Coincidence VI

 

Photo: From Google

“Hashtags Saturdays are for weddings,” was a common trend in Nigeria. Lagos wasn’t left out of it. It had started to feel like the entire single population of Nigeria was all getting married at the same time. Amara had forgotten she had agreed to accompany Olaitan to a wedding the Saturday she was supposed to have dinner with Luc. She almost screamed when Olaitan reminded her during the week. She wrinkled her nose as Olaitan reiterated that it was her brother’s wife’s cousin’s wedding and how fun it was going to be. And she began to question why she had agreed to go at all. Olaitan wasn’t going to take no for an answer, so Amara settled in her mind that she would be stressed that day. Her dinner was at 7 pm. She would attend the wedding with Olaitan, leave early and make it back for her date. Her problem was she didn’t want to be tired before her date. Lagos traffic would do that to you. And the wedding was in Yaba.

“It’s a big owambe, somebody’s son can find you there,” Olaitan smirked at her, “that is if he hasn’t found you yet.”

She laughed nervously. Olaitan was a wonderful person, but she wasn’t ready to tell her about Luc. Luc was Daramola’s friend. Daramola was her boss who had asked her out countless times. That week, it had been more pronounced that he wanted her.

“You know you’re very beautiful, Amara,” he said to her in his office.

“Thank you, Sir,” she replied flatly.

“I’ve told you to stop calling me sir.”

“But you’re my boss,” she had reasoned with him.

“Well, yes, but I’m not even 10 years older than you and you calling me sir makes me feel old.”

She hadn’t responded to that.

“Let me take you out, buy you dinner.” He cajoled.

“Thank you, Sir— Daramola, but I’m not sure that’s a good idea.”

“Why?” He walked over to where she sat and perched his ass on the desk opposite her. She thought she couldn’t breathe.

“I have a boyfriend,” she blurted out. It wasn’t entirely a lie. Was it?

“So?” Daramola had smiled. “It doesn’t matter. You keep your boyfriend and you and I can have our fun.”

“Excuse me?” She couldn’t believe her ears.

“Amara, you know what I’m talking about.”

“Sorry, Sir, but I don’t. If you’d excuse me, I have to get back to work.” She bolted for the door. She didn’t breathe well till she got to her office. Olaitan had scrutinized her, but she revealed nothing of the encounter with her, or with anyone. She was the supposed HR, if she was sexually harassed by her boss, she would have to file it herself, right? Anyway, it hadn’t gotten out of hand yet. She could handle it.

Olaitan worked with her. God bless her soul, but she might spill the beans of her date with Luc unintentionally to Daramola, and Amara didn’t want Daramola to know she didn’t have a boyfriend yet, let alone who it was. Well, at least until the guy was hers. Completely.

“Thank God it wasn’t farther on the mainland,” Ngozi said to Amara on the phone bringing her to the present. It was past 4 pm and she was sitting in the Uber taking her home from the wedding.

“I can’t rest when I get home. I’d have to shower, pick my dress and start another journey to your house. Before going to his.”

“Is it my fault that you can’t make up to save your life?”

“Zii! Amara exclaimed. “I told you I would do it myself. But you vehemently refused.”

“Yes, I did,” Ngozi concurred. “I can’t have you looking like a masquerade on your first date with him.”

Amara rolled her eyes at her.

“I know you just eyed me,” Ngozi said.

“Hurray!” Amara feigned excitement. “She knows me so well.”

Ngozi laughed cheerily. “How was the wedding though?”

“Oh, it was great. I met some of Laitan’s family. And she also tried matchmaking me with a cousin of hers. Anyway, I managed to free myself on time.” She paused for dramatic effect. “Also, I did the makeup myself and no one said I looked like a masquerade!”

“Amara! Sorry that I just want you looking extra pretty tonight.” Ngozi also just wanted to make sure Amara wore the dress she had paid for her some time ago.

Amara waved her hand in the air. “It’s just gonna be a light makeup Zii. I don’t want to stain his shirt with contour when I hug him.”

