Let's See How it Goes

 

Lagos would always welcome you with traffic and Nonso Okafor was no longer surprised by it. He looked at his wristwatch and noted that he had spent about thirty minutes already. His flight had gotten in early, now all he had to do was sit back in the Bolt he had ordered and either enjoy the ride from Ikeja to Yaba, where his friend, Samuel lived or be frustrated. Samuel was hosting him, as he always did whenever he was in Lagos. Inasmuch as Lagos traffic was like breathing in, he loved visiting. He liked going to the beaches and trying different restaurants. He didn’t know why he decided to take his leave this early in the year, but he felt the urge to leave Abuja and come down. He decided to keep himself busy by preparing an itinerary for his stay in Lagos. Luckily for him, he had the advantage of working from home after his two weeks leave. He could spend the entire February in Lagos.

He arrived at Sam’s place at about 5pm and received a warm welcome. The bolt driver got an eye filling encounter.

“My guy,” Sam gave him a bear hug as soon as he stepped out of gate of the apartment building he lived.

“Samuel! Sam Kelly!” Nonso hailed him as he accepted the embrace. “Guy you don big oh, see your cheeks.”

“Abeg leave that thing, Nonso. See as you fresh. Abuja money dey show.” Sam let him go and shrugged in exaggeration. “Ahhhh! Nonso!”

Nonso threw his head back in laughter. His vacation wouldn’t lack laughter and joy. “Guy my box dey for boot, make I comot am.”

“No need to stress yourself today, Sam Kelly at your service.” As an after thought, Sam added. “Just for today sha.”

Sam helped Nonso get his box from the boot and they both went into the two-story building. Sam lived on the first floor, so they didn’t have to drag Nonso's box up a huge flight of stairs. Sam squeezed the handle of his door and stepped into his one bedroom apartment. Nonso took in the living room. It hadn’t changed from the last time he was there. The settees were still olive green and comfy too as he sat down and felt the softness. The marble center table still stood where it was. The walls were still painted cream and decorated with different art works that Nonso had never really understood. They were so abstract that he couldn’t even describe them. But Sam loved them, loved collecting them and displaying them. A man is entitled to what he likes.

“Nothing has changed since the last time,” he said out loud.

“What were you expecting?” Sam scoffed. “That I would have a wife and she would change the entire house?”

Nonso chuckled and inhaled deeply. For the first time since he stepped into the house, his brain took note of the sweet aroma that filled the air.

“Speaking of wives, Sam Kelly, wetin dey pap  for kitchen?” he asked Sam. “Smells really nice.”

“Ah, no be me dey kitchen oh,” Sam exonerated himself. “And it’s definitely not a wife or girlfriend.” He quickly added when he noticed Nonso grinning. “It’s my cousin. You remember my cousin, Chizoba, right? She bakes. Her oven decided to malfunction, so, she’s using mine.”

“Oh.” Nonso thought as much, the air smelled of cake and sweet things. “That explains it then.” Nonso recalled Sam's cousin he had met once or twice in the past. He remembered her to be fair and tall. She had nice skin too and had always been pretty and very opinionated the few times he had seen her interacting with Sam or someone. For some reason, they had never really had a long conversation. It had been a while he saw her.

As if on cue, Chizoba walked into the living room, wearing an apron and a baker’s hat. Nonso stared at her without knowing he was. Ok, he remembered her as a pretty girl, but the lady in the living room was gorgeous. Even in the apron and weird cap, she looked divine.

“Hello, Nonso, long time no see,” she smiled at him.

“Nonso, you remember Chizzy, right?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, I do,” Nonso said, standing to shake her hand. “Good afternoon, Chizzy.”

“Ah-ah,” she wagged her right index finger in front of him after the handshake. “Only family and friends call me Chizzy. I’m Chizoba to you.” Then she glared at Sam who was smirking where he sat.

Nonso gave a lopsided grin, “but I’m a friend to your fam, doesn’t that count?”

“Nope, it doesn’t,” she replied flatly. “I’ll leave you guys to catch up while I go finish up in the kitchen.”

