Tegan 9

 

Photo from Google: somewhere in the Maldives

Tegan: beautiful

“I can’t believe you kept this to yourself for three weeks, Tegan Maduka!” Taylor exclaimed, clearly exasperated. They were sitting on Taylor’s bed, in her old room, in the house they had both shared. Some of her things were still in the house. She hadn’t been there since the wedding because she had gone on her honeymoon.
“It’s not a big deal. People break up all the time,” Tegan replied nonchalantly.
“Well, you’re not people. You’re my twin sister and I feel like I should have been there for you.”
“Mrs. Udezue, you were on your honeymoon, remember,” Tegan reminded her, “in the Maldives.”
“I was only a phone call or a WhatsApp message away, Tee!” Taylor scolded.
“I didn’t want to bother you with my issues.” Tegan justified her actions.
Taylor took in a deep breath, before she spoke again. “You’ve always been good at hiding your feelings. And the only reason you did get away with this for so long is because I wasn’t with you.”
“Newsflash baby, you don’t live here anymore. I’m going to be getting away with a lot of things.”
“You.. pfft. Ugh.”
Tegan smirked at her sister’s lack of words.
“You could have stayed home, instead of coming back here—”
“But this is home.”
“You know what I’m talking about. At least, Tony is around, he would have distracted you. Even mommy would have been the best distraction.”
“Work distracted me.”
“Where you see him all the time. Really, Tee?”
“Okay, I’ll admit seeing him there and not being able to talk to him except when extremely necessary is heartbreaking. But, I’m fine. It was bound to happen. Better now, when our feelings aren’t deep, than later.”
“You could have fooled me with that,” Taylor inspected her nails.
“Ok. You’re fluent in sarcasm. Yes, my feelings for him were deep. But, as I said, I’m fine. Stop treating me like an invalid.” Tegan became defensive.
“Ahh! I’m going to kill Cynthia. Tony and I will pay her a visit. I’ll wring her neck,” she demonstrated strangling someone, “she’s a monster.”
“And she’s definitely not worth it, Tay. You’re not going to any Nigerian prison because of some unfortunate person. Let her have her video. I have already started talking with past clients. My days at Fashion Today are numbered.”
“My baby, I’m so sorry you have had to go through this alone,” Taylor hugged her sister. “You’ll get a better job and we’ll kick Cynthia’s butt.”
“Exactly. I’ll still give her a piece of mind. When all this is over.”
“Are you sure you’re okay? You don’t need anything? I could stay with you and—”
“Madam, you’re married. Stay with your husband, biko,” Tegan laughed. “On a serious note.”
“How’s Dozie? Okay, wrong question,” Taylor quickly added when Tegan raised her eyebrow at her. “There’s no way you’d know how heartbroken he is.”
Tegan sighed, “you know I didn’t have a choice. Ending things was the best thing to do.”
“I know, baby. I know.” Taylor rubbed Tegan’s upper arm. She thought her sister needed to heal. Maybe she’d have a chat with Dozie later.
“Enough of me. Are you going to give me the juicy details about the Maldives?” Tegan giggled.
“Definitely. The Maldives is beautiful. Perfectly blue waters and services that are top notch. The air alone is amazing. And the skies. The best part was being able to enjoy it with Kachi. He is so wonderful. Making love in the blue waters is another experience entirely. I have to tell you that. Gosh!”
“Taylor! You’re a hoe!” Tegan laughed.
“Yes ma’am. Guilty as charged. I’m Kachi’s hoe.” Taylor winked at her sister.
They talked more about the honeymoon. About Lagos and their parents. Afterwards, Tegan helped Taylor pack the rest of her things and load them in the car. 
“You’re sure you’ll be fine all by yourself?” Taylor asked, standing beside the driver’s side of her car.
“I’ve been here by myself since you left, dear.”
“Yeah, that’s because I didn’t know what was going on.”
“Taylor. Go home. Stop worrying about me.”
“Ok. I’m going. If you feel lonely just call me. You can come stay with us or you can go home. Just promise me you’ll call if you feel anything but happy.”
“I promise, Taylor. You sound more authoritative now that you’re married.” Tegan rolled her eyes and opened the car door for her.
Taylor laughed, “It comes with the title. Bye Sis.” She kissed her cheek and entered her car.

