Tegan 11

 

Photo: from Google

Tegan: she's definitely worthy of love

The hall was decorated beautifully. Colors hung from pillars to posts, and walls. The likes of red, green, white or silver. A few tables were set at different angles. They were covered with white clothes and filled with assorted drinks. Only a few chairs were stationed too. It was a party after all, for dancing and celebrating, not for sitting. The people at the party too were dressed in exquisite clothes. Some in red, some in white, some a combination of both colors. 
Fashion Today workers did know how to dress, but then again, they were a fashion magazine. It was expected of them to look magnificent always.
Tegan sashayed through the mist of people, greeting, talking, laughing. Some were bidding her farewell, some were sad that she was leaving. She tried to maintain a mirthful state, to avoid crying. She had good memories with Fashion Today, she had to maintain her composure. She got to a table and found a bottle of champagne with a few flutes. She opened the bottle and poured herself a drink. As she was sipping, Lola came from behind and dragged her by the elbow.
“Very nice of you to drop by,” she said, still dragging her.
“Lola, where are you taking me to?” Tegan complained. She had to hold on tight to the flute of champagne to prevent it from spilling.
“You’ll know soon,” was all Lola said.
They passed colleagues who sent greetings their way and thought it wasn’t weird that Lola led Tegan out of the hall like a child who had disobeyed her parents. Tegan found a table and dropped the flute. She wasn’t going to ruin her dress, or Lola's, which was a white skimpy gown.
“Omolola Bidemi, why are you leading me out of the hall? Where are you taking me to?” Tegan was exasperated.
Lola didn’t answer, instead she let go off Tegan and kept walking.
“You think I’ll follow you wherever you’re going after you have let go off my elbow?” Tegan said from behind.
“Yes, T-boss. You’re too inquisitive to not keep following me after getting this far.”
“But the party is that way,” Tegan pointed to where they had come from.
Lola didn’t bother answering or looking back. She just kept walking.
Tegan muttered, “damn you, Lola!”
Lola laughed and led her up the stairs of the hotel. At the corridor, Lola said, “you decided to leave me alone in Fashion Today. Who will I work with now?”
Tegan got emotional, “Awwn baby. Is this what this is about? I’m sorry, but I have to leave. You know it’s better I’m in Glamour.” She gave a mischievous smile that Lola couldn’t see. “Maybe I can put in a word or two for you there and maybe you can still work with me, or even have your own office.” 
Lola stopped walking and turned to face Tegan, a bright smile on her face. “Are you for real?”
“Of course. You have been a wonderful assistant. Plus, if not for your push, maybe I wouldn’t have known just how nice Kyrian is. Maybe I wouldn’t have gotten the job.”
“Well, my push was for you to date him.” Lola folded her arms.
Tegan laughed, “I know, but he’s a good friend. A good friend who got me a job.”
“He got you the audience you needed, you got the job on your own.”
“I’m glad we can agree on something. Besides, my heart belongs to someone else.”
“That sounds romantic. If only we knew who the guy was.” Lola made a face as she turned around and kept walking.
“Maybe you’ll know him soon,” Tegan muttered and followed Lola. “Lola, where are we going?”
“I just need to get my bag in this room. I got a room for myself,” Lola said, putting a key into the lock of a door they had halted in front of. “I’m not going home this night. It’s New year’s Eve.” She winked and opened the door.
Tegan stepped inside the dark room before Lola, “ok, get your bag and let’s get back to the part—”
“SURPRISE!”
“Oh my God!” Tegan almost jumped out of her skin as the lights in the room went on and the screams of surprise resonated in her ears.
“Oh my God!” She exclaimed again, almost in tears. “You guys. You guys didn’t have to do this.”
She adjusted her eyes to the lightning of the room and noticed the decorations in the room, the cake and the big sign that read, “Good luck in your new job, Tegan!” It was a surprise send forth party or celebration that her team had done for her. There in the room, were Shade, Kunle, Dozie and a few others. She put one hand on her chest and the other on her mouth as if to prevent her emotions from overflowing
“Yes, we had to, T-boss,” Lola said, guiding her further into the room. “You were a wonderful boss. A pain in the ass, sometimes.” The others in the room laughed. “Still, it was great working with you and for you. You are wonderful.”
“You guys are making me cry,” Tegan wiped a tear that streamed down her eye and threw her arms around Lola. Lola accepted the embrace with open arms and everyone around 'oohed and awwed.'
“Ok, enough of the mushy mushy stuff. It’s time to party, in a low-key mode, of course.” Lola said, extricating herself from Tegan. “DJ, hit us up with something nice.”
“You got it, ma’am,” Kunle, who was the makeshift DJ, answered. He played music from his phone, through the little speaker he had.