Shey there’s cake for me?”  Sam called after her as she strolled back to the kitchen, then added quickly when Nonso shot daggers at him, “I mean us. Shey there’s cake for us?”

“No!” Chizoba yelled from the kitchen.

“Now I see why you’re getting big, you’ve been eating a lot of cake,” Nonso concluded, sitting.

Sam smirked at him and whispered, “I saw the way you looked at her.” Totally ignoring Nonso’s comment.

“What?” Nonso’s eyes widened.

Nwanne, I said I saw the way you looked at her.” He looked towards the kitchen. “And stop screaming.”

Nonso cleared his throat and lowered his voice. “Ok. I’ve always known she was pretty, but she’s grown into a very beautiful woman.”

“That’s a fact already. And?”

“And I think that’s a wonderful thing.”

“So?”

“You sound like a father asking me what my intentions for his daughter are.”

“That’s exactly what this is, Nonso. Chizzy is my baby, you know I don’t have sisters and I’m very protective of her—”

“I know,” Nonso interjected.

“And I know say you be correct guy,” Sam continued. “But, if you just want someone to play with, she’s not that kinda girl.”

Nonso sighed, “you know that’s not what I want. And I don’t really know Chizzy yet. I’d just like to know her first and see how it goes. I want to at least be able to call her Chizzy to her face.”

“Ok, you have my blessing. Be a good lad to her.”

“Pfft!”

“I said you had my blessing and you’re puffing,” Sam smacked Nonso at the back of his head.

“Ow!” Nonso yelped, rubbing his head, “ok, thank you for the blessing.”

“You’re welcome.”

They talked for about five minutes before Chizoba emerged again, without the apron and the baker’s hat. She had a plate in her hand and two slices of cake.

“Gentlemen,” she placed the plate on the center table, “enjoy.”

“Thank you, Chizzy,” Nonso said, to get on her nerves. It worked because she flared her nose at him.

“You’re welcome, but I already told you—”

“Yeah, yeah, only family and friends call you Chizzy,” Nonso picked up a piece of cake. “I’ll get there.” He looked her in the eyes.

“Good luck with that!” She said to him and sauntered back to the kitchen.


***

Chizoba Eneh checked the cake boxes again before she placed calls to her dispatch riders to make sure the cakes for her clients matched the addresses they gave. Once she had mistakenly delivered a chocolate cake meant for another customer to one who had requested for a red velvet sponge cake. The pandemonium it threw her in wasn’t what she would want to relive again. Ever since, she had put in extra care to check and recheck the addresses before they left her sight. Humming in satisfaction, she called her dispatch riders, and one by one, all her orders for the day left her small bakery located in her simple one bedroom abode. It was about 5:30pm before she was done for the day. She took her bath and treated herself with a glass of wine. Thinking the night was still young, she decided to visit her cousin, Sam. He was a saving grace to her the weekend before when her oven malfunctioned. Besides, he always knew fun things to do and she was in the mood for some fun. She put on a pair of blue jean trousers and a cream vintage shirt. She pulled on a face cap over her cornrowed hair and smiled at her reflection in the floor length mirror in her room. She found a pair of black flip-flops and put on her feet. After switching off every electrical appliance, she left her apartment which was a stone throw from his place. She took the little flight of stairs and knocked on his door.

“Chizzy, how nice to see you again,” Nonso, Sam’s friend opened the door for her.

 Oh great, how had she forgotten that he was staying in the house.

“You know calling me Chizzy now doesn’t mean we’re friends,” she said, walking past him and making herself comfortable on the big couch.

He plopped down beside her and grinned. “You’re the one making this difficult. We can be friends now.”

She eyed him and chuckled. “I take care when choosing my friends. And the only thing I know about you is that you’re Sam’s friend.”

“Which should be a plus for me, cos Sam is your cousin and you trust him. If I’m his friend, it means I have good character.”

“No, it doesn’t,” she countered.

“So, you’re saying Sam isn’t a good judge of character.” He said it more like a statement than a question.

“Oh no,” she shook her head and pulled her feet from the floor to the couch. “Don’t put words into my mouth.”

“I did no such thing,” Nonso put his hands up in exoneration.