Taylor drove off and left Tegan alone. Barely an hour after Taylor left, the silence was overbearing for Tegan. She checked the time, it was  about past 8pm. She used to love Saturdays. She thanked God when NEPA decided to restore power. Watching TV was a good distraction, but she soon got bored of it too. She thought she was fine. Talking about the breakup made the wound fresh. 
She remembered that day, how sad Dozie had looked. She remembered going to the office that week, how she had avoided him. How he didn’t make any attempt to talk to her. She felt like she was walking on thin ice. Not only was her heart broken, she was worried about her reputation at the office. She was worried about her career. She didn’t trust Cynthia. What stopped her from just sending the so called video she had and just ruining her career. That thought made her start her search for another job.

Kyrian had also taken her out a few times. She had made it clear to him that she didn’t want a romantic relationship with him. She preferred him as a friend, which she realized, he was good at. He spoiled her with gifts and according to him, he was fine just being friends with her. He had noticed her aloofness too and had asked if everything was fine with her. She couldn’t tell him just yet what was going on, but she did tell him she needed another job. Maybe he could help her get something. She was grateful for his kind words and care.
She turned off the TV and decided to try something in the kitchen. She missed Taylor’s cooking. Part of her loathed Kachi for being the one enjoying Taylor’s food. She decided to fry plantain and eggs. That would be a nice dinner.
After she had finished eating and was getting ready for bed, her phone rang. Checking the caller ID, she smiled and picked.
“Hello, Kyrian,” she sat on her bed. Putting her left foot on her right knee, she rubbed her toes.
“Hi, Tegan. I’m sorry I’m calling this late,” Kyrian apologized. “I hope you weren’t already in bed.”
“It’s fine. I’m not yet asleep. What’s up?”
“I thought maybe I could indulge you tomorrow. There’s a function I’d be attending. Somewhere on the island. It’s a birthday party. Maybe we could talk about your new job.”
“What?” Tegan stopped rubbing her toes and jumped up.
“Yeah, you heard me. I made some calls and someone really likes you and your work.”
“Kyrian, I’m so grateful. You have no idea how this makes me feel. Thank you so much. I’ll be ready tomorrow. What time?”
“I’ll pick you up at 12. That ok by you?”
“12 is great. Thanks again.” She swallowed her tears of joy.
“You’re welcome. See you tomorrow. Have a good night.”
“Good night!” She hung up and threw herself on her bed. Everything would be fine. She sent up a prayer of thanks to God before drifting into sleep.
                                                                                                   ***
“Relax, Doz man. I'm surprised you’re not even the least bit excited about this party,” Andy said to Dozie as they walked into the Mansion at Osbourne’s Estate, Ikoyi.
“Why should I be excited about it?” Dozie asked.
“Because it’s an island event. Wealthy men everywhere. You could make contacts. Plus, lots of fresh babes.” Andy hit Dozie on his chest, which of course was protected by Dozie’s Ralph Lauren polo.
“Guy, no dey dirty my white,” Dozie took Andy’s hand away. “You’re right about the contacts. That’s basically what I need. I’m not interested in the women.”
“Which is another surprise.” They got inside the compound and headed straight for the garden, which was behind the white Mansion. Music filled the air as they sashayed through the place. Men and women, young and old were either coming from the garden, the house or heading for it. “This about your beautiful boss who stole your heart and shattered it.”
“She didn’t shatter it,” Dozie tried to defend Tegan. “And technically, I met her before the office.”
“Yeah, you told me that. She’s still your boss. But, didn’t she break up with?” Andy questioned him.
“Well, yes she did—”
“Aha! She broke your heart.” Andy finished.
“It’s complicated, Andy. She had no choice at the moment. It was the best thing for her.” Dozie sighed. They had arrived at the large garden. He saw a waiter, dressed in white, with a tray and flutes of champagne resting on it. He took one as the waiter passed by him and downed the contents.
“You’ve been saying it’s complicated since you told me about the break up, but you haven’t explained it to me.”
Dozie wondered how he’d tell Andy that his sister was blackmailing the woman he loved. Because, yes, he did love Tegan. His sister had an incriminating video that could ruin his ex girlfriend’s life and ending things with him was the best thing to do. At the moment. How would he explain that to him?
“You know what? Doz man. Whatever this is, I know you’ll tell me when you can. It would definitely have something to do with you both working together. But right now, there are a lot of fishes swimming in this ocean.” He turned Dozie around to show him the pretty women in the party. “You gotta snap out of your misery and enjoy this party.”
“How are you related to the celebrant, again?” Dozie asked his friend who was staring at a lady walking past them.
“Oh, I do some graphic designs for the son. The son invited me. I invited you. Everyone’s happy. I have to go talk to that chick. Later, loser.”
Dozie laughed as Andy went after the lady. He found a table and a chair and sat down. The table had lots of drinks and small chops. He helped himself with some chops and juice. Enjoying his snacks, he admired the scenery. The garden was large and filled with guests, dressed in different white outfits. It was an all white party. The rich really liked white parties. The grass was very green. The gardner must have a degree in horticulture. The flowers were also beautiful, scattered at different angles to make the place beautiful. The atmosphere smelled of sumptuous meals and flowers. Of lilies and dahlias. Of lavender and roses.
Roses.
Of Tegan. 
He could smell her. It had nothing to do with the roses in the garden. He could smell her perfume. It was distinct. He sat upright and looked around. Maybe someone else had her perfume, but he had to be sure. He dropped the paper plate of the leftover chops on the table, wiped his palm with the serviette on the table and stood. He glanced around, before taking a few steps backwards. 
He began to wonder why he was bothered if she was there in the first place. They hadn’t said much to each other since the breakup. He turned a left and noticed an elderly man, sitting with an elderly woman too. They were surrounded by a few people, greeting or talking. Must be the celebrant, he thought. 