Dozie almost shouted something other than surprise after Tegan had stepped into the room. He thought maybe 'booh' or 'yaa', to scare her. He had no idea why that thought crossed his mind, Tegan didn’t get scared easily. Anyway, he and his crew had waited for half an hour for her to arrive at the hotel, and for her to enjoy the party downstairs for a while. Then, Lola had set out to bring her in. Lola didn’t call her to know if she had arrived, it would have blown their cover. Instead, she made someone look out for her. 
Now, Tegan smiled and shed a few tears of joy as his colleagues presented their gifts to her. Shade, the drama queen, cried more than everyone, hugging and holding on to Tegan. Lola had to drag her off Tegan. Tegan thought it was cute and laughed. He, on the other hand, wanted to sweep her away from them and be alone with her. She looked absolutely ravishing. The woman turned his brain to jelly everyday, but it was worse when she was in red.
“The lady in red,” he said to himself. He chose to wear white trousers and a white top. The top was fitted at his biceps and his chest. It also flowed to his knees. 
It was time for him to present his gift to her. He picked up the small wrapped box at his side and walked to where she sat.
“A gift for the lady in red,” he said, squatting in front of her, the box in his hand.
“Why, thank you, gentleman in white. I wasn’t expecting gifts tonight,” she replied in the same tone as his. She took the box from him and set it on the table, with the other gifts.
He chuckled and stood. “There are things I want to say to you that I can’t say here.”
He had no idea where that came from. That wasn’t what he wanted to say to her.
He thought he could feel her cheeks turn as red as her lips.
 “What things?” she asked.
She was playing along. He'd continue then. “If you want to know, you’d have to follow me somewhere else.” 
She stared deep into his eyes, then asked, “where?”
He wasn’t expecting the response. So, he gaped at her for a few seconds.
“Where am I following you to, Dozie?” she asked again.
He quickly thought of an idea. “How about, I help you take your gifts to your car. We’ll be alone then.”
“Ok,” she said, crossing her legs and exposing her flawless laps.
“Guys, this is a mini party, not a talk show. You should be dancing,” Lola yelled at them.
Dozie smiled and walked away from Tegan. They partied for a few minutes, eating cake and drinking, before everyone decided it was time to head downstairs for the big party. Dozie offered to help Tegan take her gifts to her car and Lola thought it was a good idea. Tegan gave her car keys to him, and he and Kunle took the gifts.
 The others piled out of the room and left Tegan and Lola alone, briefly. Lola said to her, “correct me if I’m wrong. Was Dozie flirting with you?”
Tegan laughed, “why would you think that?”
“Well, I tried very much to ignore it. But I’ve caught him staring at you, a lot. At the office, at some events. The worst was at Taylor’s wedding. If the guy could eat you with his eyes, he’d have done that voraciously.”
“Lola!”
“What? I said correct me if I’m wrong. You haven’t.” Lola put her hands on her hips and watched Tegan closely, who had her back on the door.
“It’s a long story,” she finally said.
“I knew it,” Lola exclaimed.
“You knew what?” Tegan laughed. “Please can we head back downstairs.” She turned and opened the door.
“I knew he likes you na. Question is, do you like him?” Lola locked the room and stepped into the hallway with Tegan. “You like him too, don’t you?” Lola widened her eyes.
“Is it such a bad thing if I like him too?” Tegan inquired.
“It’s not bad. I think it’s great. Dozie is a good guy and you are an awesome lady. I am even happy you like a guy. I thought you were gonna be a nun.”
Tegan cracked up again, “Being a nun isn’t a bad thing either.”
“Jor, T-boss leave that thing. You can’t be a nun. The world needs to see you wearing hot gowns like this.” Lola gestured with her hands.
Tegan just kept laughing.
“Anyway,” Lola chipped in again, “It’s a good thing you don’t work in Fashion Today anymore. I hope you guys will be fine.”
Tegan smiled to herself. If only Lola knew everything. “I hope so too.”
They walked downstairs together and Tegan remembered she and Dozie’s chat. “I’ll see you at the party, let me make sure Dozie and Kunle found my car.”