“No, you’re trying to back me into a corner. I say yes, then it means I don’t trust my cousin to have good friends, I say no, and you make me think he has good friends.”

“But he has good friends, I’m one of them.”

She scoffed, “I want to see that for myself.”

He leaned in a little closer and for the first time since they met, she let herself appreciate his good looks. He had perfectly trimmed beards and his eyes were captivating. She was light skinned compared to his chocolate complexion. His lips moved and she had to concentrate to hear what he was saying. “How would you see that for yourself if you don’t even give me a chance?”

She turned away from him and smiled. She decided that focusing on the TV which was tuned to Sound City was better than looking into his eyes at the moment.

“Fair enough,” she said finally. “Any time we see is an opportunity for you to prove you can be a good friend.”

“I’ll take that,” he said. She could feel him smiling at her. “By the way, you look good.”

She had to look at him. Then she thought that might have been a mistake. He was watching her and she felt a warmth flow through her. She didn’t want to feel that warmth.

“You won’t get points for complimenting me,” she said, brushing it off.

He laughed and jumped off the couch. “What do I offer you, biko?”

She clapped her hands together. “You know this is my house as much as it’s Sam's, this one you’re treating me like a visitor.”

“Well, that might be true, but I’m sure there's a bottle of red wine chilling in the fridge that is screaming for us to pop it.”

“I love red wine,” she couldn’t help herself. “I’d like some. Thank you.”

“Coming right up.” He made his way into the kitchen and she could hear him moving about. She picked the TV remote and change the channel. She went through channels and couldn’t find anything interesting to watch. She gave up when he came back into the living room carrying a tray that bore a bottle of wine and three glasses.

“Hmm, three glasses, where’s Sam?” She couldn’t believe that for about 15 minutes she hadn’t asked of Sam.

“He's making a call in the room. That call has gone on for almost 30 minutes.” Nonso rolled his eyes and uncorked the bottle.

She chuckled, “must be Sandra he’s speaking to.”

He spared her a glance. “You know Sandra?”

“Is that even a question? He’s my favorite cousin and the closest relative to me here. Of course I know Sandra.”

Nonso filled two glasses with wine. He handed one to her and came to sit beside her again. “Tell me about Sandra.”

Chizoba sipped some wine and moaned. The wine was delicious. She looked at the bottle and captured the name of the wine in her memory, “Lamothe Parrot.” She had a new favorite red wine now.

“Chizzy, tell me about Sandra.” Nonso’s voice brought her back to earth.

“No,” she said flatly.

“Why?”

“If you wanna know about Sandra, ask him yourself.”

“I have, the human doesn’t want to tell me anything.” He sipped some wine, then continued. “I remember the day I arrived and how he vehemently declined any girlfriend or wife in his life. But he and this girl talk for hours.”

“You know what, fuck it. I’ll tell you.” She grinned at him. “He met Sandra in church. Because of her, he joined Legion of Mary. Sam, who used to be Sunday-Sunday medicine now goes to church more than once a week, so he could see Sandra. It took a while before she gave him her number.”

“Wow! Here I was thinking she was one of your friends.”

“Oh no. We talk, but she’s not a close friend.”

“Who are your close friends?”

She smiled into her glass. “Why do you want to know?”

“Curiosity.”

“My closest friends are Ini, Soludo and Kike.”

“All females?”

“Yes.”

“So, they’re like your clique.”

She thought for a while. “You could say that.”

“Wow!” He inched forward and poured more wine for himself.

“What?” She asked him. “You look like I told you a terrible thing.”

“You’re in a clique of four women, tell me, how long would it take for me to get your number?”

She threw back her head and laughed hard. “Nonso, you’re really funny. How does my clique have anything to do with my number?”

“Firstly,” he began, “I’ve seen movies where a guy tries to get the attention of one girl in a clique and how he has to really suffer before he gets to her. Thank God I met you without them hovering around you.”

She laughed even harder. He let her laugh fade into a smile before he continued.

“Secondly, these girls have a say in each other’s lives. There’s always one who doesn’t want anything to do with men and hates them. There’s the one who knows so much about men and likes to dish out advice. There’s the quiet one who doesn’t really care. Then there’s one who is nice and believes everyone is as nice as she is.”

