Electricity

 


Her POV:

I stared at him. I couldn’t help myself. He was a beauty to behold. How does he always look like a Greek god? I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

“Ouch!” I hissed. I forgot that my friends always told me my pinch was painful. I rubbed on the spot on my arm I had pinched and remind-blowingusal of him.

The good thing about this?

He couldn’t see me. Or he hadn’t noticed me. So, I was enjoying every bit of it. He sat some tables away from me and was too busy with his ice cream and whatever it was he was doing on his phone. His skin was like caramel, smooth and lush, even from this distance. He wore a white shirt, with the sleeves folded to the elbows. A button or two was left unbuttoned and I could spot a little flesh. I am crazy, so, of course, I spotted the black pair of chinos trousers that hugged his lower body. He had a perfect haircut too.

And his face.

Oh my goodness!

His face was beautiful. A work of art. God dey create abeg. He had perfect eyes. And pink lips. He had a perfectly trimmed beard. I suddenly realized I used the word perfect a lot to describe him. Nobody should be this perfect. Oh, did I forget to say that his shoes were a pair of brown loafers? Well, they were. And perfect too. His wristwatch was black. I couldn’t tell the make. I wasn’t bothered.

I took a scoop of my ice cream and enjoyed the cold feel of it as it went down my throat. I had a very wild thought as I watched him lick his spoon just then. I got transported to the scene in Bridgerton where Daphne watched Simon lick his spoon. I was drooling now. It was like electricity.

“Jeez, Sopuru!” I scolded myself. “What is wrong with you?” I shook my head and concentrated on my ice cream.

Today was the third time I was running into him at the ice cream shop. And all were Friday evenings. The second Friday I had come, I had hoped to see him. And I did see him. This Friday, I was so sure I would see him. I had this conviction that he came every Friday. It might just be his way of cooling off after a long week. I sighed. This was like the first time I saw him, all over again. That first Friday, I always bumped into the person in front of me in the line when he walked into the shop. That day, he had worn a denim shirt. It took everything in me to tear my gaze away from him. That same jolt of electricity was still coursing through my veins.

I decided to steal another glance at him. And I almost dropped my spoon. Just as I glanced in his direction, he raised his head from his phone and our eyes met. I felt the jolt of electricity travel down my spine. I quickly tore my eyes away from his. I could still remember the intensity of it as I quickly finished my ice cream. I swore that I wasn’t gonna stare at him again till I left. Speaking of leaving, I was waiting for my friend, Nina. She should have arrived since I wondered where she was. Just as I was about to take out my phone to call her, she sat opposite me.

“Nina!” I exclaimed. “You startled me.”

“Sorry,” She sighed, slamming her black bag on the table. “I am sorry I am late. I couldn’t get off work as early as I thought.”

“It’s ok,” I smiled at her. “I’d just have to watch you take your ice cream.”

“I am not interested in the ice cream,” she said. “I want us to go get drinks!”

I laughed, “Drunk!”

“Oh please, it’s the freaking weekend. I’m allowed to enjoy myself,” She spread her arms. “I look too good to be sitting in an ice cream shop.”

“Well, you do look amazing,” I perused my friend. She had a nice red off-shoulder gown on, with a pair of black sneakers. She went home first cos there’s no way she went to work in something that skimpy.

“Is he here?” She asked.

“Who?” I feigned ignorance.

“Ha-ha! Very funny!” She narrowed her eyes at me.

I took out my phone from my bag and pretended to text someone.

“Sopuruchi!” Nina hissed at me. “The reason we’re here is cos of Mr. Greek god. So, have you spoken to him yet?”

“Oh please, Nina,” I cowered. “I am not as brave as you are to walk up to a guy to tell him I like him.”

“Where is he?” She asked me.

“Your 3 o’clock.”

She spun her head in the direction and I realized when she spotted him. I saw her smile and I had to look at him. He was done with his ice cream now and was speaking on the phone with someone.

“Damn girl!” Nina explained. “That man is fiiiine.”

“Now you understand why I’m paralyzed looking at him.”

“And I bet he knows he has that effect on girls.”

“How can you tell?” I asked her, interested.

“Fine guys know this,” she said absentmindedly. “Still, you should talk to him and end your torture.”

“I am not in torture,” I protested.

“You talk about him everyday,” she smirked. “You dream about him. Girl, you are in torture. Speak to him and get it over with. If he digs you, fine, if he doesn’t, still fine.”

“I don’t know what to say,” I frowned.

“Say the first thing that comes to your mind,” she offered.

“You’re so beautiful?” I offered.

“Maybe not the first thing that comes to your mind,” Nina grimaced.

I sighed.

“Look, you probably just have a few minutes,” she said, jerking her head to his direction. “He looks like he’s about to leave.”

 I saw that he was already standing. “You have been lucky seeing him thrice. Don’t waste the opportunity. You don’t know if you’ll see him again.”

Ok, that was enough to fuel me with courage. I might go crazy if I never get this chance again. Phew! I took in a deep breath and stood abruptly.

“Let’s go!” I pulled Nina to her feet.

“What? No! I said you should go, not me,” Nina protested.

“We’re gonna act like we’re leaving too. Wish me luck,” I said to Nina, still tugging her towards my Greek god.

“Good luck!” Nina said. “You got this. Just be you. But why do I have to come with you?”

I counted from 1-100 in my head as I approached him, completely ignoring Nina’s protests.