Lola waved her off and Tegan went out to the parking lot. The night breeze caressed her skin. She gazed at the night sky briefly and noticed the moon was crescent. She could also hear the fireworks around and see the glitters in the sky. Some from a distance, some close by. It was New year’s Eve, after all. She checked her watch for the time. 11:30pm. 30 minutes to the 1st of January. A new chapter, a new beginning. 
She got a few metres close to her car and found Dozie resting at the side of the bonnet. He had his eyes somewhere else, so he was oblivious of her. She took her time to look at him. There, in the dim moonlight and the artificial lights from the hotel, he looked gorgeous. The white attire he wore made him look like a Greek god. All muscular. His face, beautiful as always, even when he frowned, drew her closer. Her staring had to stop when he turned around and faced her. He smiled.
“You’re here,” he said, he had one hand behind him.
“Yes, I’m here. Had to make sure you guys found the car.”
“Is that the only reason you’re here?”
“You’re still an ass.”
He gave her a lopsided grin.
 “Kunle?”
“I said I’d meet him inside. Needed some air.”
“Is that the only reason you’re here?” She asked, walking to him.
He laughed at that, “good one. Should I call you an ass too?” She had gotten to him now.
“Maybe you should tell me those things you couldn’t say upstairs.” She rested her side on the car too.
“I will, in due time. Walk with me.”
“The last time I walked with someone, unwillingly at that, I walked into a surprise party.”
He gave her a slow smile. “I wouldn’t say that was a bad thing.” He brought out his hand and she hooked hers inside his elbow.
“It wasn’t a bad thing. It’s not a bad thing.” They walked. “But I’d like to know where we’re walking to.”
“To my car. By the way, your gifts are safely in yours.”
“Thanks. Whose idea was it?”
“Whose idea was what?” he gave her a perplexed look.
“Breathe. You look like… I don’t even know what you look like. I meant, whose idea was it to throw a surprise party for me? And get me gifts too.”
“Oh, that. You should know it’s Lola. She told me and I agreed with her. Then we told the team.”

They got to the car and he opened it.
Tegan thought of what Lola said earlier. Of course she’d have brought her plan to Dozie. Dozie would agree to anything concerning Tegan if he liked her. “You agreed to throw a party for me. That’s really sweet.” 
He took out something from the pigeonhole and handed it to her.
She gasped, “I didn’t know I was still receiving gifts for my send forth.” She took the white rose from him and inhaled the scent.
He shut the door and locked the car. Resting on the car door with his  back, he said in a low voice, “This isn’t for your send forth, Tegan.”
“Dozie—”
“It’s time I tell you those things I couldn’t say upstairs. You always look great, you know this already, but you do something entirely different to me when you wear red. Remember the second time I met you?”
She gave him a slow smile, “yes I do. I pretended I didn’t know you.”
He chuckled, “exactly. I was amazed at how well you could comport yourself. You acted professionally and you also don’t let your emotions cloud your judgement. Something I came to love about you. But, what made my mouth water that day was you in red. You wore this red gown that made me want to know you more. Made me want to see you more. I had fantasies of you in red. You look ravishing in it.”
She gave him a coy smile. “You were not only checking out your boss, you had indecent thoughts of  her.”
“Obviously.” He gave her a wicked smile. “And today, I wasn’t interested in what you’d wear. I just wanted to see you, to talk to you. And here you are, my fantasy of you, right in front of me.” He brushed her cheek with the back of his finger.
She hitched her breath and brought the rose to her chest. “I suppose I should thank you for the rose and the compliments. Thank you, Dozie.”
“You’re welcome, Darling.” He put his hand in his pocket and took out her key.
“I believe this is yours,” he handed her the key.
“Yes, it is.” She took it from him and put it into her bag. She watched him watch her and everything around them suddenly vanished.
“Dozie, I didn’t know what to say if I saw you here, tonight. I know I ended things between us, it was all I could do at the time. I’m sorry. I know I hurt you.”
“You shouldn’t apologize for doing what you thought was best for you. I didn’t want to understand why you did it, but I did. I do understand.”
“Ok.” She said and started pacing. The parking lot was empty but for them. It was a good thing, she didn’t want any distractions.
“Are you ok?” He asked her. 
“Yes. I’m fine. I’m not really one with a lot of words, so I’ll go straight to the point.” She stopped pacing and stood in front of him. “I want you back, Dozie, if you’ll have me.”
“Wow. That is straight to the point.”
“I’m sorry. You’re probably over me and have met a girl your age and—”
“I don’t want a girl my age,” he cut her off. “I want you.”
She swallowed, “Really?”
“Yes, really. I don’t just give white roses to everyone. I have never given any woman a white rose, until you.”
“Oh,” was all she could say.
“You smell like roses. You remind me of roses. Yes, they have thorns, but they’re beautiful. So are you. I was gonna ask you for another chance. I just had to think of the best way to say it.”
She came closer to him, “ask me. For another chance.”
He exhaled and continued, “If you are ok with me, Nneoma, I want you back in my life. If you wouldn’t bother about the age issue. If you’d be ok with a guy who’s still trying to make a name for himself but would take care of you, no matter what. If you’d be ok to visit him in his new house, where he has a roommate—”
“Wait, you moved out?”
“You’re interrupting my speech.” He gritted his teeth. 
“Sorry,” she swallowed her laugh. “Please continue.”
“Right,” he sighed, “If you’d be ok with him as he is now, but he’ll definitely keep growing. If you’d be ok to be with me, Nneoma, I would be honored to have you as my woman. I need you to think about it.”
“I’ve thought about it.”
He felt his heart racing. “So fast. And?”
“For crying out loud, Dozie. I just told you I want you back.”
“Yes, you did. But, I don’t want you back for something temporary. Tegan, I’m in love with you—”
“You’re what?” she gasped.
He exhaled again and put in his face in his hands for about a second. He raised his head again and looked into her eyes. “I’m in love with you, Tegan. I have been for a while now. And I want us to have something serious. I want a future with you. That’s what I want, so I need to know that we’re on the same page.”
She gently placed her rose on the roof of the car and took his face in her hands. “It took you long enough to say you loved me.” She kissed him, briefly. “Yes, we’re on the same page. I’m in love with you too and I want a future with you. Sounds like a fairytale, but I’d take it. It’s New year’s Eve, I’m allowed to make wishes and have dreams, especially with the man I love.”
“You’re so beautiful,” he pulled her closer to himself and took her lips. “I missed you. I missed kissing you.” He kissed her passionately and she kissed him back with the same passion.
“You’re not scared of someone making another video?” She asked, in between kisses.
He laughed, “you’re crazy, you know that, right?”
“Maybe.”
“I could marry you right now.”
“Easy cowboy,” she laughed.
“If you were a twin, I’d still choose you.” 