“You’re really detailed about girl cliques. Are you sure you’re not a lady?”

He gave her a malicious grin. “I’m fully male.” The grin disappeared before he spoke. “Which one are you in the clique?”

She wanted to sip more wine, then realized she had finished the one she had. She made to pour more for herself, but he took the glass from her and refilled it.

“What a gentleman,” she smiled at him.

“Points for me, I guess.”

She realized she was still smiling at him, then she tried to maintain a straight face. “If you want to know which girl I am,” she began, “you’ll have to find out yourself.”

“What? No, please. Do you want me to hang out with you all?” He looked really baffled.

“This is great.” She guffawed, despite herself. “You need to see your face now. You look so scared. And of what, a clique of girls.”

“Ah, my dear. They said we should fear women. I take that very seriously. By the way, what are you doing on Valentine’s day?”

“Oh, I’ll be very busy.” She replied flatly. “I have lots of orders for cakes, cup cakes, small chops and so on. So many people want to make their partners happy. But, I’m not taking orders after the 11th.”

“That’s next Friday.”

“Yup.”

He looked at her thoughtfully. “Does that mean there’s no one taking you out. I mean, no partner?”

“Yup, no partner. Single Pringle.”

“Will you be my Val?” He asked her abruptly.

She almost choked on the wine that was in her mouth when he uttered the question. She placed the glass on the table and laughed. “What? Are you twelve? Who asks such a question?”

He scratched his head. “Well, I just did.”

Biko, biko,” she waved him off with her hand. “Don’t kill me with laughter today.”

Just then, Sam walked into the living room. “What are we talking about today?” He picked the last glass in the tray and poured himself some wine. He sat on the floor, at Chizoba’s foot and rested his back on the chair. She glared at him and he glared back. “I’m still waiting to know what’s making you laugh so hard. I’ve been hearing your laughter since you came in.”

“So, you even knew I was here.” Chizoba sneered at him.

“Yes, but I’ve been—”

“Talking to Sandra,” she finished for him.

“Well…” he didn’t correct her. “Love is in the air. And Sandra makes me happy.”

“Aww,” Chizoba ruffled his hair. “That’s sweet. Speaking of love, your friend asked me to be his Val. Can you imagine that?” She laughed again.

“Really?” Sam grinned at Nonso. “Sharp guy.”

“Don’t encourage him,” Chizoba snapped.

“You better accept. Me, I have Sandra now. Don’t come and tell me you’re lonely on Valentine’s day.”

“Jesus is my Val.” She sulked.

Akuko,” Sam tittered. “Jesus will not come down from heaven. Go out and have fun.”

She waved him off again. “He’s probably joking. Let’s see how it goes.”

 

Nonso watched as Sam and Chizoba kept going back and forth about what he asked her and other things. He wasn’t joking, of course, but he didn’t correct her. She was a fun person and he really wanted to take her out and get to know her more. He hadn’t planned to ask her out, it just happened. Now, he had planted the idea in her head. He’d ask her again before the 14th. They all engaged in different discussions before she left.

The opportunity for him to ask her again came few days later when she came to the house. It was Tuesday, six days to the 14th. She was her usual, cheerful, opinionated self. She came over to drop something her mother had sent from the East for Sam.

Abacha.

Nonso thought of how he’d prepare Abacha the day after, once he got the ingredients. Sam hadn’t returned from work also. He decided to walk her out.

“You didn’t go out today?” She asked him as they strolled leisurely. It was twilight, the sunset cast an orange glow in the sky. It was a beautiful evening for a stroll. He liked that he was with her.

“Nah,” he replied, hands in his pocket. “Decided to rest today. Would resume my fun tomorrow.”

“Good for you,” she sighed. “I have loads to do this time. Can’t even take a break.”

“What about what I asked you?”

“What?” She looked at him.

“Ok, you’re going to make me ask again.”

She chuckled, “I really don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I asked if you would be my Val.”

“Oh, that?” She spread her arms wide. “Wait!” She paused in her tracks. “Are you serious?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” He paused too and looked at her.