A few inches away from the scene, was Tegan. She was dressed in a white jumpsuit. Her hair was a beautiful short blonde wig. Hung on her shoulder was the white bag she had carried the day he took her to the mall. She wore a pair of red shoes that  were almost lost in the trousers of the jump suit. She had a flute of champagne in her hand. He watched her take a sip of it and noticed her lips were painted a deep red. He missed kissing her. She looked beautiful. 
Photo: Lilian Isih (a friend and photographer)


He thought about going to talk to her. What would he say? He shook off the thoughts and was about to walk up to her when he spotted someone else walk up to her. He the flute from her and placed it on the nearest table before taking her hand and leading her to the celebrant.
Kyrian.
What on Earth was he doing with her? His insides recoiled and he clenched his fist.
“Isn’t that Tegan?” 
Dozie spun to his left and found Andy standing beside him, a beer in his hand. As he wanted to take a swig, Dozie snatched the bottle from him and took a gulp.
“I’ll take that as a yes.” Andy said, looking at Dozie who had turned back to look at the beautiful woman in the jumpsuit. “I see why you’re so smitten. Pictures don’t do justice to her. Damn, she’s hot!”
“Tell me something I don’t know,” Dozie mumbled.
“Ok. Who’s the guy with her?”
“I don’t care about the guy with her, Andy.”
“Clearly. You look like a thousand match sticks set on fire.” Andy took his beer from Dozie. “Are you going to talk to her?”
“Where’s your friend? The celebrant’s son?” Dozie asked instead.
“Oh, he’s somewhere around. I’ve spoken to him.”
“Don’t you want to be introduced to his father?” Dozie glared at his friend.
“Of course I do.”
“Find your friend. Let him introduce us. Maybe I’ll talk to Tegan afterwards.”