“Or leave your lipstick on his shirt,” Ngozi smirked.

“Zii!” Amara said in a hushed tone. Peeking at the Uber driver, she realized he was more concerned with driving than her conversation with her friend. “I’m with company. You can’t say things like that.”

“Amara and Luc sitting on his car, K I S S I N G,” Ngozi sang.

Amara laughed heartily at the teasing. They talked some more as the car made its way to Amara’s home. Paying the driver, she dashed into her house. She ignored more teasing from Amuche and her mother, and she prepared as quickly as possible.

“Don’t wait up for me,” she said to Amuche at the door.

“Have fun,” Amuche said sincerely. “And be a good girl.”

Amara scoffed, “I’m always a good girl. Tell mummy I’ll be over at Zii’s. Don’t have time to explain to her where I’m going exactly.”

“I gotcha,” Amuche enclosed her in a bear hug. “Now, get outta here.”

Amara smiled at her, then dashed out of the house again. She checked the time on her wristwatch, it was almost 5:30 pm. She had already ordered another Uber to Ngozi’s place. The ride was about 30 minutes.

Her makeover was done in silence, which was difficult for both of them. Anyway, they managed a light makeup. And Amara wore her blue dress.

“My God, Amara,” Ngozi exclaimed. “You look breathtaking.”

Amara smiled, feeling self-conscious. “Stop it, I just look good. As usual.”

“You’re my girl, and I would never lie to you. So believe me when I say, you don’t look your usual pretty. This is some next-level shit.”

Amara chuckled, “language, young lady.”

Ngozi scoffed, “pot calling the kettle black. Abi is it kettle calling pot black?” Confused, she scratched her chin. “Wo, Wole Soyinka, sorry.”

Ngozi picked up her phone and took unaware pictures of Amara as she ordered the Uber that would take her to Luc’s. Amara didn’t want to think of how much she had spent that day on all the Uber rides. She raised her head and found Ngozi still taking shots of her.

Smiling, she asked, “Zii, how many pictures have you taken of me?”

“A million. My WhatsApp and IG stories will hear it today.”

About a minute later, Amara’s phone rang. Her Uber driver was now available. “My ride is here. Where are my shoes?” She dug out her pair of silver slippers from her overnight bag.  “I’ll be back before 11.”

“My door is always open for you whenever you get back, dear,” Ngozi said to her. “Just enjoy yourself.”

“Well,” Amara said, slipping the slipper on her feet, “that’s the plan.” She stood upright and admired herself in the mirror in Ngozi’s room. “I do look fabulous.”

“Now, you’re smug. I like it.” Ngozi grinned.

Ngozi walked Amara to the Uber. She watched as the Uber drove away and smiled to herself. “Don’t mess things up this time, Lucas.”

 

***

“I can’t mess this up,” Luc said to himself as he set the table for dinner. Amara had called him a few minutes ago to tell him she was on her way to his place. He wanted to ask her where she was coming from. Her house or Ngozi’s. For all he knew, she practically lived in two places. Anyway, without much ado, he had taken a shower and dressed. He decided a white shirt and a pair of black trousers would be nice enough for dinner. He microwaved the dinner of coconut rice and took the salad out of the fridge. Dessert was ice cream and croissants, which he still left in the fridge. He also took out a bottle of Lamothe Parrot, his favorite red wine, and set it on the dining table, with two wine glasses. He set and reset the plates and cutleries, the candles and flowers a million times before he was satisfied with the arrangement. Standing, he admired his work. “I should open a restaurant of my own if I ever get tired of pressing computers.” He checked the time on his phone, it was 7:15 pm. Women would always be a tad late. His line of thought was cut short when his phone rang in his hand. He smiled as he picked up the call.

“Hey you,” he said.

“Hi, so I think I’m at your place,” Amara said from the other end of the line.

Feeling a little naughty, Luc asked, “is the color of the building pink?”