She kept walking. “Why are you asking me to be your 'Val'?” She made quotation marks in the air when she said Val.

“Because I want you to be my Val. It’s that simple.”

“And it doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that you’re not in your usual place and you don’t have anyone else to spend the day with?”

“Need I remind you that I grew up here, Chizzy. I am not in need of company. I just want to take you out and spend some time with you.”

“Ok, you grew up here. It escaped my mind.” She put her hands up in surrender. “But you know I’m busy.”

“You’re not taking orders after Friday,” he countered.

“Jeez, you were listening to me.”

“Of course I was. Would you rather I didn’t listen to you when you talk?”

“No, no. I meant you remembered what I said on Saturday. Anyway, the fact that I’m not taking orders after Friday doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be busy this weekend. Valentine’s day is on Monday, the weekend is filled with baking and cooking and deliveries and—”

“And that day?” he interrupted her litany of excuses. “Are you busy on the 14th?”

“It’s a Monday.” She glared at him.

“Yes, it is. I’m not working that day and you are your own boss. Are you busy on the 14th?” He asked again.

She didn’t talk for a full minute. “You know what, Fuck it! I told myself that I wasn’t going to do anything that day other than make sure my orders leave my house in the morning. Then find something interesting to do. Going out sounds interesting. I’ll be your Val.”

Nonso smiled at her, “see, it wasn’t that hard.”

“Oh please,” she rolled her eyes at him. “Don’t make me change my mind.”

He laughed at that. “Where do you want to go?”

“You’re the one who wants to take me out so badly,” she cast him a sideways glance, “figure it out.”

“But I’m new in Lagos.” He feigned innocence.

“Mr. I-grew-up-in-Lagos, Figure. It. Out. This is where I tell you good night.” They had stopped in front of a building.

“So, this is where you live?” He looked up at the one-story building.

She rolled her eyes at him. “No, I just feel like staying here today.” She made to enter the compound.

He laughed, then remembered, “wait! Can I have your number?” He took out his phone from his pocket as she turned around to face him again. She took the phone from him when she was sure he had unlocked it and inputted her number.

“There.” She handed the phone back to him.

“I'll let you know what I decide before then.”

“Yeah, whatever.” She walked inside and left him laughing.

 

***

By Friday night, Chizoba was completely exhausted. She had stopped taking orders, but she was still very busy. She decided to rest before continuing her work. She took a quick shower and had a light dinner. She and her friends normally had a video call every Friday night. The call started while she was still having dinner. When she was done eating, she placed her plate in the sink and went to her bed. She stretched and yawned, then found the most comfortable spot on her bed and laid on it, her phone in her hand. Her friends were saying something, but she had zoned out a bit on them.

“Chizzy, are you even listening to us?” Kike asked.

“Don’t mind her, she’s using us to stretch,” Soludo eyed her.

She laughed, “sorry, guys. I’m just really tired, been on my feet almost all day. You know how it is this time na.”

“We know,” Soludo hissed. “Madam Baker and chef. Cupid herself.”

Ahan, Soludo,” Ini interjected. “What’s even your own? Is it our fault that you’re single?”

“I’m not the only single one here,” Soludo defended herself. “You’re the only one amongst us who’s in a relationship.”

“She’s engaged, Soludo,” Kike said, “not just in a relationship.”

“Same thing to me,” Soludo said and they all laughed.

“Speaking of relationships,” Chizoba started, “hmm, babes, I have a Val o.”

“Wow!” Ini shrieked in excitement. “Who?”

“Wait, first Ini, you like these kinda things,” Soludo interrupted. “When you say you have a Val, Chizzy, what do you mean?”

I mean that I have a date, at least that’s what I think it is, on Valentine’s day.”

“That sounds great,” Kike grinned. “It’s been a while any of us had such, except Ini of course.”

Ini just smiled and prompted Chizoba to say more.

“So, you guys remember Sam's friend, Nonso, right. The one I told you asked me to be his Val but I felt he was joking. Well, turns out he wasn’t joking and he really wants to take me out.”

“Aww, how romantic,” Ini put her hand on her chest and smiled.

Soludo smirked, “are you sure you want to go out with him?”