“Baba, happy birthday sir!” Kyrian said to the old man, sitting with his wife. “Mommy, ekasan.”
“Ahh, Omo Oladimeji. Thank you oh!” Chief Ladipo smiled at him. 
Ese omo daada.” Mrs. Ladipo said.
“Good afternoon, sir. Good afternoon, ma. Happy birthday, sir,” Tegan, who was beside Kyrian added. “Nice party you have here.”
“Thank you, young lady. It’s good to finally meet you in person, Miss Maduka.” Chief Ladipo stuck out his hand and shook Tegan’s hand. He told his wife who Tegan was and the woman smiled at her.
“Nice to finally meet you too, sir.” Tegan beamed.
 Kyrian had told her on their way here that it was Chief Ladipo that wanted to offer her a job. Chief Ladipo was the founder of Glamour, another top fashion magazine in Nigeria. She had screamed. Working with Glamour would be much better than working with Fashion Today. It would be a stepping stone for her because Glamour wasn’t only based in Nigeria, it had branches in some African countries. She wanted to impress the man. First, she had to tell Kyrian about her intending scandal. And she did. The reason she needed another job. It was better to be honest with him. If he didn’t want anything to do with her and decided she wasn’t fit for Glamour, it was better she knew quickly without her hopes rising.
“We don’t always choose who we love. It’s not your fault that you fell for your junior colleague. I would have loved it if it were me, but we’re passed that now. It’s not your fault his sister is a nightmare. I don’t see how any of this has affected your work. I don’t think Chief would mind too, but we won’t tell him. We’ll deal with it ourselves.” Kyrian had said to her.
She was stunned. Astonished. Flabbergasted. Every synonym of surprised she could think of was what she was. Kyrian was definitely a friend.
“Come by the office on Monday,” Chief Ladipo brought her back to the present, “we’ll talk more.”
“Definitely sir. I’ll be there.”
“Daddy, my friend and his friend want to meet you,” a voice said from behind Tegan. She stepped aside to recognize Chief Ladipo's son. Beside him was another guy she didn’t know, but looked familiar. The other guy was Dozie. What is he doing here? She thought to herself. She noticed him glare at her and she wondered what that was for. She excused herself from them and sauntered away. She didn’t want to talk to him yet. She thought she had gotten away from him after about five minutes had passed. No such luck.
“Great party,” Dozie said from behind her.
“What are you doing here?” She turned to face him.
“I could ask you the same,” Dozie folded his arms.
“Hi, I’m Andrew, but my friends call me Andy,” Andy pushed Dozie aside to introduce himself to Tegan.
She was a bit surprised and wondered who he was and why he was introducing himself. Then, she remembered an Andy Dozie had told her about who was his closest friend. She had seen a picture of him once.
She smiled at him, “hi, Andy. I’ve heard so much about you.” She shook his hand.
“Good things, I hope,” Andy smiled back.
“Well, mostly good things.” Tegan laughed. She heard Dozie scoff beside Andy. They both looked at him.
“I’ll leave you two to catch up. I guess I’ll see you around, Tegan.” Andy said out loud, then to Tegan, he whispered, “go easy on him.”
She smiled at Dozie as Andy left. “I like your friend.” Dozie kept frowning at her. “Why are you looking at me like that?”
“Did Kyrian replace me?”
“Excuse me?”
“You heard me, Tegan. Did you use Kyrian to replace me?”
“I’ll pretend you didn’t just ask such a stupid question.” Tegan turned to leave. He followed her.
“You’re over here with him, laughing and having fun and—”
“I’m a grown woman. A free, grown woman. I can smile and have fun with whomever I want.” She cut him short. She walked faster, he increased his pace too.
“You’re right about the free part. That’s why you are here with Kyrian!” Dozie retorted. 
“We broke up, Dozie. Stop acting like a child and deal with it.”
That made him stop in his track. She realized what she said and stopped too.
“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.” She faced him.
“You’re right. I should get used to the break up. I should stop acting like a child. Maybe that’s why Kyrian is a better fit than I am. He’s older and mature and—”
“Is everything okay?” Kyrian asked, from beside Tegan. “I saw you hurry away.”
Where had he come from? Dozie thought, but said instead, “with all due respect, sir. Tegan and I were having a conversation. You’re interrupting.” He stared deep into the man’s eyes. He expected to see something malevolent, but all he saw was tranquility.
Tegan rubbed her temple and hoped the headache threatening to form would disappear. “Kyrian, it’s all right. I’m fine. Please excuse us.”
Kyrian nodded and left them alone, but didn’t go far.
Tegan spoke up immediately Kyrian left, “It’s not fair that you’d think I’d jump into a relationship this soon. You know I hardly ever go on dates. Kyrian and I are just friends. He’s helping me.”
“You two look good together,” Dozie spoke calmly.
“Dozie—”
“It’s fine. I’m sorry my jealousy took control of me. We’re not together anymore. And it’s my fault.” He stepped closer to her and heard her catch her breath. He pulled her into an embrace and kissed her on her forehead. “You deserve everything good, darling. Always remember that.” He let go of her and walked away.
She was speechless. She took in deep breaths as she watched him walk away from her. She wanted to go to him. She felt Kyrian's pat on her shoulder and was grateful he was there.
“I’m guessing that was him,” he said, taking her hand and leading her to a chair.
She simply nodded. “I’m sorry about the embarrassment.”
“Nah. It’s nothing. I would have done the same if I were in his shoes. Y'all will be fine in due time. Want to eat something?”
“Yes, please,” she managed to smile.
“Let me get you something.” He stood to go the buffet, while Tegan wished her troubles would simply vanish. “One step at a time,” she said to herself.