Ehn,” Amara started. “Pink ke? Anyway, everywhere is dark, maybe the building is pink in daylight.”

Lucas chuckled. “I’m stepping out now.” He cut the call. Taking the air freshener he always kept, he sprayed the living room and the dining room before he stepped out to find Amara. He lived on the ground floor, it didn’t take long before he spotted her at the gate. And then his heart stopped. She looked like she blended with the night in her midnight blue dress. It had a silver halter strap neckline and an A-line skirt design. It stopped somewhere on her knee. She wore a pair of silver slippers. They weren’t too high, just comfortable enough to make her look as magical as she did. Her face was pretty, as usual. And she wore the blonde wig he liked on her.

Amara cleared her throat. “Lucas?”

He blinked, “what?”

“You’ve not uttered a word since you stepped out. And you’re staring at me.”

“Oh, it’s not my fault that you’re this gorgeous.” He moved closer to her. “I apologize for keeping you waiting for a few seconds, but I won’t apologize for staring.” He took her into his hands and kissed her on the cheek. “Hi.”

Amara was floating in a galaxy with stars. “Hi you!” She said dreamily.

“Let’s get you inside.” He took her hand in his and they sauntered to his apartment. Stepping in, Amara was greeted with wonderful smells that excited her olfactory lobes. She could perceive lavender, then delicacies. “Smells really nice in here.”

“Thanks, I guess,” Luc said, locking his door.

She let him guide her to a couch and she admired his living room. His place was so beautiful.

“Welcome to my place,” he said to her.

“It’s really nice. I like it.”

“That’s two things you like already this night, and the night hasn’t even started.”

“Oohhh,” She grinned. “What do you have in store for me?”

“First of all, are you hungry?”

“Famished.”

“Let’s get you filled up, shall we?” He stretched out his hand and she took it. Pausing just a bit so he could turn on some music, he guided her to the dining room. He had the satisfaction of hearing her gasp as she took in the scenery.

 


Amara didn’t know what she was expecting when he said he’d cook for her. Ok, she was expecting food. But not in this exquisite way. The dining room lighting was dim, and light shot out from sweet scenting candles on the dining table. She noticed two slender flower vases housing red roses on the two sides of the table. The table was set for two. There were two flat ceramic plates placed at the two sides of the table. A large bowl, which was covered, was at the center. There were also two smaller bowls at the center. The bottle of wine at the center too gave off a different and sweet vibe. Two glasses rested at the side, as well as the cutleries.

“Wow! Luc, this is, this is…”

Pulling out a chair for her, he said, “maybe you should sit.”

She obliged, still stunned at the scene before her. “It’s magical. Looks like a scene from a romantic novel.” She finally managed to say.

“I’m glad you like it. Wine?” Luc sat too

“Yes, please.”

Luc uncorked the wine and poured wine in the two glasses.

“Cheers,” he said, lifting his glass.

“To what?” Amara asked.

Luc thought for a second, “just to us.”

“To us then and to coincidences.” Amara touched her glass to his.

Luc gave a lopsided grin. “I’ll definitely drink to coincidences.”

Amara sipped her wine. “This is nice.”

“I know right. It’s my favorite red wine. Immediately I had a taste of it at a friend’s party, I got hooked.”

“I guess I’m hooked too.”

“I’m glad I championed the initiation.”

“Mekibe…”

“Have I told you I love when you call me by my Igbo name?”

“No, you haven’t.”

“Well, I love it,” he took her hand across the table and caressed the back of her palm with his thumb.

“It’s a nice name.”

“It sounds better in your voice.”

She giggled.

“Now, you said you were famished.” He opened the large bowl first and the aroma of coconut rice danced in the air.

“Coconut rice. Yay!” Amara clapped her hands together. She watched him dish rice for her, then himself. He opened the two smaller bowls and dished chicken and salad from them. He didn’t have his glasses on, she decided to tease him.

“Are you sure you can see me?”

“What?” he asked, a little confused.