“Hi,” I said as soon I got to him by the door. It looked like we were all leaving the ice cream shop at the same time. Perfect

“Hi,” he replied, looking at me.

Oh my! Those eyes are on me again. And his voice. Talk about perfection again. He was tall too. Looking at him this close was the best thing happening to me this evening. I composed myself in milliseconds.

“Sorry to bother you, but I know I’d not forgive myself if I don’t ask. What’s your fragrance?” I asked him.

I could feel Nina stiffen beside me.

He gave me a toothy smile, “It’s Christian Dior’s Fahrenheit.”

“Oh really,” I said, genuinely intrigued. “You smell nice.” I smiled at him too.

I wasn’t lying. It might have been an excuse to talk to him, but he smelled divine. Talk about good-looking and smelling nice. This guy was ticking off some of my boxes.

“Thank you,” he grinned.

“You’re welcome,” I said. “I’m Sopuruchi, by the way. This is my friend, Nina.”

He stuck out his hand to shake me, “I am Ugonna. Nice to meet you, Sopuru.” And he faced Nina, “nice to meet you too, Nina.”

Nina, who had been silent through the encounter smiled as she shook his hand, “Nice to meet you, Ugonna.”

“We were just on our way to have some drinks,” I blurted out.

“After ice cream?” he chuckled.

“Well, Sopuru had ice cream, I want drinks,” Nina replied.

He chuckled again, then became serious. “Do you girls mind if I go with you? I am new in the area and coming here Friday evenings is just something to pass time.

“Err, we don’t mind,” I said, then looked at Nina, “We don’t mind, right?”

“Sure, you can join us, Ugonna,” Nina concurred.

I couldn’t believe it. Here I was, scared to talk to him, and he wants to hang out with my friend and me. My luck was really good.

His POV:

The bar we came to wasn’t far from the ice cream shop. It had the best lighting and scenery. I watched Sopuru and Nina talk, then partook in the conversation whenever I could. It was nice to be included in something again. For the first time in a month, except maybe at the office, I felt genuinely pleased with the people around me. I stole a glance at Sopuru while she whispered something to Nina. She was beautiful. I remembered seeing her at the ice cream shop last Friday. Seeing her again today was perfect. Her hair was in a bun, so I could see all the features of her delicate face. She had no makeup on, and yet, she glowed. She wore a pink T-shirt, that was all I could notice then. It was when she was beside me I noticed her black shorts and black sandals. I could still remember the moment our eyes met for the first time at the ice cream shop not too long ago. The intensity of it sent waves down my spine. She tore her eyes away from me and I felt a little disappointed. I had wanted to talk to her then and had even mustered the courage to when Nina walked in. It was like my ball got deflated.

I wasn’t one to just walk up to a girl I thought was beautiful, except we had a reason to talk, but Sopuru had drawn me to herself. I couldn’t explain the connection. My phone had rung then. I picked it up to speak to my friend, Mike, who had called to know how I was settling into the area. Feeling like I’d still get a chance to talk to Sopuru again, I decided to leave after my call. And then she was beside me, with her beautiful smile, speaking to me. I knew there was something special about her, her voice was like music to my ears. I was very good at hiding how I was feeling at that moment. I never believed in love at first sight. Till I met Soporu. I just might be in love, cos what’s this irregular heartbeat?

I had to speak to her again. So I found an opening when she said they were going to get drinks.

“Ugonna!”

“What?” I came back to the present at the sound of her voice.

“Nina stepped out for a bit.”

“Oh… ok,” I said.

She stared at me for what seemed like eons.

“I wasn’t completely honest with you,” she said.

“Ok? About?” I asked her. I was interested in what she had to say. I was interested in everything about her.

“I told you I liked how you smell,” she began, “it isn’t a lie, I do like how you smell, but that was just an excuse to talk to you. I think you looked or look nice.”

I was dumbfounded. “Err, wow!”

“I am not this bold,” she chuckled nervously. “But for some reason, talking to you is easy.”

Whatever had tied my tongue loosened at that instant. “Talking to you is easy too. I want to keep talking to you. I want to keep listening to your voice.”

She stared at me with those pretty eyes of hers.

“I’m also not this bold,” I continued, “But I’d like to see you again after today. If it’s ok, can I have your number?”

“It’s perfect,” she beamed at me.

I took out my phone and handed it to her. She typed in her number, and dialed it so she could have mine.

“It was nice meeting you,” I said to her.

“Same here,” she smiled.

“I think… no, scratch that, you’re the most beautiful lady I’ve ever seen. I thought I should be honest too, since you were.”

If she could turn scarlet, I know she would have.

“Thank you,” she managed. “We, uhm, we have a Valentine’s I program, organized by the youths of my church. Nina is in the planning committee and she keeps saying it would be mind blowing. If you’ll be available next Saturday, I’d love for you to come. We’re also visiting Old People’s home in the morning , before the program in the evening. So, come out with whatever you wish to give out as a gift.”

“I would love to,” I said. “I don’t have plans.”

“Perfect. Then it’s a dat—err, sorry. It’s a plan.” She blushed some more.

“It’s a date, if that’s what you want.”

She smiled at me. That was definitely her answer.

Nina walked in then. She looked at both of us before sitting down. “Ok, you both are blushing.”

“Well, something interesting just happened,” Sopuru replied her.

“Tell me,” Nina prompted.

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

It was fun watching them bicker like kids. What was even better? I had Sopuru’s number. That was all that mattered.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My sister's wedding

My Sister's wedding II

Dare to Dance