“What is even your own again, Soludo?” Ini frowned at her.

“I’m just being my sister’s keeper. One of us has to have sense na.” Soludo countered.

“Are you implying that I don’t have sense, Soludo?” Ini asked.

Haba na, Ini pie,” Soludo replied calmly. “I’m just saying you’re a hopeless romantic. Unlike us.”

“Who knows, maybe that’s why she has found love and we haven’t,” Chizoba added.

“Ladies, ladies, would y'all relax,” Kike, who was the most level headed amongst them said. “Chizzy, what do you think of Nonso?”

They all paid attention to Chizoba who was playing with her cornrows as she spoke. “Well, he’s really funny, that I know. I like being with him. He acts like a complete gentleman around me. He likes red wine as much as I do. He grew up here, but he is based in Abuja at the moment. Let’s not forget that he’s also good looking.”

“Uh-huh,” Ini clapped her hands together. “Just look at how she’s blushing and saying what she’s saying. Guys, she might be falling for him.”

“Ini, press brake na,” Soludo laughed. “It’s just the first date. I’m not the only one that heard he is based in Abuja, right?”

“No,” Kike said, “but like you said, it’s just the first date. They should get to know each other.”

“Maybe I am falling for him, I don’t know,” Chizoba said. “All I know is, I want to go out with him. And I will. I didn’t want to before cos I was skeptical. I tried to say no, I made excuses, but it didn’t deter him. Then I just realized that I got nothing to lose just going out with him. I'll just see how it goes.”

“It better be fun,” Soludo smiled. “Cos we’re gonna get all the details.”

“She already knows that,” Kike chipped in.

“And if he tries anything funny, we’ll break his head,” Soludo finished.

“Miss Vayolence,” Ini laughed at Soludo. “Chizzy, just have fun. Don’t mind that I said you might be falling for him. You both can even just be friends, the point is to enjoy each other’s company.”

“Thanks Ini pie,” Chizoba blew her a kiss.

“If he really likes you, you’ll get roses.” Ini added.

“Really?” Chizoba and Soludo asked together.

“Yes, Essien got me roses after our first date.”

“So?” Soludo asked.

“When a guy sends you flowers, he really likes you and you both might have a chance for something more. That was how I felt with Essien.”

“Aww, that sounds beautiful, Ini,” Kike said.

“True,” Soludo agreed. “But people are different.”

Chizoba said, “As I said, I’ll just see how things go. Doesn’t matter if I get roses.” She patted away a mosquito.  “Speaking of Essien, Ini, are you guys doing anything special?”

“Well, we’re just gonna see a movie on Sunday,” Ini replied, then widened her eyes like she remembered something important. “What are you going to wear, Chizzy?”

“Dunno, he hasn’t told me where we’re going,” Chizoba replied.

“What ever outfit you choose, let it have a touch of red, the color of the day,” Ini had a dreamy look in her eyes.

Soludo rolled her eyes. “That is so clichΓ©. She can wear whatever she wants to wear.”

“Soludo!” Ini shrieked.

“Ini!” Soludo smirked.

Chizoba and Kike laughed at them. They both argued more than anyone in their clique. It was adorable to watch them.

“I trust Chizzy knows what’s best for her,” Kike finally said.

“And trust Kike to always have the last word,” Ini sneered.

That caused another round of laughter.

“Guys, I gotta go. I have to be up later to continue baking,” Chizzy yawned.

“We’re all still up for next weekend, right?” Kike asked them.

They all nodded in affirmation and said their good nights to Chizoba. Before she retired for the night, she received a text from Nonso that read,

       “ Hi Chizzy, I know you’re extremely busy, but I hope you’re good. Anyway, dress casual for our date. We’ll be doing something fun. Can’t wait to see you. Sweet dreams.πŸŒ›✨”

She had a smile plastered to her face as she drifted into a peaceful sleep.



***

Nonso arrived at Chizoba's home with the Bolt that would take them to their date at about 3pm. He called her to meet him outside, then came out of the car to wait for her. She came out two minutes later looking like a pretty flower in her off-shoulder chiffon playsuit. It was white and had little purple flowers all over it. Her feet were adorned in a pair of purple sneakers. She was also wearing a black bob wig. He realized he hadn’t seen her on a wig since his visit.