“You’re not wearing your glasses,” she tried to swallow her laughter. “Can you see me?”

He chuckled. “Very funny, Amara.”

“But seriously,” She said, making a peace sign. “How many fingers?”

“Are you sure you’re hungry?” Luc smirked at her. “Dinner can wait.”

“No please,” She chucked. She couldn’t hold the laughter anymore. She laughed wholeheartedly. She hadn’t realized how relaxed she was until now. All the stress of the day suddenly vanished in this moment. She was grateful for this moment. And for this guy.

“When you said dinner, I wasn’t expecting a feast.”

“Let it not be said that Amara and I had dinner and I starved her.”

“It will never be said,” Amara picked up her cutlery and eyed the plate in front of her. Then she looked up at him. “I’d like to say grace, if it’s ok by you.”

“It’s very ok. I need to thank God for bringing you into my life.”

Amara brushed off his statement by a chuckle, then said a little prayer. She dug in, then rolled her eyes.

“Luc, are you sure you made this?” She took another spoon of rice.

He didn’t answer, just watched her feast. He picked up his own cutlery and dug in. Well, he cooked it, but the rice was actually nice.

“Luc, you didn’t buy this from a restaurant and arrange it like you made it, right?”

“Now that hurt my feelings,” Luc touched his chest as if a sword pierced him.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I was just—”

“It’s ok, was just pulling your legs.” Luc cackled. “I made it. From scratch to finish.”

“You’re an amazing cook,” Amara said, between mouthfuls.

“Thank you!”

“You should open a restaurant. You’d sell out.”

“Funny how I thought of that just this night.”

“Like minds think alike,” Amara tapped her temple.

“Well, there’s dessert. So you might want to take it easy with the rice.”

“There’s more? Lucas Mekibedinma Maduka, I think your plan is to enchant me tonight.”

“Is it working?” He asked, his eyes were on her. He waited for her to lock her eyes with his. She did, and he held her gaze.

“It definitely is,” she said huskily. She tore her eyes from his and concentrated on her meal. They finished the rice and she offered to clear the table with him. She took plates and bowls to the kitchen. She was about to do the dishes when he pulled her away from the sink.

“You’re not supposed to do that.”

“But I want to,” she leaned into him.

“Maybe after dessert,” he traced lines on her cheek with his index finger. She was petite and he liked how she fit perfectly against. She put her head down, avoiding his eyes. He tilted his head to the right.

“Are you shy with me right now?”

“Maybe.”

“That’s very hard to believe. You have never been shy around me.”

“Well, tonight I am,” she laughed nervously.

He put his finger under her jaw and raised her head to his. Her mouth was just a few inches away from him. He was a few inches away from…

He didn’t finish the thought because he found his lips crushed on hers and every thought vanished. Her lips were soft. He took his time, tasting her lips, then he parted her lips with his tongue. She let him in with no hesitation and a moan escaped from her throat. That undid him. He wanted to explore every corner of her mouth slowly. And she tasted of wine, sweet wine. And maybe chicken. Then there was her own taste, he couldn’t really place the taste, but it was heavenly. Their tongues connected and he had to hold on to something. He placed his hands on her cheeks. He felt her tiny fingers curl round his neck, before he placed his hand in the small of her back and pulled her closer. They enjoyed each other for a while, then he heard her laugh.

“What?” he asked her huskily, caressing her hair.

“I’ve wanted to do this since Morning Dew.”

He raised his head up and looked at her. “What? Like, what?”

“Maybe this might be the best time to tell you I had a huge crush on you in Morning Dew. But you were with Beverly.”

“Wow!” He was a bit flabbergasted. He took her to the fridge, taking out the ice cream and croissants, he said, “this story needs dessert. Tell me everything.”

Amara giggled like a school girl as Luc handed her a plate of ice cream. He took his and the platter of croissants and they started to the living room. She followed him, her mind still a bit jumbled by the kiss.

The kiss was divine!