Tegan stopped kissing him and raised an eyebrow at him, “you do know that I am a twin, don’t you?”
Dozie wrinkled his face. “You’re right. I don’t know how Drake’s line came to my head. I’ll rephrase then. If you were an identical twin, I’d still chose you. Heck, you’re a spec!” He winked at her and devoured her lips again.
She laughed and accepted his kisses. She devoured his lips too, feasting as much as she could. She felt his hands on her neck and her back. She gasped when he kissed he neck and her exposed shoulder. Somehow, in the midst of her ecstasy, she laughed again.
“What?” he asked, pausing from the titillating things he was doing to her. “Right, we’re in the parking lot. I’ll stop.”
She tried swallowing her laugh and put her hands on his shoulders. “It’s not even that. My lipstick is on your lips.”
“Oh shit,” he pulled away from her and went to the side mirror of the car to check it out.
She laughed harder. “Don’t worry. I have wipes in here.” She opened her bag and took out some facial wipes. “You can clean off the lipstick, while I also freshen up my makeup.”
They quickly did that, all the more avoiding kissing each other again. She picked up her rose and they started back to the party, hand in hand.
“I can’t believe my luck this night. I have the most beautiful woman in the world.” Dozie took her palm and kissed it.
“Relax, cowboy. We still have to convince our parents we aren’t crazy.”
“My mom is already on my side. Once she is, my dad is definitely on my side. Cynthia has no say in this. I also think Taylor likes me very much. So, it’s your parents.”
“You’re right, Taylor does like you. My mom, however is going to fret and shout and worry and ask me, 'Nneoma, what are you even doing?' She mimicked her mother. “But, she’ll get used to it.”
“Ok, then. I guess we’ll be fine. We have the new year ahead to plan for our future.” He said as they stepped into the hall. The countdown was already on.
“4,3,2,1… Happy New year!” Everyone screamed.
A banner was revealed and it read 'Happy New Year.’ Everyone then started hugging and wishing themselves.
“Cheers to new beginnings and love.” Dozie picked Tegan from the ground and spun het around.
She giggled and held on to him and her rose, “Cheers, my love! Cheers!”



                      The End!



Comments

  1. WOW! Wonderful love story!
    LIV is this really the end?
    You can write one more last chapter...please...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fairy godmother.
    You make me believe in love

    ReplyDelete
  3. No No No!!! I just wish this love story didn't end..... A very beautiful story!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II