“Hi you,” she smiled when she walked up to him. Her lips were a dark shade of pink.

“Hi,” he said, glaring at her.

“You’re staring at me, Nonso.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “I’m sorry. You just left me breathless.”

“That’s a good thing then.”

“That is a wonderful thing. You look amazing.”

“Thank you,” she replied. “You don’t look bad yourself.”

He grinned then. He had taken extra care in selecting his outfit. He was clad in a pair of black chinos trousers and a white Ralph Lauren shirt that he folded a bit around the wrists. He complemented his look with a black Timberland classic boat shoes.

“And your orders?”

“All out, most already delivered.”

“Good. Ready?” He asked her. She nodded in affirmation.  Placing his hand on the small of her back, he opened the car door for her to get in. He shut the door and went around to the other side to get in.

“So, where are we going?” She asked him as soon as the car moved.

“Here’s the plan. We’re going to Rufus and Bee at Lekki. I hope you like to play games?”

“I love games,” Chizoba looked really interested in his plan.

“Great, next phase of the plan is an early dinner. Do you like Chinese?”

“I have had Chinese before, but it’s been a while.”

“Perfect. I hear there’s a Chinese restaurant right above R and Bee; Chai Tang.”

“So?”

“So, we’re having dinner there.” He finished.

“The thought of food is already making me hungry,” she yawned.

“Don’t worry, I’ll feed you well.”

They laughed at that and talked about different things on the ride there. They got to Rufus and Bee in about 45 minutes. It was a Monday afternoon, people were still at work, so the Lagos traffic wasn’t bad. They made their way to Rufus and Bee on the second floor through an escalator. Rufus and Bee had always been a fun house for Chizoba and she planned to have just as much fun. It wasn’t crowded as she thought it would be. They had a little snack in the restaurant before purchasing tickets for the games.

They decided to race each other first in the car race. Chizoba sulked every time Nonso won her.

“It’s not fair,” she wailed. “How are you doing it?”

He made jest of her and she decided it was time to whop his ass in the basketball game. She kept getting double points and hardly missed a hoop. As she predicted, Nonso sulked at this development.

“Ha-ha! In your face, sucker!” She yelled every time she made her hoops and he didn’t. After spending a reasonable amount of time in the basketball area, she thought it was reasonable, at least, they decided to try the dancing game. It was fun following the dance moves, even though she was a terrible dancer. She missed a few steps, but it didn’t matter. All that mattered was the fun she was having with Nonso. After the dance, they made their way, hand in hand to a shooting game. Chizoba shot monsters that were trying to eat her. She bombed them. She shredded them to pieces with her big knives. She strangled them.

“Yes! Die losers!”

“Remind me never to offend you,” Nonso widened his eyes at her screen.

“You know I wouldn’t,” she grinned mischievously.

They engaged in other games, even Candy crush, that Chizoba had enough chips to win a little white teddy bear. Chizoba couldn’t remember the last time she was that entertained. Her girls would have their ears filled with what she’d tell them. And Sam too.

It was about 6pm when they made their way to Chai Tang. They choose a table close to the window which gave them an unending view of the blue Atlantic. Nonso order a bottle of red wine that they sipped while perusing the menu. Chizoba decided to peruse him while his head was buried in the menu. He looked nice, as usual. She couldn’t help but smile when he raised his head and caught her in the act.

“You’re staring at me, Chizzy.”

“I know,” she gave a wry smile. “Thank you, Nonso.”

He placed the menu on the table and asked her, “what are you thanking me for?”

She spread her arms wide, “for this. I haven’t had this much fun in a while. Yeah, once in a while I hang out with my girls, but this,” she paused for effect, “this is by far the best date I’ve ever been on.”

He placed his hand over her hand and smiled. “Thank you for accepting to go on a date with me. I guess that cancels it out.”

She chuckled, “I guess so.”

Nonso signaled for the waiter and they placed their orders. Chizoba ordered chow mein and Nonso went for the special fried rice. The food was delicious.