Ok, he’s handsome. Then he’s sexy. Then he’s a great cook. Now he’s a pretty good kisser. She was in serious trouble. If she wasn’t in love with him already, she was going to fall fast. Now he wanted to hear about her crush on him in secondary school. He placed what he carried on the center table. Taking a side table, he put it in front of the large couch. He picked his plate of ice cream and placed it on the side table. She followed his lead.

“I think we forgot the spoons.” He dashed into the kitchen and came back with spoons.

“Yours,” he handed her a spoon. “You may sit, Amara.”

They sat, facing each other on the couch as they scooped ice cream.

“So, you were saying.” He nudged her to continue.

“You wouldn’t let this one slide.”

“You were the one who interrupted our kiss with the confession. Who am I to let it slide?”

“Ok. It’s just basic. I liked you since my Jss3 and you were in SS2. You had this serious look on your face always and you were cute with that serious look. We went on the junior waec break and I thought the crush would die. I resumed SS1 and I saw you again and I knew that the crush wasn’t going anywhere any time soon.

“Then you had started frequenting my class with visits. We both knew who you were coming to see. I willed you to look at me for just a brief moment in my head, but your eyes were for one person. I had to ask someone if the both of you were dating and my fears were confirmed. I know I went home to cry that day.” She laughed a bit. “It wasn’t funny then, but it was funny later. Me crying over a boy who never saw me.”

“I see you now.” Luc said.

“I know. Finally.”

He laughed. “I don’t know how I didn’t notice such an amazing person those years ago.”

“Maybe I wasn’t amazing then. Anyway, you had a girlfriend, even though she’s something else, you shouldn’t have been looking elsewhere.”

“Well, you’re my girlfriend now. And—” He paused when he saw her stop her ice cream half way to her mouth. “I shouldn’t have said it that way. Uhm, I’d like you to be my girlfriend, if it’s ok by you? Yes, this should be the way I should ask that.” He took a scoop of his ice cream to cover his anxiety.

She didn’t respond. Instead, She placed her ice cream on the table, collected his and placed it on the table too. Then she kissed him. She had wanted his lips on hers again since the first kiss ended, few minutes ago. She didn’t take her time, like he did. She wasn’t fast or demanding, but she took as much as she gave. He tasted of vanilla and strawberries. His tongue was cold and hot at the same time. This was definitely better than the first kiss. Just how good could the kisses get?

“Does that answer your question?” She broke the kiss and looked him straight in the eyes. A smirk on her face.

“I think I’m really lucky that you’re my girl.”

She laughed genuinely and went back to her ice cream. They finished their ice cream, washed the dishes and arranged everywhere while they talked about anything and everything and stole kisses. Time went by as well.

“Pfft, why does time fly when you’re having the best moments?” She wailed.

“I don’t know who to ask that.” They were now cuddling on the couch.

“I have to go before it gets too late.”

“I understand.”

She got up and decided to use the restroom while Luc got his car keys.

Luc pulled up at Ngozi's house, unstrapping his seat belt, he opened his door and walked over to get Amara’s door.

“How very gentlemanly of you,” Amara teased him, stepping out of the car.

Luc smiled. “Thanks for an amazing evening.”

“I think I should be thanking you.” She said. “I ate so much food and dessert.”

He chuckled, “get used to it, babe. When am I seeing you again?” He caressed her cheek.

She spoke before she had time to think. “Ngozi’s birthday party is soon.”

“Oh no!”

“What?” She frowned.

“The last time I was at something related to her, you didn’t speak to me for almost a week.”

“That had nothing to do with Ngozi,” She snickered. “That was your fault.”

“Still, I think I have PTSD.” Luc groaned and pulled her closer to himself.

She laughed genuinely. “That is probably your punishment. But, Ngozi’s birthday party is gonna be fun.”

“Where?”

“Details will be relayed to you soon. So, are you game?”

He raised an eyebrow. “When’s the birthday? I have a feeling if I don’t send a wish she’ll murder me at her party.”

