair. 
“Awwn, how lovely. Reminds me of when Kachi was still wooing me.”
“Oh please, allow me to enjoy this moment alone,” Tegan scoffed at Taylor.
“Ndo Nneoma.” Taylor swallowed her laugh.
“Now, if you would excuse me, I’m going to bed to have sweet dreams.” She stood and sashayed to her room, humming to herself.
“Let’s say night prayer before you’ll have bad dreams oh,” Taylor followed her. Love was something one couldn’t control. Her sister was going towards that direction, even though she didn’t know it. She hoped she won’t hurt too much.

Tegan hated Mondays, but this Monday felt different. She woke up ecstatic. Her dreams featured a very sweet guy. She didn’t feel drawing eyebrows were exhausting. She was still floating in her milky way in the morning traffic. She jammed to songs to increase her mirthful feeling. She got to work at about 7:45am, despite the traffic. She wore a red skirt that stopped slightly below her knee. It had two slits in front and a zip at the back. The slits were on the right and left side. She wore a black blouse, which had nets as the hands. 

She wore her favorite black stilettos with red bottom heels and carried a Louis Vuitton black hand bag. She felt beautiful, as usual, but today, she felt extra beautiful. On her stride to her office, she nodded to greetings, smiled to people, greeted others. She opened her door, dumped her bag on her desk and sat on her chair. She forgot about coffee. She closed her eyes and tried to replay every moment of the previous day. She wanted to hold on to it as long as possible. A knock on the door distracted her, she opened her eyes and asked whoever it was to come in.

“Good morning, T-boss,” Lola said, walking into the office.
“Good morning, Lola. How are you doing?” Tegan asked, arranging her desk.
“I’m doing okay. You on the other hand seem to be doing great.”
“Really? You can tell?” Tegan smiled.
Lola sat on one of the chairs opposite Tegan. “Yes, I can tell. You’re glowing, not that you don’t usually glow, but it’s different. You’re even smiling for no reason. I know for a fact you hate Mondays, but here you are, flashing your 32. And you look really hot in that blouse. Your makeup is on point and I told you before I could rob you just because of your wig.”
Tegan laughed, “Lola, please, don’t crack me open with laughter.”
“I’m serious. What’s the secret?”
“Well, I had a pretty good weekend, that’s all. I went shopping with my sister on Saturday for her wedding. It’s really soon. She’s gonna design the dress for the bridal train, you know na. Then I saw a movie yesterday in the cinemas. I’m more of the sit-at-home-and-watch-movies type, but yesterday’s experience was really great.” There was no way she was telling Lola the height of her weekend was because of Dozie. At least not now.
“Awwn, that’s nice. I’m personally looking forward to the wedding. Bad ass designer weds the architect. Both of them will just be designing plenty things together.”
That made both of them laugh really hard.
“Enough of the weekend tales. What are we doing today?” Tegan asked, turning on her computer.
“More pitches coming in for the numerous interviews. You’d have to go through them first before our other ogas. Then, the meeting with  Kyrian Oladimeji—”
“Oh shit. I forgot about that,” Tegan closed her eyes. When she opened it, Lola was smiling mischievously.
“What?”
“Come on, T-boss. We both know Kyrian likes you. And you’re having a meeting with him today.”
“So? What we have is a professional relationship. He’s a client, I want to keep it that way.” She turned on her computer.
Lola pouted. She finished reading Tegan’s schedule and excused herself.
About an hour later, there was a knock on Tegan’s door again.
“Come in,” she said, looking at a file.
“Good morning, boss,” Dozie said.
The file she held fell off her hand.
“Err, hi, good morning. Uhm, what’s up?” She picked up the file. Why couldn’t she still construct sentences without stuttering around him? 
He smiled at her, “I was wondering if you’d look at this for me.” He handed her another file. “It’s the article you asked us to write on shoes.” 
“Yeah, I, err…” get a grip on yourself, Tegan. “I’ll go through them. Dozie, we need to talk.”
“I’m all ears,” he folded his arms.
“Yesterday was really great. I just want to ask that we stay professional at work and that my intention of the hangout staying between us is still valid.”
“Even the kiss?”
That sent her blood boiling, but she said firmly, “Dozie.”
“Sure. I'll be professional.”
She smiled, “thank you. I’ll see you around then.”
“Yeah, although I wanted to ask—”
“He’s here. Kyrian is here,” Lola bolted into the office and interrupted whatever Dozie was about to say.
“Lola, knock much?” Tegan scowled.
“I’m sorry. Forgive me,” Lola apologized, “but you have to get ready for the meeting.”
“Yeah, whatever.” Tegan got out another file from the stack of files on her desk.
“Dozie, what are you still doing here? You have to leave now,” Lola said to Dozie who was still standing, confused.
“There was something you were saying before Lola rudely interrupted.” Tegan rolled her eyes at Lola.
Lola averted her eyes elsewhere and scratched a sudden itch on her neck.
“It’s okay. It can wait. Go hold your meeting,” Dozie left them in the office as Lola kept telling Tegan what she needed for the meeting.
He walked to his desk and wondered who Kyrian Oladimeji was and why Lola was so nervous that he was around. He’d find out soon enough, he had work to do.


Please I want to lick ice cream 😋
In case you're led by the spirit, you could send me ice cream money😁
0773128444
Access bank
Ebube Anochili
Thank you and God bless you as you help me🤗





Comments

  1. And the love story continues, Dozie is bold sha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please Gerard and Joseph send my ice cream money na😪

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Omo! I love this! Thunder fire writer's block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love this chapter. Love sweet shaaa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. What a date! Livportals is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The power of ice cream😂. Nice story Liv, most of us now know ice cream makes the mouth taste better😉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II