“This is great,” Chizoba said, in between bites.

“I’m glad you like it.”

They watched the sun set on the ocean from their window, whilst enjoying the romantic music in the restaurant. Chizoba took a few shots of the ocean and some selfies with Nonso. More people had started to arrive in the restaurant for their dinner dates. Chizoba was glad that they were done before the crowd started trooping in. They made their way down the tower and ordered a bolt that would take them home. Nonso took her hand in his and she didn’t object. She even leaned in on him and enjoyed his warmth, her teddy bear in hand.

“The night is still young,” Nonso said while they stood hand in hand, waiting for their ride, “do you want to do anything else?”

Chizoba rested her head on his shoulder, “we could see a movie. At home.”

He put his arm round her. “Movies it is then.”

The Bolt arrived and they made their way to Yaba. There was traffic, but fortunately, it wasn’t also bad. They arrived at her place around 8pm. Chizoba chose a movie on her laptop for them. She got out some cake that they could snack on as they enjoyed their movie. The movie ended and it was finally time for Nonso to leave. She walked him outside her compound and looked at her feet when he turned to look at her.

“Today was great, Chizzy. I had fun.” He took her hand again.

“I did too.” She couldn’t believe it. Why was she suddenly shy? She felt like a 17 year old with a huge crush. Ok, she just admitted it to herself. She liked Nonso a lot.

He put her hair behind her ear and she raised her head to look at him. “Can I take you out again?”

“Yes,” she blurted.

“Great then,” Nonso chuckled. He pulled her to himself and wrapped her in an embrace. She was still lost in it when he planted a kiss on her forehead. “Good night, Chizzy.” He pulled away from her.

“Good night, Nonso.”

As he walked away, he said, “I noticed how you don’t object to me calling you Chizzy anymore.” Then he turned to wink at her.

She rolled her eyes at him and turned away to go inside, a smile threatening to break away. She replayed the day in her head a million times before she went to bed. Her night was also filled with dreams of a certain young man she hadn’t planned to like. The next morning, she was awakened by a call. She ignored her phone the first time, but it rang again. Couldn’t people call anytime but the morning?

“Hello?” she grumbled with sleepy eyes.

“Good morning, am I speaking with Miss Chizoba Eneh?” the caller asked.

She rubbed her eyes and wished it wasn’t a client. “Yes, you are.”

“Ok Ma’am. I’m outside your house. I have a package for you.”

She sat up abruptly. “Package? What package?”

“It’s a package from Mr. Nonso Okafor,” the caller replied.

“Oh!” She gasped.

“If you could please come out to get it, I’m by a delivery van.”

“I’ll be out in a minute.” She put on a robe over her nightie quickly, washed her face and dashed outside to meet the delivery personnel. The name on the van had something to do with flowers.

Oh shit!

Could it be possible?

 She got flowers!

She signed the form that proved the package had been delivered to her and the man handed her a bouquet of red roses and a heart shaped card. She bolted for her apartment immediately. Her home immediately smelled of sweet scented roses. She found a vase in her kitchen, filled it with water and placed the roses in them.

 She gasped again. “Oh my gosh!”

She finally read the note that came with the flowers.

Dear Chizzy, thank you for a wonderful time. Can’t wait to see you again. I hope these roses make you smile. Have a wonderful day! 🌹

Nonso.

She put her nose on the roses and inhaled them. “Aww. I got roses!” She shrieked.

She picked up her phone immediately to text Nonso that she got the roses. She’d call him after she placed a very important call. After sending the text, she called Ini.

“Guess what, Ini. I got roses!” she shrieked. “I think there could be something more!”



 


Comments

  1. The perfect story for Valentine. Beautiful work Liv. Can't wait for subsequent parts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoshaaa😍😍😍 thank you for reading darling

      Delete
  2. Long read but beautiful. Make I begin save money for Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece, l always enjoy all of your stories.
    Good work πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  4. Professionally scripted, wow. This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story. You should learn not to teach us to love abeg. Teach us to make money. Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ people make money in different ways. Happy Valentine's day dear

      Delete
  6. Wow!!!! This is amazing and a good piece

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II