“She’s not so bad,” Amara defended her friend. “She even likes you now.” She added, laughing.

“Yeah, right.” He put his palm over his mouth and whispered. “I still feel like if I as much as breathe in something other than oxygen around you, she’ll skin me alive.”

“That’s freaking hilarious.” Amara doubled over, holding her belly.

Luc loved to see her laugh. It made him extremely happy. “Anyway, the party is a gathering of people. I asked when I can see just you alone.”

“Well, we could always plan that,” She put her hands behind his neck and pulled his mouth down to hers. It still felt like it was the first time she was kissing him and she let herself enjoy the kiss. “I can’t seem to get enough of kissing you.”

He grinned down at her, “was this supposed to be a goodnight kiss or—”

“An appetizer. The main good night kiss is about to start—"

“Ahem!”

Like two teenagers caught sneaking around, they spun to the direction of the cough and spotted Ngozi glaring at them.

“Zii!” Amara put her hand on her chest. “What are you doing?”

“How?” Ngozi asked. “You’re the ones kissing in front of my house.”

“Of course you saw us kissing,” Amara snorted.

“Duh, is the sky dark now?”  Ngozi smirked.

“How did you even sneak up on us?”

“Oh, I saw you guys kissing and I didn’t want the gate to interrupt. So, I actually opened the gate slowly so it wouldn’t make a sound and, voila! I’m here.” Ngozi grinned at them.

“And then you were the one that interrupted the kiss,” Amara said.

“Of course it had to be me.”

“How much of what I said did she hear?” Luc bent over to speak into Amara’s ear.

“I don’t know,” she whispered back.

“Why are you both whispering?” Ngozi’s grin disappeared.

“Nothing!” they both answered.

Ngozi sighed, “I saw the car pull up. I waited for you to come inside. Then I waited. And waited. And I got tired of waiting and decided to come out to see what the delay was.” She sneered. “Clearly I understand what it is now.”

“You certainly didn’t wait that long, Zii,” Amara said flatly.

“You’re right, I just wanted to spy on you guys.”

“And that’s not creepy at all,” Luc added.

“Hi Lucas,” Ngozi said to him.

“Hi Zii,” Luc said. “I hear your birthday is soon.”

Ngozi looked briefly at her friend and knew without asking that she had invited him for the party.

“Yes, it’s on Wednesday actually, but I’ve decided to have the party on Saturday. Just a little boat cruise. I’m sure Amara has already invited you.”

“Yes, she did,” Luc answered, then stuttered. “Di- did you say a boat cruise?”

Ngozi grinned, “go big or nothing. It’s my silver jubilee.”

“That’s gonne be one hell of a party.”

“It sure is,” Ngozi stepped closer to them and pulled Amara to herself. “I’m sure I’ll see you Saturday.”

Luc almost laughed, Ngozi was subtly telling him to get lost. “Of course you will. Have a goodnight Ngozi.” He wasn’t going to be intimidated by her now though. He stepped closer to Amara and kissed her on her lips. “Goodnight, Crystal.”

“Goodnight,” Amara cooed.

It was when Luc had driven off that Ngozi spoke to the love struck Amara. “Crystal? Really?”

Amara looked at her, dumbfounded. “What? Crystal is my name.”

“Oh you’re super smitten.”

“Tell me something I don’t already know.”

Ngozi grinned, “you’re the one to tell me something and everything about your date.”

“Oh, it was magical, Zii.”

“Aww,” Ngozi stroked Amara’s arm and put her arm in the crook of her elbow. “I know it was magical. You’re practically glowing.”

“I am, aren’t I?”

“Yes ma, let’s get inside though. We don’t want to give the neighbors something more to gossip about.”

They both laughed and sauntered into the compound.

“I’m listening. Spill everything!” Ngozi said, immediately they stepped into her apartment.

“So, first of all. I have a boyfriend!”

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I love this story! Please don't let anything bad happen🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally with you on this... I'm loving all of it

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

Dare to Dance

My Sister's wedding II