                                  ***
“Great work, Dozie. Really great.” Dozie chastised himself as he walked into his compound. He had told Andy he didn’t want to stay for the party anymore. Andy had wanted to drive him home, but he had declined. He told Andy to enjoy himself while he took an Uber home.
“How could I have said those things to her? Even if she was dating Kyrian, the man would treat her better than I would. There’s no drama attached to dating him. No baggage. No Cynthia—”
“Chidozie, are you talking to yourself?” Mrs. Agu asked him. She was standing at the foot of the stairs. She looked at him with concern.
Dozie hadn’t realized he was already inside the house and that he was talking out loud.
“Sorry, Mama bear. I didn’t realize I was talking out loud,” he walked over to her and hugged her. Grateful for the comfort in her embrace, he stayed longer.
“Are you going to tell me what’s wrong?” She patted his back.
“I never said anything was wrong, Ma.”
“You’re forgetting I’m your mother.”
He sighed and stepped away from her. He dug his hands in his pockets and lazily walked to the living room. He plopped on the largest cushion, his mother sat beside him too. He rested his head backward on the chair.
“I think I messed up, mom,” he said, his eyes on the ceiling.
“This have anything to do with your special someone and how you’ve not being going out with her for like a month now?”
He looked at her, “how on Earth do you know that?”
“Again, I’m your mother. Does it also have anything to do with my Ada?”
“Your Ada is a monster,” Dozie muttered.
“Chidozie!” Mrs. Agu scolded. “Don’t call your sister a monster.”
“Mom, you know Cynthia is a pain. Don’t act like she doesn’t upset you too.”
“Even if she does, she’s still my daughter. Now, what did she do? Don’t worry, she’s not home.” Mrs. Agu quickly added, when she saw her son raise his eyes towards the stairs.
Dozie sighed and relayed everything to his mother. He told her who Tegan was, her position at Fashion Today and how much she meant to him. He told her about Cynthia’s blackmail and how she had gotten the video. Cynthia’s schadenfreude had been the height of the story. He noticed the color drain from his mother’s face. He finally told her about his encounter with Tegan earlier that day and how he felt he had hurt her. When he was done, his mother looked clearly exasperated.
Oh Chi m! Umuaka a agaghi egbu m. Chidozie, you mean all this has been happening, under my very own nose? You and your sister have been having this silent beef. I knew it. I told your father that both of you looked like you were fighting, he didn’t believe me.”
“Mom, this is all Cynthia's doing. I wouldn’t be having relationship crisis or even work crisis if Cynthia didn’t have a problem with Tegan. If she could just mind her business.”
Mrs. Agu sighed, “I’m sorry your sister is doing this—”
“You don’t need to apologize for her, Mama Bear. She's responsible for her actions.”
“Yes, she is. But she’s still my daughter and your sister. I’m not proud of her actions and I’ll call her to order.”
He looked at her, “don’t do anything, Mom. She’ll probably go ahead with her threat and ruin Tegan. I wouldn’t care if she is my sister if she hurts Tegan.”
“Relax, nwoke m. Obara gi di hot. Anyway,” she smiled now, mischievously, “you decided that it’s your boss, you’ll date. You have big eyes oh.”
Dozie laughed, “Mommy!”
“Don’t mommy me oh!”
“Mom, you’d love her too if you knew her. She’s beautiful and hardworking and intelligent. She has this charisma and aura that would draw you to her. She’s great, Mom. And now she’s not mine anymore.” He became wistful.
Mrs. Agu placed her palm on his hand. “I’ve told you to relax. I do believe I’ll meet Tegan someday.”
Dozie sat upright and faced his mother. “You’re not a bit bothered that she’s older than I am, are you?” 
Mrs. Agu placed her palm on his cheek, before she spoke. “I’m only bothered about what makes my son happy. Clearly, Tegan makes you happy. A cloud has been over you ever since the breakup. If I choose to act like a typical Igbo mother, I might lose my son. I choose your happiness, Chidozie.”
He hugged her again and smothered her with kisses. “You’re the best, Mom. I told Tegan you’d be ok with it.”
Mrs. Agu laughed. “First things first, we have to get rid of that video.”
“How am I going to do that? I’ve tried getting to Cynthia's phone, but she’s on guard because she knows I’d definitely try that. I don’t have a single clue how to get to Tope too.”
“Who said anything about you doing it yourself?” she raised her eyebrows at him.
He stared at her and chuckled, “Mama bear, what are you up to?”
“You leave everything to me. Once it’s done, you’ll figure out how to get Tegan back.”
“Yup, you’re the one getting the award for the best mother in the world.” He pulled her up to himself and twirled her around.
Cynthia opened the front door and walked in on them dancing. 
“What’s the occasion?” She asked them, walking towards the stairs.
“Oh, nothing, Ada m. We’re just dancing. Want to join us?” Mrs. Agu said, sure that Dozie wouldn’t say anything to his sister.
“Dancing without music,” she said, obviously bored. “I’ll pass. Enjoy yourselves.” She headed up the stairs and left them alone. If only she knew her mother and brother were plotting against her.

Translations
Biko- please
Ekasan- good afternoon
Ese omo daada- thank you, good child.
Oh chi m, umuaka a agaghi egbu m- My God, these children won’t kill me.
Nwoke m... Obara gi di- My man... your blood is..



Comments

  1. What an understanding mother...I believe things will definitely work out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like Dozies mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be interesting 😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dozie's Mum is the kind of mother I wish I could be but Obara m di hot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II